PDA

View Full Version : Traffic SB <- -> Squeezenetwork: encrypted or secure?

WernerT
2006-02-09, 09:47
Is the traffic between the SB and the Squeezenetwork (or the Slimserver) in any way secure or encrypted? Or can it all be viewed with a (wireless) networksniffer without much hassle?

In a here-and-now where privacy seems a value of the past, I'm eager to find out...

snarlydwarf
2006-02-09, 10:28
Is the traffic between the SB and the Squeezenetwork (or the Slimserver) in any way secure or encrypted? Or can it all be viewed with a (wireless) networksniffer without much hassle?

In a here-and-now where privacy seems a value of the past, I'm eager to find out...

Well, wouldn't sniffing the wireless connection be based on whatever security you chose on your router and SB? (Ie, don't use WEP ... use WPA or WPA2.)

I don't think the traffic between the SB and Squeezenetwork is encrypted end-to-end, but, then, I don't see a reason it really needs to be except perhaps for some net radio stations with passwords in the URL.

If someone is snooping anything on the path other than your wireless link, you have bigger problems. If they're snooping your wireless link then TKIP or AES have been broken and we all have serious problems. :)

WernerT
2006-02-09, 10:45
I don't see a reason it really needs to be except perhaps for some net radio stations with passwords in the URL.

I meant end-to-end encryption, sorry if I was unclear about that. I'd rather not see my logins (for squeezenetwork and paid stations) go unencrypted over the net.

If there is no encryption or security: is the traffic (at least the login part) in human readable form? Like pop3?