PDA

View Full Version : Set Up Issues

pablolie
2006-02-09, 01:53
Odd, just got my Squeezebox, and I thought it'd be a snap to set it up.

If I connect it to my wireless router (Linksys) with a wired Ethernet connection, it flies through the configuration just fine, finds the Slimserver, and off you go.

Unfortunately, I want to use wireless. Upon having it connect to my wireless network (ID, 64 bit WEP), it claims to connect, and I can tell on my wireless router that it has registered the MAC address. But upon proceeding with DHCP, things go very wrong.

None of my other wireless devices have an issue getting an IP from the usual Linksys private address range allocated, 192.168.1.xxx, ergo a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. But the Squeezebox mysteriously winds up getting some different address every time, some random 169.254.x.y address. Oddly enough, it still claims to be able to find the Slimsserver on 192.168.1.101 (at least today, since it is on DHCP it may be something else tomorrow). Not surprisingly, it is unable to connect successfully.

OK, so somethig is wrong with the Squeezebox' DHCP abilities. Let's move on an set things up by hand. I assign an IP address outside of the range I put under DHCP control, like 192.168.1.120. I enter the corrct subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I enter the DNS information that my computer has as well, say 68.94.157.1 in case this thing wants to connect to the squeezenetwork. And look, it finds 192.168.1.101, the slimserver. Alas, it can't connect to it.

I should point out there is nothing exotic about my computer configuration, and that I had disabled Windows XP Pro firewall and McAffee as well, also checked the TCP and UDP ports required were open. Very strange. I'll see if I need to fool around with the ports on the Linksys wireless router, but I am not sure why, they are standard settings that allow for a lot, and I've never had issues there...

Any pointers MUCH appreciated, thanks!

mherger
2006-02-09, 02:13
> Any pointers MUCH appreciated, thanks!

There's recently been an update to the players firmware which should
address wireless issues. Please download the latest nightly and give it a
try:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2.2/

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

pablolie
2006-02-09, 02:37
...if I may test your patience, any installation instructions for WinXP with those? I unzipped the first 2 and didn't quite know how to proceed, the readme. just talked about new skins?

Thanks...pablo

mherger
2006-02-09, 02:56
> ...if I may test your patience, any installation instructions for WinXP

Just download and run the Windows executable file. Don't bother about the
zip files.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

SoundBoy
2006-02-09, 05:44
Howdy.. what LinkSys router do you use. WRT54G V5 is NOT working with the 6.2.2 branch as of yesterday. 6.5.x does as 6.2.1 does. I am running the network with WAP prot. Beam me your settings. My SB3 loves the LinkSys. I do have audiodrop outs but that's a different story.. smile

Odd, just got my Squeezebox, and I thought it'd be a snap to set it up.

If I connect it to my wireless router (Linksys) with a wired Ethernet connection, it flies through the configuration just fine, finds the Slimserver, and off you go.

Unfortunately, I want to use wireless. Upon having it connect to my wireless network (ID, 64 bit WEP), it claims to connect, and I can tell on my wireless router that it has registered the MAC address. But upon proceeding with DHCP, things go very wrong.

None of my other wireless devices have an issue getting an IP from the usual Linksys private address range allocated, 192.168.1.xxx, ergo a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. But the Squeezebox mysteriously winds up getting some different address every time, some random 169.254.x.y address. Oddly enough, it still claims to be able to find the Slimsserver on 192.168.1.101 (at least today, since it is on DHCP it may be something else tomorrow). Not surprisingly, it is unable to connect successfully.

OK, so somethig is wrong with the Squeezebox' DHCP abilities. Let's move on an set things up by hand. I assign an IP address outside of the range I put under DHCP control, like 192.168.1.120. I enter the corrct subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I enter the DNS information that my computer has as well, say 68.94.157.1 in case this thing wants to connect to the squeezenetwork. And look, it finds 192.168.1.101, the slimserver. Alas, it can't connect to it.

I should point out there is nothing exotic about my computer configuration, and that I had disabled Windows XP Pro firewall and McAffee as well, also checked the TCP and UDP ports required were open. Very strange. I'll see if I need to fool around with the ports on the Linksys wireless router, but I am not sure why, they are standard settings that allow for a lot, and I've never had issues there...

Any pointers MUCH appreciated, thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-09, 06:53
Yes, it really depends on the router model.

If it's a WRT54G v1 - v4, all should be good and
you just need to do minor troubleshooting. You
can recognize a v4 by its serial number, starts
with CDFA. All the v1 - v4 routers use Linksys
firmware 4.20.7 (latest).

