PDA

View Full Version : Rescan Time

moz414
2006-02-06, 10:07
Hi,

I've got about 14,000 files in my folder and started a rescan off at 0700 hrs this morning before I went to work. I just got home at 1700 hrs and it still says it is scanning my music server. I don't seem to remember it taking this long last time. Could there be a problem? Is there any way to check that it is actually scanning the folder? I am using version 6.2.1.

Thanks.

Ian

jonheal
2006-02-06, 10:27
Hi,

I've got about 14,000 files in my folder and started a rescan off at 0700 hrs this morning before I went to work. I just got home at 1700 hrs and it still says it is scanning my music server. I don't seem to remember it taking this long last time. Could there be a problem? Is there any way to check that it is actually scanning the folder? I am using version 6.2.1.

Thanks.

Ian
Sounds a little excessive. My 1.2GHz PC clears and rescans my 5000 track library in about 15 minutes. This is over the network, as I don't keep my music on the machine running SlimServer. Were it me, and I couldn't find something else amiss, I would probably reinstall -- after first saving my preferences file. You might want to bump up to the 6.2.2 nightly.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-06, 11:15
You can find out if it's still rescanning by
checking CPU load. On mine, a normal rescan takes
50-60% CPU. A "clear library and rescan" takes
30-40% CPU with intense disk access, then another
phase where it takes 50-60% CPU without much disk
access.

moz414 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got about 14,000 files in my folder and started
a rescan off at
> 0700 hrs this morning before I went to work. I just
got home at 1700
> hrs and it still says it is scanning my music
server. I don't seem to
> remember it taking this long last time. Could there
be a problem? Is
> there any way to check that it is actually scanning
the folder? I am
> using version 6.2.1.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ian
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

moz414
2006-02-06, 12:05
Sounds a little excessive. My 1.2GHz PC clears and rescans my 5000 track library in about 15 minutes. This is over the network, as I don't keep my music on the machine running SlimServer. Were it me, and I couldn't find something else amiss, I would probably reinstall -- after first saving my preferences file. You might want to bump up to the 6.2.2 nightly.

Is there a version 6.2.2 out? I can only find 6.2.1

kdf
2006-02-06, 12:18
Quoting moz414 <moz414.22tneb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Is there a version 6.2.2 out? I can only find 6.2.1

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2.2/

jonheal
2006-02-06, 12:24
Is there a version 6.2.2 out? I can only find 6.2.1
6.2.2 contains accumulated fixes (but may introduce other problems). It is released nightly here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

I'm using one from a few weeks ago without problems.

If you happen to store your music on an external drive, you can get an idea if it's being rescanned by watching the activity light, it should be going crazy.

I guess before I reinstalled, I would first try stopping and restarting SlimServer (or maybe rebooting the machine), and then try rescanning again.

Perhaps it's also come up against a corrupt file which it cannot open to read its tags. Although you would think the Slim programmers would have included some timeouts for handling that eventuality.

jasenj1
2006-02-06, 13:09
Does the 6.2.x software ever update the web page after you start a scan? My understanding is that you push the "rescan" button and the web page updates to tell you it STARTED the scan, but there's nothing to tell you that it FINISHED. The only way to tell is to watch the disk activity, etc. as has been pointed out.

Maybe the fancy code in the new 6.5 will be able to show when the scan is done.

- Jasen.

jonheal
2006-02-06, 13:14
Does the 6.2.x software ever update the web page after you start a scan? My understanding is that you push the "rescan" button and the web page updates to tell you it STARTED the scan, but there's nothing to tell you that it FINISHED. The only way to tell is to watch the disk activity, etc. as has been pointed out.

Maybe the fancy code in the new 6.5 will be able to show when the scan is done.

- Jasen.
Just refresh the page manually every now and then. Also, while scanning, the Squeezebox will be veeerrrryyy unresponsive. It'll be snappy again when the scan is complete.

kdf
2006-02-06, 13:36
Quoting jasenj1 <jasenj1.22tq6b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Does the 6.2.x software ever update the web page after you start a scan?
> My understanding is that you push the "rescan" button and the web page
> updates to tell you it STARTED the scan, but there's nothing to tell
> you that it FINISHED. The only way to tell is to watch the disk
> activity, etc. as has been pointed out.
>
> Maybe the fancy code in the new 6.5 will be able to show when the scan
> is done.

the default skin refreshes every 5 minutes or so if left alone during rescan.
that's all there is.
-k