PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Album Name Length?

jclay
2006-02-12, 03:10
Hi all

Can someone please let me know if there's a restriction on the maximum length of an Album Name? All my albums seem to be truncated to 30 characters, even though the ID Tagging is correctly showing album names which are longer than this.

If 30 is currently set to the maximum, is there a way to change this?

Many thanks, and cheers for such a great piece of software!

James.

ceejay
2006-02-12, 03:15
Slimserver itself can certainly handle much longer Album names than this. I think this problem is usually attributable to the tags being used - I seem to remember that ID3v1 tags have a limited length.

Can you confirm what file type (MP3?) you are using, and which tag types you have?

Mp3tag will certainly tell you which type you have, there was a thread not very long ago giving exact instructions on how to do this, have a search...

Ceejay

pfarrell
2006-02-12, 07:58
ceejay wrote:
> Slimserver itself can certainly handle much longer Album names than
> this. I think this problem is usually attributable to the tags being
> used - I seem to remember that ID3v1 tags have a limited length.

Right, the problems is 99% likely that the OP has ID3v1 tags.
The solution is simple, use ID3V2 or V3 tags.
Just remember to remove the ID3v1 tags to keep from confusing things.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-12, 10:16
ID3v1 tags have a 30-character limit.

Mp3tag will cache tag data within a session so it looks like you can enter 30-character+ data, but that's not what's written. If you close Mp3tag and open it again, you'll see everything is cut off at 30 characters.

If you have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags (which don't have a limit) it becomes even more confusing as Mp3tag will read the data from the ID3v2 tags but SlimServer will read truncated data from ID3v1 tags.

The solution as Pat points out is to write ID3v2 tags only and remove the ID3v1 tags.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20360

jpj
2006-02-12, 18:11
ID3v1 tags have a 30-character limit.

Mp3tag will cache tag data within a session so it looks like you can enter 30-character+ data, but that's not what's written. If you close Mp3tag and open it again, you'll see everything is cut off at 30 characters.

If you have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags (which don't have a limit) it becomes even more confusing as Mp3tag will read the data from the ID3v2 tags but SlimServer will read truncated data from ID3v1 tags.

The solution as Pat points out is to write ID3v2 tags only and remove the ID3v1 tags.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20360

I've never had the truncated display problem, despite using both ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.3 tags in all my MP3 files. These include original MP3 rips, transcoded FLAC rips, and retagged files from other sources.

One reason is probably my preferred tagging tool, the industrial-strength MP3 Tag Studio:
http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/

Like most feature rich utilities, MP3TS can seem overwhelming at first glance, but its capabilities far outdistance the competition. I'm surprised that it's not better known on this forum. Such an insanely powerful app really should be the geek's tagger of choice. Try it, you'll like it.

Oh, back to the original point: Even though most of my library is now FLAC, SlimServer never truncated the overlong fields when I used MP3 only. And I still have a few MP3 sets (ripped elsewhere, retagged by me) that prove the point. I suppose a code crawl would also agree if I wasn't too lazy.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from deleting the older v1.1 tags. But in my usage, MP3TS truncates those as needed while writing the complete v2.3 tags, and SlimServer is happy to respect the latter. In general, I believe dual tagging "done right" solves more compatibility issues than it creates. But as always, your mileage may vary.

geoffb
2006-02-13, 08:10
On 2/12/06, jpj <jpj.2358rb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> One reason is probably my preferred tagging tool, the
> industrial-strength MP3 Tag Studio:
> http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/
>
> Such an insanely
> powerful app really should be the geek's tagger of choice. Try it,
> you'll like it.

Looks interesting, although I think that (based on the screenshots)
MP3Tag is a bit geekier. It looks like a nicer UI though.
One of the most valuable features (to me) of MP3Tag is that it allows
me to use a Tag->Filename string like:

d:\incoming\$replace($replace($replace($replace(%a rtist%,/,-),'&','+'),':','-'),'?','')\$replace($replace($replace($replace(%al bum%,/,-),'&','+'),':','-'),'?','')$if($isdigit(%DISC%),\Disc
%DISC%$iflonger(%DISCTITLE%,0,(%DISCTITLE%),),)\$r eplace($replace($replace($replace(%artist%,/,-),'&','+'),':','-'),'?','')
- $replace($replace($replace($replace(%album%,/,-),'&','+'),':','-'),'?','')
- $num(%track%,2) -
$replace($replace($replace($replace(%title%,/,-),&,+),':',','),?,)

This lets me replace illegal characters with the character of my
choice in each case, and also end up with directory structures that
vary depending on whether the disc is a multi-disc set. For example:
D:\incoming\Bill Hicks\Egham\Disc 1\Bill Hicks - Egham - 01 - Fascists
1 Humans Nothing.mp3

Also, being able to use regular expressions in actions on tags is
invaluable. Even for simple stuff like removing numbers from the
front of filenames - I've yet to hit a limit on it.
Cheers
Geoff

jclay
2006-02-15, 00:33
Hi

The problem was indeed the version of tags that were applied to most of my mp3s. This is now fixed and Album Names are appearing exactly as expected.

Thanks for your speedy advice!

:-)
James.