PDA

View Full Version : New user - no wireless connection

Ric
2006-02-07, 01:48
Hi
I've just received a squeezebox 3 which I bought after seeing rave reviews of how easy it was to set up. Well it's not.

I'm trying to connect wirelessly.
I choose 'set up wireless network'.
Choose 'Europe' (I'm in Portugal).
Choose my wireless network which it finds fine - G604T_WIRELESS from a D-link G604T wirless adsl router.
I then choose No password/no encryption - as I have no security enabled.
I then get the count down from 20 and it states: 'Problem, can't connect.....

On advice of Slimdevices support I have upgraded firmware to the last 'nightly' via ethernet on my Macmini.

F.W.I.W I have successful wireless connections on my Macmini, laptop Windows pc, xbox360 adapter, Sony psp, even an Apple Airport Express. All of which set up relatively painlessly and are currently running together with no problems.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
Ric

Ric
2006-02-07, 02:10
I might add the the above to say that I also fired up an old Alcatel Speedtouch router to test. Once again the Squeezebox found the speedtouch network (100% signal) but wouldn't connect to it.

Ric

Kyle
2006-02-07, 02:49
The first thing I would check is whether you have any firewalls installed.

jasenj1
2006-02-07, 05:28
The first thing I would check is whether you have any firewalls installed.

Agreed. You may have no security on the router, but your computer may have a firewall turned on. You need to open ports 9000 and 3483.

- Jasen.

ceejay
2006-02-07, 09:35
Doesn't sound like its even getting far as a firewall. I'd check to see if you have MAC address filtering turned on at the router? If you have, and you have entered the address of your SB3 (as printed on the label) you should also check the MAC address that the SB3 thinks it has (there have been a few cases where the MAC address got changed...).

Also, check to see if you can connect "wired" (that would eliminate any firewall issues)

Ceejay.

Ric
2006-02-07, 09:48
Thanks for that ceejay - I'm about to try it.
Incidentally I'm using Tiger on a Macmini and don't have the firewall enabled.

Ric

Ric
2006-02-07, 10:45
Ceejay
Mac filtering is off on the router.
I can connect via wired ethernet.

any other ideas appreciated

Ric

ceejay
2006-02-07, 11:02
Ceejay
Mac filtering is off on the router.
I can connect via wired ethernet.

any other ideas appreciated

Ric

Hmm, tricky. You seem to have eliminated the usual issues - MAC filtering, security. I don't see this model listed in the wiki http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus, though there are several other DLink devices there: some problems with different security modes but appears to work.

The only thing I can think of is to check to see if you have any modes in the router turned on: e.g. Turbo/high speed modes, uPNP, and see if turning them off makes a difference.

Otherwise you may be best going back to a dialogue with support: at least one user here recently had a faulty wireless card, you may be another unlucky one.

BTW - when you connected wired, did you get all the way to a working system with slimserver?

HTH

Ceejay

Ric
2006-02-07, 11:48
Hi again ceejay
Yes, right through to slimserver both connecting wired ether directly to my Macmini and connecting to the router.
Unfortunately I didn't hand out 235 GBP to get a good looking hardware itunes, I want the wireless capability.

Ric

JJZolx
2006-02-07, 12:28
Hi again ceejay
Yes, right through to slimserver both connecting wired ether directly to my Macmini and connecting to the router.
Unfortunately I didn't hand out 235 GBP to get a good looking hardware itunes, I want the wireless capability.

Ric
In your D-Link wireless router can you see the connection from the Squeezebox? On my D-Link DWL-2100AP there's a page under Status/Clients that displays all connected clients by their MAC addresses. You should see your other devices and (hopefully) the Squeezebox if it has successfully connected to the wireless network.

Are you using a static IP address for the SB3 or assigning it via DHCP?

Ric
2006-02-07, 13:36
Hi Jim

My router info shows two associated stations by there mac addresses. It doesn't give details but I'm guessing one is my apple express adapter and the other a dlink wireless usb adapter. Either way they arn't the SB3's address which i have confirmed on the actual SB3.
As a test I booted my Sony psp's wireless internet connection. When refreshing the router page this then comes up with it's mac address.

I'm auto assigning ip address.

Ric

JJZolx
2006-02-07, 14:01
You say the Squeezebox finds your network. Does it show your network SSID when you're in the wireless setup?

Strike2
2006-02-07, 14:55
I'm on a different platform, but here's something to check: Make sure your server (the software on your computer) starts. Mine was "starting" but never got there. It just hung, but you'd never know it if you didn't look. I re-installed the server software and then my unit was able to connect. I'd go and download a fresh installer from the site.

BeerCan
2006-02-07, 21:36
to further what JJZolx said. I would make sure that ssid broadcast is set to on in the wireless router/ap point. I have an access point that refuses connections if it is off (been trying to figure that one out for a year)

SoundBoy
2006-02-08, 10:27
Hi Jim

My router info shows two associated stations by there mac addresses. It doesn't give details but I'm guessing one is my apple express adapter and the other a dlink wireless usb adapter. Either way they arn't the SB3's address which i have confirmed on the actual SB3.
As a test I booted my Sony psp's wireless internet connection. When refreshing the router page this then comes up with it's mac address.

I'm auto assigning ip address.

Ric

Ric - I have a very similar config at home. MacOS 10.4.4, SB3, Airport Express, WAP protection. It works. A few points. The Airport express must be in client mode (I assigned a static address). SB3 and my two macs get their address assigned by the router LinkSysWRT54G. When youn connect, what do you see? First it should see the Network/Router, then it should get an network ID... then you should be able to see the SlimServers and SqueezeNetwork. Where do you stop?

