PDA

View Full Version : 802.3af (power over ethernet)?

bonkabonka
2006-02-08, 14:39
I'm contemplating getting a Netgear FS108P switch which has 4 power over ethernet ports. I'm curious, however, as to whether or not I can use the powered ports to drive my Squeezeboxen. I've got an original Squeezebox and a Squeezebox 2 for what it's worth. I seem to recall reading somewhere (perhaps in the original documentation that I can't lay my hands on at the moment) that it was possible but Googling and forum searching didn't reveal anything.

Thanks!

andreas
2006-02-08, 15:55
bonkabonka wrote:
> I'm contemplating getting a Netgear FS108P switch which has 4 power over
> ethernet ports. I'm curious, however, as to whether or not I can use
> the powered ports to drive my Squeezeboxen. I've got an original
> Squeezebox and a Squeezebox 2 for what it's worth. I seem to recall
> reading somewhere (perhaps in the original documentation that I can't
> lay my hands on at the moment) that it was possible but Googling and
> forum searching didn't reveal anything.

None of the Squeezeboxen supports PoE.
Accoding to Netgear website the FS108P supplies PoE according to 802.3af (48VDC) and
has auto-sensing for it, so you'd have to have some 802.3af compliant end-device to
recieve the power and then convert it to something the SB can handle, which is like 5V/2A

rgds
/andreas

kmccourt
2006-02-09, 00:49
PowerDsine do a range of splitters for use with a range of 'legacy' (i.e. non 802.3af) equipment. Some of them do 5V/2.2A.

http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/Splitters/

Not sure about compatibility with that Netgear switch or whether you would need to solder a new plug onto any of them to fit a SB.

bonkabonka
2006-02-09, 15:33
None of the Squeezeboxen supports PoE.

Blast. Ah well, perhaps that feature will make it in with the SB4 or something. :) Thanks!