PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question re: browsing

pedalvet
2006-02-12, 08:07
Hi guys. I'me thinking about getting a Squeezbox, but seem to be missing a thing or two. I've been brwsing around this site and the forums but still don't get it.

I have a large music collection (>1200 CDs, and an additional 60GB on my hard drive). I'd like to put my entire collection on a large drive of some sort, and be able to access it from from my stereo.

Here's my question: how do you browse a large collection using the remote control? It seems pretty unweildy, as there is no qwerty keyboard or jog wheel type device. Does one need to scroll alphabetically? In other words, how do I find my favorite album using just the remote?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Dave

fathom39
2006-02-12, 09:32
The remote keys 0 - 9 work like those on a cell phone.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-12, 09:39
Here's my question: how do you browse a large collection using the remote control? It seems pretty unweildy, as there is no qwerty keyboard or jog wheel type device. Does one need to scroll alphabetically? In other words, how do I find my favorite album using just the remote?

You can hit the 'Search' button, type in a few letters of the album name (the numbers on the remote work like on a cell phone), or you can use Browse by Artist (or Album or Genre or Year) and find it that way, using the remote keys then jump you around the list: pressing 6 will take you to the M's. Or you can use 'Browse Music Folder' which is layed out just like you have your music on your hard drive...

Or if you're playing a track, you can right-arrow in the track to get track details, then go down a couple lines to the artist line, and do another right arrow and it will take you to the albums that artist is on...

So many ways to find things.

pedalvet
2006-02-12, 10:14
Thanks, Snarly. That makes it a little clearer for me to understand.

When you say "like a cell phone" you mean tap 3 times to get from "a" to "b" to "c" on the 1st key, or 3 times to get from "d" to "e" to "f" on the second key etc?

That seems pretty cumbersome. How do people find using it?

snarlydwarf
2006-02-12, 10:22
Yep, exactly like that. Though you don't have to type the whole thing, a few characters will do. It's not as hard as it sounds since 3 or 4 characters is enough to limit things to a manageable level if you choose decent search terms.

There is a plugin that searches as you type, limiting your choices as you type more (sort of like how a cell phone has a dictionary). I haven't tried it though.

ceejay
2006-02-12, 10:28
Thanks, Snarly. That makes it a little clearer for me to understand.

When you say "like a cell phone" you mean tap 3 times to get from "a" to "b" to "c" on the 1st key, or 3 times to get from "d" to "e" to "f" on the second key etc?

That seems pretty cumbersome. How do people find using it?

Well, most of us obviously manage somehow! The browse and search features via the UI are pretty good - but if you want more you can always use a web browser (eg on a wireless PDA or Nokia 770).

However all the describing in the world isn't really going to help you, so... just download the slimserver software (its free) and install Softsqueeze (which comes with it), which is a complete Java-based emulator of a Squeezebox. Using this you can see EXACTLY how it all works before you part with your hard-earned $$.

Only one word of warning - you may not want to stop at buying just the one....

Ceejay

pedalvet
2006-02-12, 13:35
Hmm. Using multi tap on the remote sounds like a pain to me. However, sounds like I might be able to use my Treo! Now this is getting really interesting.

But I guess most of you don't find it difficult to get to your music using the remote, so maybe I should give it a try.

ceejay
2006-02-12, 15:27
As you'll find out if you start to play with it, there are many different ways to get to the music ... which I think is probably why it works.

You can browse. Or search. By artist, album, song title. Best of all, if you take the trouble to fix up your tagging, you can get to it by genres (multiple genres-per track being the killer here). Or you can load up some companion app like MusicMagicMixer to mix up stuff for you. And that's even before you factor in the internet radio.

So many ways, so much music, so little time...

Do try it!

Ceejay

JJZolx
2006-02-12, 15:51
Hi guys. I'me thinking about getting a Squeezbox, but seem to be missing a thing or two. I've been brwsing around this site and the forums but still don't get it.

I have a large music collection (>1200 CDs, and an additional 60GB on my hard drive). I'd like to put my entire collection on a large drive of some sort, and be able to access it from from my stereo.

A lot of people (myself included) don't bother with the remote. While many people find it usable, I find it very cumbersome. With a large collection, scrolling through 500 artists, or 1200 albums becomes pretty tedious. Using the search facility is a little better, but still very slow when you have a large collection.

A better interface by far is the web interface. You can queue up music from any computer connected to your home network, including using a wireless PDA or laptop in your listening room. Browsing is actually "browsing" when you can page through the album artwork in your library. And searching is infinitely easier with a qwerty keyboard and monitor at your disposal. The remote interface is a last resort, IMO. If it weren't for the web interface I wouldn't be using a Squeezebox.

Steve Baumgarten
2006-02-12, 16:13
JJZolx wrote:

> A lot of people (myself included) don't bother with the remote. While
> many people find it usable, I find it very cumbersome. With a large
> collection, scrolling through 500 artists, or 1200 albums becomes
> pretty tedious. Using the search facility is a little better, but
> still very slow when you have a large collection.

Except if you use the Lazy Search plugin, which rocks. Then the process
of searching becomes much more like writing a text message with a cell
phone: you get what seems a lot like predictive typing. So generally
just 3 key presses will get you close to the artist or album you were
thinking of, and you can continue browsing normally from there.

I used to avoid the remote for music searching/browsing, too. Lazy
Search changed all that. It's way cool.

http://hickinbottom.demon.co.uk/development/slimserver-development/lazy-search

SBB