PDA

View Full Version : New SB3 owner

cjhabs
2006-02-09, 16:05
Hi
Just wanted to say that I finally bought my first SB3 today and am looking forward to the new toy being delivered next week.

I have been lurking in the forums for a month. I have Slimserver running with all my cds ripped and playing wirelessly through SoftSqueeze on a downstairs computer hooked to my Denon receiver and Bozak speakers.

The SB3 will connect wirelessly to my JVC home theatre system although I have a feeling I'll end up buying a new pair of good bookshelf speakers to enjoy the high quality music.

I also bought a Sonic T-amp for my Squeezebox boombox.

I'm particularly looking forward to using Pandora and Last.fm as I enjoy discovering new music.

Finally, I've done a fair bit of Perl coding in the past so I'm partial to Slimserver. Hopefully I'll get a chance to "get my hands dirty" at some point - the wife and kids permitting!!!

Cheers

Habs

IndyDan
2006-02-09, 16:21
If you're like me, you cannot wait for your SB to arrive! I own a SB 2, and have it connected (CAT-5) to my Onkyo surround system with Infinity Beta towers, bookshelves, and a 12" Velodyne sub using the optical output. The SB is an awesome device. Many internet radio stations sound as good (to me) as listening to one of my Cd's. When the SB is powered off, I use the plug-in that displays the current time and weather conditions. A lot of my friends thought it was a portable weather station until I showed them what all it is capable of doing. My particular Onkyo (TX-NR800) receiver has the net-tune capability, but it is lacking in many ways and you're limited to radio stations that Onkyo picks for you, and most are very low bitrate. The software it uses is lacking in many ways and could be much improved. On the other hand, the Slimserver is superior in comparison and makes customizing the SB a breeze. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-09, 17:14
The SB3 will connect wirelessly to my JVC home theatre system although I have a feeling I'll end up buying a new pair of good bookshelf speakers to enjoy the high quality music.

Just make sure you turn off JVC-remote compatibility or the SB will act funny whenever you touch your JVC remote.

And, yeah, I'm amused that you idle around on purchases like I do... I think it took me a month of staring at the order form to actually decide to go for it.

cjhabs
2006-02-09, 19:57
Just make sure you turn off JVC-remote compatibility or the SB will act funny whenever you touch your JVC remote.

Thanks for the tip - I'll do that.