PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media player not staying synced wiht stream

Strange_Will
2006-02-09, 16:06
So I connect with the stream, then change the song, WMP will play the entire song, then sometimes go to the next song or lose connection.

SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 6152 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Works fine on J River Media Center (but it stutters)

I didn't install it I just unzipped it.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-09, 17:06
Windows Media Player (and Winamp and probably most other mp3 stream players) buffer things. Ie, to make it more resiliant to network hiccups, it will try to keep the next few seconds of the song: there is a setting in Winamp to control this, I would assume WMP would have a similar one.

A much better solution is to use Softsqueeze: it's under 'Help' on the Slimserver web page. This is a Java emulator of the Squeezebox. It doesn't use the 'stream.mp3' method, but uses the same protocols that a real squeezebox uses.

It does buffer (it has to ... there's nothing wrong with buffering since it does protect against short network problems), but it also recognizes the SlimProto, "Hey, I changed tracks, throw away your buffer and switch to this."

Strange_Will
2006-02-10, 07:41
Windows Media Player (and Winamp and probably most other mp3 stream players) buffer things. Ie, to make it more resiliant to network hiccups, it will try to keep the next few seconds of the song: there is a setting in Winamp to control this, I would assume WMP would have a similar one.

A much better solution is to use Softsqueeze: it's under 'Help' on the Slimserver web page. This is a Java emulator of the Squeezebox. It doesn't use the 'stream.mp3' method, but uses the same protocols that a real squeezebox uses.

It does buffer (it has to ... there's nothing wrong with buffering since it does protect against short network problems), but it also recognizes the SlimProto, "Hey, I changed tracks, throw away your buffer and switch to this."

Oh I understand buffering, but it wouldn't switch songs at all, and it would finish the song, even though other players would switch.

Thanks man :D