PDA

View Full Version : How's the Tech Support?



bobframe
2006-02-09, 09:08
As a computer owner I frequently rely on tech support for problem resolution. I find the quality (knowledge, communications skills, etc.) to vary wildly. How is the support from Slim Devices??

kdf
2006-02-09, 09:43
On 9-Feb-06, at 8:05 AM, bobframe wrote:

>
> I'm considering buying a SB3 but I'm put off by something I read. That
> is, I can't play music that I bought on the iTunes store. Did I
> misread this? If that is correct, can someone explain this?? This
> could be enough to queer the deal.
>
nothing can play your iTunes DRM files aside from apple hardware
(airport) or licensed PC's running quicktime.
-k

MrC
2006-02-09, 10:18
As a computer owner I frequently rely on tech support for problem resolution. I find the quality (knowledge, communications skills, etc.) to vary wildly. How is the support from Slim Devices??

Outstanding, as are the members of the Slim forums as well. You'll have no problems getting answers and assistance.

klausbgva
2006-02-10, 02:27
Slimdevices,

Has one of the best support teams I have ever worked with.

rkeeney
2006-02-10, 07:50
As a computer owner I frequently rely on tech support for problem resolution. I find the quality (knowledge, communications skills, etc.) to vary wildly. How is the support from Slim Devices??

Of all of the technology products I own that required tech support, the SB and associated software support have been the most responsive and helpful. That includes this forum of knowledgeable and dedicated users.

Rob..........

Kyle
2006-02-10, 09:28
The only drawback is that they are only open during normal business hours -- no 24-hour techline. However, the forums here can answer just about any question you may have -- usually within a few minutes of posting.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-10, 09:37
And if kdf is online, he can answer -before- you ask.

carram
2006-02-10, 13:00
I have also found the support extremely helpful not just from the official channels but also from the forum users.

I had a lot of problem getting the SB3 to work the first time I tried to connect it (turned out I was making a mistake with my router) but as soon as I had posted a request on the forum within an a few minute I had a reply for a user givng me advice on what to do. It worked too!

Very pleased with my SB3.

Ron

wickedbob
2006-02-10, 13:46
Hi Bobframe

I am a recent user with a SB3 and I have to say that the email tech support is average. Compared to other support departments, there doesn't seem to be a clear line of questioning to narrow the focus on what is causing problems. The responses I have received so far seem fairly limited.
Response times seem to average around 24 hours.

The only support I have received from this forum seems to be people saying they don't have the same problem or that they have a similar problem and haven't resolved it.

Love my squeezebox, even though it doesn't work without a computer.
Hoping things will improve soon.

Michaelwagner
2006-02-10, 19:36
And if kdf is online, he can answer -before- you ask.
Dan never sleeps ... I have the timestamped replies to prove it.

MrC
2006-02-10, 21:47
Hi Bobframe

I am a recent user with a SB3 and I have to say that the email tech support is average. Compared to other support departments, there doesn't seem to be a clear line of questioning to narrow the focus on what is causing problems. The responses I have received so far seem fairly limited.
Response times seem to average around 24 hours.

The only support I have received from this forum seems to be people saying they don't have the same problem or that they have a similar problem and haven't resolved it.

Love my squeezebox, even though it doesn't work without a computer.
Hoping things will improve soon.

Wickedbob,

It is good to voice opinions both pro and con, in order to present a balanced point of view. But the way you're presenting your facts seem a bit unbalanced.

You've essentially posted two two threads: 1) trouble with Squeezenetwork and 2) trouble with Squeezenetwork.

The CEO of the company has responded in the forum to you 6 times. The first response indicated that Squeezenetwork was undergoing some overload issues. Others have indicated that lag could also be part of the trouble. And someone else in the forum asked you what timezone you were in - you did not respond.

If I've surmised correctly, you live in New Zeland (if I understood one of your posts, where you spent NZ$600 for your SB.). I'm sure that's not helping your connection to California. When you are having SQN connection troubles, do you have any idea of what your traceroute data shows, or how to get such information? There are a lot of hops (routers) between California and New Zeland.

About your response times being 24 hours, I read in one of your messsages that you sent email on a Sunday. Folks halfway around the globe are likely to see delays when contacting any support that operates 9-5.

It doesn't seem fair to downgrade tech support because they are unable to help you resolve a problem that is currently a known problem.

Skunk
2006-02-11, 07:08
Hi Bobframe

I am a recent user with a SB3 and I have to say that the email tech support is average.

Please don't get me wrong, I feel the customer service is second to none at SD. I did want to say, however, tech support via live chat is a great service to offer. My hosting company uses this and I LOVE it.

wickedbob
2006-02-11, 14:38
It is good to voice opinions both pro and con, in order to present a balanced point of view. But the way you're presenting your facts seem a bit unbalanced.
I don't think so. You do not have all the communications that I have made with slimdevices and are only relying on two forum threads which don't actually go into the details of my technical problems. Who is being unbalanced??


The CEO of the company has responded in the forum to you 6 times.
Yes and he recommended that I email tech support. Your point is...?


And someone else in the forum asked you what timezone you were in - you did not respond.
For the life of me, I cannot find this question at all. I mean no offence to the person who asked it but I cannot see a timezone question in any of my threads.


When you are having SQN connection troubles, do you have any idea of what your traceroute data shows, or how to get such information? There are a lot of hops (routers) between California and New Zeland.
You are the first person on this forum to ask me a question that could be related to my problem... three threads later. This was what I meant about my comments on this forum.


About your response times being 24 hours, I read in one of your messsages that you sent email on a Sunday. Folks halfway around the globe are likely to see delays when contacting any support that operates 9-5.
Over the past 7 days, I have sent 7 emails and received 6 replies. All emails have been sent and received at different times of the day. On average there is a 24 hour gap between each email.
I have three accounts with US businesses and never have experienced any delays in email from them because I am "halfway around the globe". In fact, on average, I have multiple contacts in a single 24-hour period with other US-based tech support departments.
During this email exchange all we have done is pinged a website address. That is it. No investigation into my squeezebox or router settings or any comprehensive process into what could be causing my problems, which is why I stated that the email tech support at slimdevices was average.


It doesn't seem fair to downgrade tech support because they are unable to help you resolve a problem that is currently a known problem.
Then why does this 'known' problem not affect my use of the squeezenetwork when using the softsqueeze player?

To put things in perspective, I am a newbie both in terms of my squeezebox and this forum. You will have already noticed that the majority of people who have positive experiences of this forum also have high post numbers, unlike me.
My intention is to provide my own experiences to someone who is asking the question "How's the Tech Support?". At this stage, my experiences aren't terrific.