PDA

View Full Version : Want info on a UK customer ordering SB3 direct from Slim Devices

PeterFitzgerald
2006-02-10, 09:24
I live in London in the UK and am looking to buy two SB3's.

With the $100 off two offer that is currently available by ordering direct from Slim devices it would seem that even UK customers can save money by ordering direct.

Looking at the site, there seems to be no duty on the SB to the UK and that only VAT at 17.5% on the cost and delivery is liable on receipt of the goods.

This would make it $500 for two SB'3 with the discount Delivery is about $50. This converts to about 315. Vat at 17.5% gives a total of 370. WHich is a saving of about 55 on the best price I can find on the web here.

Has anyone else from the UK here ordered direct from Slim and did the vat charge etc end up pretty much as I have calculated?

How long did delivery take etc.

audiofi
2006-02-10, 09:27
I haven't ordered an SB3 direct, but based on experience of buying from America, you need to add on roughly 22% for customs fees as the courier also charges a 'handling fee' where customs are involved.

Customs is also charged on the total amount including postage

Hope this helps you a little

Andrew

mattybain
2006-02-10, 09:32
I ordered a SB2 last March from SD to the UK, as you say the price is the price you pay slimdevices + delivery charge +17.5% (hence VAT on the delivery charge).

Yes I agree with all your calculations and that you would end up paying about 370 (given that you get the current exchange rate of $1.75 : 1)

Best Price I can find in the uk is about 214 so yes you are getting a bargain.

Now you mention it think I may put in an order myself. Can you definitely get the $50 delivery?

mattybain
2006-02-10, 09:33
I haven't ordered an SB3 direct, but based on experience of buying from America, you need to add on roughly 22% for customs fees as the courier also charges a 'handling fee' where customs are involved.

Customs is also charged on the total amount including postage

Hope this helps you a little

Andrew

No I disagree with that, I definitely didn't pay any customs fees. I think the SD website makes it quite clear that duty is 0% into the UK.

PeterFitzgerald
2006-02-10, 09:42
A couple of weeks ago I mocked up an order just to get as far as the delivery pages in order to find out how much delivery was.

I was given two delivery options, one slow one for $45 or so and a faster one for about $55.

audiofi
2006-02-10, 09:59
From here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/ups.html

In addition to duty and VAT, UPS may collect a small customs clearance fee.

As with importing most things, its generally a lottery whether customs pick it up or not

funkstar
2006-02-10, 10:59
Multitask computing do a two box deal for 400 including DHL delivery. You might be able to save some money by importing them, but for me it was just easier this was :)

Philip Meyer
2006-02-10, 11:10
Have you considered where you would stand if you need to return a faulty unit? I imagine it would cost a bit!

Phil

anr105
2006-02-10, 16:50
Ordered an SB2 direct from SD last summer and got hit with customs charge (+DHL handling fee) about 35ish.
Worked out same price as ordering direct in the UK.
Seems pretty much hit and miss if customs charge you.

technograndad
2006-02-11, 04:31
I live in London in the UK and am looking to buy two SB3's.

With the $100 off two offer that is currently available by ordering direct from Slim devices it would seem that even UK customers can save money by ordering direct.

Looking at the site, there seems to be no duty on the SB to the UK and that only VAT at 17.5% on the cost and delivery is liable on receipt of the goods.

This would make it $500 for two SB'3 with the discount Delivery is about $50. This converts to about 315. Vat at 17.5% gives a total of 370. WHich is a saving of about 55 on the best price I can find on the web here.

Has anyone else from the UK here ordered direct from Slim and did the vat charge etc end up pretty much as I have calculated?

How long did delivery take etc.

Three weeks ago I ordered a pair of SB3s just as you are proposing, I dont have the invoice to hand but it worked roughly out as you state. I ordered on the Monday and had optimistically hoped for a Friday delivery, but it took until the next Monday morning (having landed in the UK on Friday night - I watched the package's progress on the UPS website), so a full 7 days really.

I wasn't asked for any additional customs duty. Guess I was lucky!

I have NO regrets buying these beauties :-)

John

Philip Meyer
2006-02-13, 02:17
>Multitask computing do a two box deal for 400 including DHL delivery.
>You might be able to save some money by importing them, but for me it
>was just easier this was :)

I am interested in this deal, but I couldn't find anything on their site. Do you know where you saw this offer exactly?

Phil

catdna
2006-02-13, 06:14
You could buy them from SimplyAutomate in the UK:

(currently priced at 176.17 Ex VAT for the wireless, and 153.18 Ex VAT for the wired versions).

(wireless)
http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=6200

and

(wired)
http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productdisplay.asp?prodid=6197

- I bought my SqueezeBox2 from them last year - good service and they give you a discount depending on how many you buy.

Geoggy
2006-02-13, 09:11
another vote for simply automate.

great customer service and great price.