PDA

View Full Version : FLAC strangeness

oli
2006-02-07, 18:21
In the last couple of days, when opening up the FLAC frontend, a windows installer window pops up telling me it is trying to install Microsoft Office Professional Edition. Only after cancelling this three times does the FLAC frontend open. I have tried running a full suite of anti-spyware and virus programmes, defragmenting, and uninstalling and re-installing FLAC, but all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Skunk
2006-02-08, 05:14
It's never a bad idea to reformat a Windows machine...

Steve Bernard, Jr
2006-02-08, 06:20
On 2/7/06, oli <oli.22w04b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> In the last couple of days, when opening up the FLAC frontend, a windows
> installer window pops up telling me it is trying to install Microsoft
> Office Professional Edition. Only after cancelling this three times
> does the FLAC frontend open. I have tried running a full suite of
> anti-spyware and virus programmes, defragmenting, and uninstalling and
> re-installing FLAC, but all to no avail.

Is Microsoft Office Professional Edition actually installed on your
system? If it is, it sounds like you might want to try repairing that
installation. If it's not, you can try using the Microsoft Windows
Installer CleanUp Utility to clear out the cruft of its installer
that's been left behind. You can get that tool from
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301

-Steve

fairyliquidizer
2006-02-08, 06:31
It's never a bad idea to reformat a Windows machine...

Except when you haven't made a backup :-P Or if someone has suggested that Linux Gaming is where it's at :-D (This is my idea of humour, it usually only makes me laugh)

To return to the OP topic..... I've never heard of this. Try a web based Virus Scan like Trend Housecall. Otherwise how about using dBPoweramp or EAC instead. What are you using the front end for? (I'm working on the assumption that a reinstall is an onerous task for you)

Fairy

nicktf
2006-02-08, 11:01
Sounds like the front end is looking for a file or registry entry. It's not finding one or t'other, so Windows Installer is firing up a known source for the file to restore it/reregister it. Just click the OK - you won't get the full Office install, it'll just restore/fix what it needs.

I've seen the 1st use of the VB runtime files trigger a Frontpage install, and this is similar.

Of course, if you've never had office on your machine, then I'd be a mite concerned.