Markus

stedes
2006-02-08, 18:19
Hey Ric,

I see that you are experiencing the most common problem in this forum. I had similar trouble with a Belkin router so I bought another one (Draytek) but I still couldn't make the SB3 connect.

It's similar problem to mine. Sees the network but cannot connect to it even though no encryption/no MAC or client filtering etc etc.

It has nothing to do with "firewall" or "software starting"... the problem is that the SB3 will not connect to your router...firewall issues tend to appear when the SB3 cannot connect to the Slimserver itself.

Hope you solve your problem. Although support guys are trying their best (hi Kevin) I have given up and using ethernet...
I do agree with what you're saying however....

Charles
2006-02-09, 00:24
I had exactly the same problem. I re-installed my wireless network on the computer and those connection problems disappeared. Other problems occured later and a new firmware (29) may have solved the last of those. Have faith, it will eventually work and support is good.

Geoggy
2006-02-12, 09:46
I have the same router as you.

This just isnt good enough is it?

I have now had my squeezebox for about 3 months and at least once a month it refuses to connect to the network - despite displaying the SSID quite clearly.

It usually takes a thread on here (heres my last one : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19015&highlight=g604t )and then several hours of messing about, turning WEP off, then on, trying WPA, off, then on. Factory reset after factory rest.

I think this is very poor for a product over 200 quid, that as you say, we want the wireless functionality from.

All my other wireless gear in the house connects 1st time every time all the time.

So why am I running out of patience with a wireless music player that I have had for less than 3 months?

Well its simple - why should i spend 2 to 3 hours a month messing with my set up just because the firmware on the box DOES NOT WORK?

When are slim devices going to admit this and release some software that does make the player useable - because at the moment, i am seriously thinking of a refund.

Geoggy
2006-02-12, 11:22
just got it going again.

how?

factory reset the router, enabled WPA and the squezzebox connected immediately.

i worked out what I had done in the router settings to stop making the squeezebox work.

i had the audacity to open some ports for my Xbox 360! How dare I!! So in simple terms no Xbox Live and Squeezebox for me!

Garbage. Absolute garbage.

Robin Bowes
2006-02-12, 13:10
Geoggy said the following on 02/12/2006 06:22 PM:
> just got it going again.
>
> how?
>
> factory reset the router, enabled WPA and the squezzebox connected
> immediately.
>
> i worked out what I had done in the router settings to stop making the
> squeezebox work.
>
> i had the audacity to open some ports for my Xbox 360! How dare I!! So
> in simple terms no Xbox Live and Squeezebox for me!

What ports did you open?

>
> Garbage. Absolute garbage.

Yeah, I don't like the XBox either.

R.

Geoggy
2006-02-13, 06:26
Geoggy said the following on 02/12/2006 06:22 PM:
> just got it going again.
>
> how?
>
> factory reset the router, enabled WPA and the squezzebox connected
> immediately.
>
> i worked out what I had done in the router settings to stop making the
> squeezebox work.
>
> i had the audacity to open some ports for my Xbox 360! How dare I!! So
> in simple terms no Xbox Live and Squeezebox for me!

What ports did you open?

>
> Garbage. Absolute garbage.

Yeah, I don't like the XBox either.

R.

Im glad you find it funny. I dont.

What difference does it make about what ports I opened? Why should that matter ?

Millwood
2006-02-13, 06:42
When a message comes in from the internet that is NOT a response to an outgoing message, it is addressed to your router. Your router needs to know what to do with it. By default, it throws it away - hardware firewall function.

You can, for each port number, tell the router to send it to a specific machine. This works if the port is "well known" and the machine is the server for that port.

I think the questioner wants to figure out if SLIM and XBox are using the same port numbers for their server functions. Or alternately if you used more ports than needed to make the XBox work and killed the Slim port.

Or maybe something else - others please pipe in.

But if you want to get your XBox and Slim working together - then cooperating with people who try to help is probably a good strategy.

Robin Bowes
2006-02-13, 06:47
Geoggy said the following on 02/13/2006 01:26 PM:
>
> What difference does it make about what ports I opened? Why should that
> matter ?

How about if they're the same ports that the Squeezebox uses?

Which ports did you open? Is upnp enabled or disabled?

R.

Geoggy
2006-02-13, 08:48
But if you want to get your XBox and Slim working together - then cooperating with people who try to help is probably a good strategy.

Touche!

OK my ports that were open for the 360 were:

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

I also have these open for another application

UDP 59998-59999
TCP 59998-59999.

UPNP is disabled.

Thanks

Robin Bowes
2006-02-13, 09:25
Geoggy said the following on 02/13/2006 03:48 PM:
> Millwood Wrote:
>
>>
>>But if you want to get your XBox and Slim working together - then
>>cooperating with people who try to help is probably a good strategy.
>
>
> Touche!
>
> OK my ports that were open for the 360 were:
>
> UDP 88
> UDP 3074
> TCP 3074
>
> I also have these open for another application
>
>
> UDP 59998-59999
> TCP 59998-59999.
>
> UPNP is disabled.

Can I confirm that your network looks like this:

Internet ---- router --+--- Squeezebox
|
+--- Slimserver
|
+--- XBox

Also, can you be more specific about what you mean by "stop making the
squeezebox work."?

R.

Geoggy
2006-02-13, 15:27
My network is:

Internet---Router

Router----PC
Router-----Squeezebox
Router-----Xbox 360

What i mean by stopping the squeezebox working, is that if I change a setting on the router, like forwarding ports for example, then the squeezebox loses its connection to the wireless network.

It can see the SSID, then i get the dreaded 20 second countdown whilst it says "Connecting" and then it does not connect.