The v5's have serial numbers CDFB. Initial
firmware did not work with the SB3. However the
info I had indicated that the latest firmware
(1.00.6) does work with the SB3. The news that it
doesn't work with the new SB firmware in 6.2.2 (SB
firmware 29) is troubling.

The WRT54G v5 is really very different from the
v1-v4. It's been significantly "de-contented",
runs VxWorks firmware and really isn't the same
router. They should be marketing it under another
name.

If you want a v4, return the v5 and either look
around for an older v4 or get the "WRT54GL", which
is really a v4 and runs Linux firmware.

Incidentally I have a v4 running with 3rd party
DD-WRT firmware which works with my SB2 and SB3
perfectly in WPA mode, with SB firmware 28 (6.2.1)
and 29 (6.2.2). Doesn't work with WPA2 though,
but that's a minor issue.

If you have a router different than the WRT54G,
well, about the only advice I have for you is to
disable any "turbo G" or speed enhancement modes
and start with open encryption, gradually working
your way up to WPA using simple passphrases at first.

SoundBoy wrote:
> Howdy.. what LinkSys router do you use. WRT54G V5 is
NOT working with
> the 6.2.2 branch as of yesterday. 6.5.x does as
6.2.1 does. I am
> running the network with WAP prot. Beam me your
settings. My SB3 loves
> the LinkSys. I do have audiodrop outs but that's a
different story..
> smile
>
>
> pablolie Wrote:
>> Odd, just got my Squeezebox, and I thought it'd be
a snap to set it up.
>>
>> If I connect it to my wireless router (Linksys)
with a wired Ethernet
>> connection, it flies through the configuration just
fine, finds the
>> Slimserver, and off you go.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I want to use wireless. Upon having
it connect to my
>> wireless network (ID, 64 bit WEP), it claims to
connect, and I can tell
>> on my wireless router that it has registered the
MAC address. But upon
>> proceeding with DHCP, things go very wrong.
>>
>> None of my other wireless devices have an issue
getting an IP from the
>> usual Linksys private address range allocated,
192.168.1.xxx, ergo a
>> subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. But the Squeezebox
mysteriously winds up
>> getting some different address every time, some
random 169.254.x.y
>> address. Oddly enough, it still claims to be able
to find the
>> Slimsserver on 192.168.1.101 (at least today, since
it is on DHCP it
>> may be something else tomorrow). Not surprisingly,
it is unable to
>> connect successfully.
>>
>> OK, so somethig is wrong with the Squeezebox' DHCP
abilities. Let's
>> move on an set things up by hand. I assign an IP
address outside of the
>> range I put under DHCP control, like 192.168.1.120.
I enter the corrct
>> subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I enter the DNS
information that my computer
>> has as well, say 68.94.157.1 in case this thing
wants to connect to the
>> squeezenetwork. And look, it finds 192.168.1.101,
the slimserver. Alas,
>> it can't connect to it.
>>
>> I should point out there is nothing exotic about my
computer
>> configuration, and that I had disabled Windows XP
Pro firewall and
>> McAffee as well, also checked the TCP and UDP ports
required were open.
>> Very strange. I'll see if I need to fool around
with the ports on the
>> Linksys wireless router, but I am not sure why,
they are standard
>> settings that allow for a lot, and I've never had
issues there...
>>
>> Any pointers MUCH appreciated, thanks!
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

pablolie
2006-02-09, 09:58
The SBv3 is working now wirelessly using the Linksys BEFW11S4 (vers. 2) running firmware 1.45.10, the SBv3 (according to the label, the information section in the menu says squeezebox 2) is running firmware 29.

I should note that DHCP still doesn't work, but at least I can assign it an IP address outside of what the DHCP server uses it seems to work well enough, connecting to the Slimserver on my main computer, as well as squeezenetwork and internet radio.

It works, and it sounds *very* sharp to my audiophile ears connected to my trusty Accuphase 306v amplifier. I actually will run a series of experiments - I am sampling my CD collection in MP3 at 256kbps, and will listen to it myself and will also get others to test. I'll write results. Thus far, after listening to Brian Culbertson this morning, I am beyond impressed.

I also noticed that MSN-Music-purchased tracks and the SBv3 are not friends - when my SBv3 tried to play a puchased track from there the computer locked up monumentally, and this is a computer that has never ever crashed. I will keep the strictest separation between purschased and archived music, but it seems Slimserver is subversive and manages to find tracks elsewhere on the computer. Even though I configured Slimserver to just mind music on a mirrored 500G network drive (I have a lot of music to archive!) that will be my music archive henceforth. But I'll observe this closer.

ceejay
2006-02-09, 11:27
Glad its working! But if you have "audiophile" ears, do make sure you try listening in FLAC instead of MP3 - should sound noticeably better.

Ceejay