PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of getting WMA support in SoftSqueeze?

Malor
2006-02-12, 09:54
I just started using the XMRadio plugin... XM streams in WMA. I can stream fine to my two physical Squeezeboxes, but I'd like to also stream to my computer via SoftSqueeze, which doesn't seem to work.

I see wmadec at svn.slimdevices.com, but I'm completely confused about how to actually check it out, not having used subversion before.

So before I start wrestling with that some more, is there any chance of getting WMA support directly into SoftSqueeze?

rtitmuss
2006-02-12, 13:11
On 12 Feb 2006, at 16:54, Malor wrote:

> So before I start wrestling with that some more, is there any chance of
> getting WMA support directly into SoftSqueeze?

Not soon. It's not easy getting Java to play WMA streams. As you'll see
in some other threads I've started developing squeezeslave, a native
squeezebox emulator. It's likely that I'll be adding WMA support (on
Windows only) over the next week or so. At some stage when squeezeslave
is more mature I plan to integrate squeezeslave into Softsqueeze, so
eventually WMA will be supported in Softsqueeze.

Richard

GoCubs
2006-02-13, 07:45
On 12 Feb 2006, at 16:54, Malor wrote:

> So before I start wrestling with that some more, is there any chance of
> getting WMA support directly into SoftSqueeze?

Not soon. It's not easy getting Java to play WMA streams. As you'll see
in some other threads I've started developing squeezeslave, a native
squeezebox emulator. It's likely that I'll be adding WMA support (on
Windows only) over the next week or so. At some stage when squeezeslave
is more mature I plan to integrate squeezeslave into Softsqueeze, so
eventually WMA will be supported in Softsqueeze.

From what I understand SoftSqueeze can indirectly play WMA feeds by having the Server use wmadec (on a Windows machine) to convert it into something Softsqeeze can stream. On a Linux machine it should also work if you have AlienBBC installed which uses mplayer instead of wmadec to do the conversion.

-Greg

Chuck Pelto
2006-02-13, 10:19
Upgraded my SLIMP3 software to 6.2.1 today. Now all my playlists are
gone.

How do I restore them?

Regards,

Chuck

Malor
2006-02-13, 13:06
Ok, that's cool, thanks for the reply. If you'd like a beta tester on squeezeslave, drop me a note at sl_imserv%er at m*al_or.c*_om, less the punctuation. I have a Linux server, two real Squeezeboxen, and Windows and a G4 Mac for testing.

Am I correct in reading, from these comments, that wmadec, if I ever figure out how to check it out from the server, will not work to translate WMA streams on Linux? I need to use AlienBBC?

GoCubs
2006-02-14, 09:50
Ok, that's cool, thanks for the reply. If you'd like a beta tester on squeezeslave, drop me a note at sl_imserv%er at m*al_or.c*_om, less the punctuation. I have a Linux server, two real Squeezeboxen, and Windows and a G4 Mac for testing.

Am I correct in reading, from these comments, that wmadec, if I ever figure out how to check it out from the server, will not work to translate WMA streams on Linux? I need to use AlienBBC?

Yeah, from what I understand if you install AlienBBC it will have you install mplayer. Once mplayer is installed, it should be able to handle the wma streams on Linux.

-Greg