PDA

View Full Version : DTS files

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-09, 12:52
I'm really enjoying the ability to play surround files on the SB3. I've converted all my DTS CDs to FLAC files. I'm also considering a purchase of software which would allow me to create DTS files from SACDs and DVDs.

One concern is how to keep these files from being played as whitenoise in Squeezeboxes that are NOT hooked up to a DTS decoder. I'm using DTS as a separate genre, so I can limit it from Random Mixes, but they could still come up in an artist playlist.

Would it be possible to consider .dts as a separate filetype, then have an option to enable or disable DTS playback for each player? That would seem to be the most elegant solution.

adhawkins
2006-02-09, 15:08
Hi,

In article <Pale.Blue.Ego.22za6b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Pale Blue Ego<Pale.Blue.Ego.22za6b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I'm really enjoying the ability to play surround files on the SB3. I've
> converted all my DTS CDs to FLAC files. I'm also considering a purchase
> of software which would allow me to create DTS files from SACDs and
> DVDs.

I'm already creating DTS files from DVDs (assuming they have either a 5.1 or
DTS soundtrack on them).

However, I'm interested in how you're going to do it for SACDs?

Also, how do you rip a DTS CD?

Thanks

Andy

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-09, 17:36
I'm already creating DTS files from DVDs (assuming they have either a 5.1 or
DTS soundtrack on them).

However, I'm interested in how you're going to do it for SACDs?

Also, how do you rip a DTS CD?

Thanks

Andy

What software do you use to get the DTS files from DVD? DVD Decrypter? I know it can demux to ac3 files, haven't tried with a DTS DVD.

For SACD, you'd need a soundcard that can digitize 6 analog streams, then something to encode to DTS (probably SurCode DVD-DTS).

I'm ripping DTS CDs using EAC --> WAV. Encode to FLAC, and they play prfectly through the SB3. Of course you have to have it hooked to a DTS decoder, and must disable the digital volume control (or leave it on 40).

adhawkins
2006-02-10, 02:54
Hi,

In article <Pale.Blue.Ego.22zndb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Pale Blue Ego<Pale.Blue.Ego.22zndb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> What software do you use to get the DTS files from DVD? DVD Decrypter?
> I know it can demux to ac3 files, haven't tried with a DTS DVD.

SmartRipper. There's a thread in the ripping forum with full instructions on
getting both DD5.1 and DTS soundtracks off a DVD into a format playable by
the SqueezeBox.

> For SACD, you'd need a soundcard that can digitize 6 analog streams,
> then something to encode to DTS (probably SurCode DVD-DTS).

Will the encoder that comes with Nero be sufficient?

> I'm ripping DTS CDs using EAC --> WAV. Encode to FLAC, and they play
> prfectly through the SB3. Of course you have to have it hooked to a
> DTS decoder, and must disable the digital volume control (or leave it
> on 40).

So it's just a straight rip as if it's a normal CD? I think I tried that
with a Pink Floyd DTS CD I've got, but it didn't work.

I know about all the requirements about a DTS decoder and volume control
(they also apply to the DTS soundtracks from a DVD).

How about ripping music from DVD Audio?

Thanks

Andy

Philip Meyer
2006-02-10, 05:38
>Would it be possible to consider .dts as a separate filetype, then have
>an option to enable or disable DTS playback for each player? That would
>seem to be the most elegant solution.

I have the same problem, but this solution wouldn't completely work for me.

My SB2 in the lounge is connected via both analog output to the HiFi and digital output to a surround sound amp (normally used for the TV). I mainly play stereo music through the HiFi.

But occassionally I play DTS music. When I do this, I ensure that I have switched off the HiFi because I get the white-noise through the analog outputs. However, occasionally the SB will decide to play a DTS track when I am not expecting it.

I too have set up a genre to indicate music that should only be played through the digital-out (so I can quickly find the music). But I also have other genres for those music files.

Eg. I have a Pink Floyd surround sound album, which had a "progressive rock" genre, and I added a "Digital" genre.

So if I have a random mix for "Progressive Rock", it may decide to play this music, even though I have deselected "Digital" from the mix (because random mix includes if any genre matches).

Enabling/disabling playback for each player would solve the issue for my bedroom SB, but not for the lounge use, where I use both outputs.

Phil

smst
2006-02-13, 10:59
Would it be possible to consider .dts as a separate filetype, then have an option to enable or disable DTS playback for each player? That would seem to be the most elegant solution.
I've thought about this before; an alternative solution might be to standardise on a FLAC tag indicating the presence of digital (not just DTS) data, which could be used to disable analogue outputs (and perhaps have other effects). This would require support in the firmware, however.

And the harder bit: deciding on the name of the tag! Currently I use SPDIF_ONLY with a value of, say "DTS" (with the intention that any non-null value means "this is digital"). But I don't actually do anything with that tag. :-)