PDA

View Full Version : Oh Boy

SoundBoy
2006-02-07, 12:45
I am running a 11b/g network with a Mac, a Linksys WRT54G V5, an airport express and a SB3 (6.2.1) under MacOS 10.4.4. The result was unbearable, drop outs all the time. No pleasure at all. No way you can listen to that. I call this real world conditions. And yes I got my act together, my setup is fine, SlimDevice Support checked on that. Sometimes my SB3 frooze, sometimes it changed from one favorite to another without me operating the remote... wow..

So I got tired of complaining and bought a Cat5,hooked up the SB3 to my Linksys and you will not believe it. Streaming music from SqueezeNetwork still sucks!!!!! How can this be??? I have enough bandwith to stream video through my DSL. At the same time the same radio station streamed through Media Player or ITunes sounds perfect. Am I stupid or what?? HELP.. no that the cable not even works I am wondering what's going on here.

Dan Sully
2006-02-07, 12:52
* SoundBoy shaped the electrons to say...

>So I got tired of complaining and bought a Cat5,hooked up the SB3 to my
>Linksys and you will not believe it. Streaming music from SqueezeNetwork
>still sucks!!!!! How can this be??? I have enough bandwith to stream
>video through my DSL. At the same time the same radio station streamed
>through Media Player or ITunes sounds perfect. Am I stupid or what??
>HELP.. no that the cable not even works I am wondering what's going on
>here.

What stations are you listening to?

Please keep in mind that audio is not coming from the SqueezeNetwork servers
themselves. Rather it is being streamed to the SB3 directly from the radio
station source.

-D
--
<dr.pox> wtf? a garbled dingbat makes java switch to DWIM?

bflatmajor
2006-02-07, 15:13
We have a similar issue. I've logged as a bug and I think I have it fixed.

What I've noticed is that if I plug my server into the wireless WRT54G V5 router everything is excellent. If I unplug it and go completely wireless I get the dropouts. I went out and purchased the linksys wmp54gs pci adapter w/speedbooster installed, activated the speedboost feature on the adapter and went totally wireless. I also change the MTU value in the router

Music to my ears!! Not a single dropout.

YMMV

Good luck

radish
2006-02-07, 15:18
We have a similar issue. I've logged as a bug and I think I have it fixed.

What I've noticed is that if I plug my server into the wireless WRT54G V5 router everything is excellent. If I unplug it and go completely wireless I get the dropouts. I went out and purchased the linksys wmp54gs pci adapter w/speedbooster installed, activated the speedboost feature on the adapter and went totally wireless. I also change the MTU value in the router

Music to my ears!! Not a single dropout.

YMMV

Good luck

If you're using a server, you're not using SqueezeNetwork, and thus I fail to see the similarity between your situation and the OP's.

Oh and it's not a bug, it's called "your network isn't fast enough".

funkstar
2006-02-08, 02:38
Just something to add in here if we are talking about internet bandwidth. Remember that if you are on ADSL your connection has a contention ration of 20:1 or 50:1 so just because you connect at 1 or 2mbit doesn't mean you will see it, especially at peak times.

It also depends on the route the stream takes to your ISP, there may be problems there.

SoundBoy
2006-02-08, 10:18
Just something to add in here if we are talking about internet bandwidth. Remember that if you are on ADSL your connection has a contention ration of 20:1 or 50:1 so just because you connect at 1 or 2mbit doesn't mean you will see it, especially at peak times.

It also depends on the route the stream takes to your ISP, there may be problems there.

Hi everybody - glad to see that some good comments came in. I do realize that I have this issues mostly during peak times - so it is for sure a streaming bandwith problem. But then it hit all 128K radio streams. Odd is, but maybe someone helps me here. Only SB3 direct connect (SqueezNetwork) has this problem. My IMac with the music player installed, hanging on the same router/ISP has no problems to stream the very same stations at the very same time. Is there a difference in buffer handling?

Too bad, but like this the direct stream is not very useful not even when hooked up with a Cat5 to a DSL line... :(

Other question. I see that when upgradig my software on the SB3 (V 28 to V29 and back because it did not work) I saw that my SB3 PIN CHANGED? Is that normal?

Once again - all help most appreciated

Markus