PDA

View Full Version : Shiny front panel

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-08, 17:08
New SB3 works great (love the DTS capability), but it sure sticks out in my all-black component rack. It even distracts from TV watching to some extent.

I'll try living with it for a few weeks, but my first thought was to get a can of flat black spray paint.

I like the look of the SB3, but it does stick out in some installations. I wish there was a non-reflective interchangable panel, and that may be something to consider for the next gen player.

Aesthetics matter to many people, and I'd hate to think Slim was losing some sales because of this issue.

If I do paint the silver panel, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

MeridianMan
2006-02-08, 20:41
I was thinking about doing the same thing. The silver stands out among my black Meridian 500 series equipment. SB3 is right sized, just need to try toning down the bling. Let me know how it goes and what type of paint you try (too cold here to paint outside yet and the fumes would overwhelm us in the apt).

Kyle
2006-02-08, 20:44
Heck, just get an SB2. It's flat black and has the same functionality. You can find 'em on ebay.

seanadams
2006-02-08, 20:45
You might want to look into anodizing....

notanatheist
2006-02-08, 21:16
Not just any paint.. ideall you want vinyl dye. I think it's Krylon that has their new stuff called "Fusion". It's designed for plastics. What it and vinyl dye do are soak into the plastic to permanently color it. Standard spray paint only sticks to the surface and can flake off. If you do it, be sure to sand first so the paint catches better on the first pass. Give yourself no less than two passes with a light sanding between passes and a clear coat if you want the glossy look.

seanadams
2006-02-08, 21:18
You might want to look into anodizing....

Also if you're really serious about this, one place I just thought of that could do a "one off" project easily, maybe without even removing the aluminum plate, is the guys who snazz up paintball guns.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-08, 22:02
But the front panel is metal, not plastic...

I'm thinking chemical blackener might work.

--- notanatheist
<notanatheist.22y2fb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:

>
> Not just any paint.. ideall you want vinyl dye. I
> think it's Krylon that
> has their new stuff called "Fusion". It's designed
> for plastics. What it
> and vinyl dye do are soak into the plastic to
> permanently color it.
> Standard spray paint only sticks to the surface and
> can flake off. If
> you do it, be sure to sand first so the paint
> catches better on the
> first pass. Give yourself no less than two passes
> with a light sanding
> between passes and a clear coat if you want the
> glossy look.
>
>
> --
> notanatheist
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> notanatheist's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2642
> View this thread:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20890
>
>

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-08, 22:48
Heck, just get an SB2. It's flat black and has the same functionality. You can find 'em on ebay.

I probably would have ordered 1 SB2 and 1 SB3 if I could have gotten them for $200 each. The 100off2 promotion only applied to the SB3; I also didn't need the wireless capability and the only new SB2s are wireless. eBay was a thought, but then the single SB3 would've cost me $50 more.

It's not a huge deal. I'll try living with it, and if I decide to change it, I'm sure it will cost a lot less than $50.

Philip Meyer
2006-02-09, 13:58
>You might want to look into anodizing....
What's anodizing got to do with Pandora?

Ah! This is another example of posts from the forum not putting in unique message Id's/References. It's really making the mailing list/forum hard to follow.

Any idea when we can expect a fix?

Phil

dwc
2006-02-09, 15:21
Take the panel off and leave it off.
-Dan

fathom39
2006-02-09, 18:15
I probably would have ordered 1 SB2 and 1 SB3 if I could have gotten them for $200 each. The 100off2 promotion only applied to the SB3; I also didn't need the wireless capability and the only new SB2s are wireless. eBay was a thought, but then the single SB3 would've cost me $50 more.

It's not a huge deal. I'll try living with it, and if I decide to change it, I'm sure it will cost a lot less than $50.

To ease your buyer's remorse ... I think Slim only has Platinum SB2s left for sale.