PDA

View Full Version : 6.2.1->6.2.2 now gets "Can't open file for:"

John Stimson
2006-02-04, 11:55
I just downloaded SlimServer 6.2.2 from the public download page at slimdevices.com. I'm upgrading from a working version of 6.2.1.

I copied both *.conf files from the 6.2.1 directory to the 6.2.2 directory and ran 6.2.2. I was asked to run the build-perl-modules script. Then 6.2.2 started up with no complaints.

But when it came up, and I tried to play a song, the SB2 displayedthe message

PROBLEM: Can't open file for
(song title)

I rescanned the music library with the "clear all" option. I got the same message for any song I tried to play.

I switched back to 6.2.1, and incidentally was asked to run the build-perl-modules script again (even though 6.2.1 had already been up and running!). Songs played just fine.

I'm running Slackware Linux 8.1 with a 2.4 kernel and perl 5.8.7.

One thing that I have noticed is that when I try to install DBD::SQLite using CPAN, it will compile but fails one test. CPAN won't install it.

notanatheist
2006-02-05, 00:06
Use either Swaret or Slapt-get to get your Slack box up to date. Mine has been brought up from around 9 to 10.2 that way. After which, rebuild the modules, and go. I've never done a rescan or copied config files since it should be looking in ~/.slimserver.conf for settings.

John Stimson
2006-02-06, 09:12
It was an issue with the conf files. I copy them forward to preserve AAC support so I don't have to hand edit the new conf files. It's worked up to this point.

Can slimserver.conf include changes to the types established in types.conf or the recipes given in convert.conf? That would be an easier way to keep my changes.

kdf
2006-02-06, 09:59
John Stimson wrote:
> It was an issue with the conf files. I copy them forward to preserve
> AAC support so I don't have to hand edit the new conf files. It's
> worked up to this point.
>
> Can slimserver.conf include changes to the types established in
> types.conf or the recipes given in convert.conf? That would be an
> easier way to keep my changes.
>
>
use custom-types.conf and custom-convert.conf
-k

John Stimson
2006-02-06, 12:10
Is the use of those files documented somewhere? I have looked for documentation for the slimserver software. The slimdevices web site refers me to the "help" section of the slimserver web interface. I can't find anything in there. The only other documentation I can find is the Installation.txt file, which doesn't mention any config files other than slimserver.conf.

I tried creating those files and placing them in /usr/local/slimserver where I have slimserver installed, but they do not supercede the convert.conf and types.conf entries. When I bring up Server Settings->File Types, it still lists mov123 as the decoder for Apple AAC.

Have I placed those files in the wrong directory? Should they live in ~slim instead? (nope - I tried relocating them to ~slim and that had no effect.)

Do they perhaps not override existing types or recipes for the same type?

kdf
2006-02-06, 12:59
Quoting John Stimson <John.Stimson.22to3b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Is the use of those files documented somewhere? I have looked for
> documentation for the slimserver software. The slimdevices web site
> refers me to the "help" section of the slimserver web interface. I
> can't find anything in there. The only other documentation I can find
> is the Installation.txt file, which doesn't mention any config files
> other than slimserver.conf.
>
> I tried creating those files and placing them in /usr/local/slimserver
> where I have slimserver installed, but they do not supercede the
> convert.conf and types.conf entries. When I bring up Server
> Settings->File Types, it still lists mov123 as the decoder for Apple
> AAC.
>
> Have I placed those files in the wrong directory? Should they live in
> ~slim instead?

I'll have to look into why they don't override, but you can make this
work right away by specifying the player type in your custom lines.
Instead of using

mov flc * *

use:
mov flc squeezebox2 *

not that from the server perspective, squeezebox2 is the same as squeezebox 3.

other valid player types:
slimp3
softsqueeze
squeezebox

Then you should have all of the options listed in file types, and the
ones from the default convert, for which your setup does not have
binaries, will be automatically disabled.
-k

John Stimson
2006-02-07, 14:20
I think I figured it out. The custom conversions file is called slimserver-convert.conf according to the slimserver Wiki. That's what AlienBBC uses. I guess I will still have to pay attention to changes to slimserver-convert.conf and custom-types.conf when I upgrade AlienBBC.