PDA

View Full Version : Unresponsive Squeezebox on Squeezenetwork

wickedbob
2006-02-03, 13:09
Hi

Newb here trying to use my squeezebox on the squeezenetwork.
Each time i try using the squeezenetwork there is a significant delay (read 10-20 seconds) between each button press and my squeezebox display updating.
Usually when connected to slimserver when you press a remote button the squeezebox responds instantly, unfortunately trying to use squeezenetwork is like water torture.
Even the initial squeezenetwork setup menus were incredibly slow.
Also the display brightness flicks high and low repeatedly while waiting for my squeezebox to 'hear' my remote's commands.

Is this how the squeezenetwork works? slowly?
Is there something else I can do or something I have missed to make this work properly?

Thanks in advance.

Cleve
2006-02-03, 15:51
Squeezenetwork DOES get laggy from time to time. Sometimes, it's almost unusable - I've had response delays of a minute or more before the remote responds to inputs. When it's that bad, I usually switch back to Slimserver. Early morning and late night usually has good response times. But the peak hours of 5pm to 9pm are the worst, IMO.

Also, I didn't realize until I posted a similar thread to this - almost ALL the controls on your SB3 remote are not hard-wired - they're software-generated on either your computer's Slimserver software or Squeezenetwork. Even the volume control!

That makes the lag worse, IMO, because Squeezenetwork gets deluged with remote control requests. I'd have to think the lag could get worse as more and more SB3s are sold. The solution, obviously, would be for slimdevices to build more 'hardwired' functions into the Squeezebox.

Your own ISP could be contributing to the problem too - many cable broadband networks get very laggy in the evenings - I've experienced that firsthand with online games - I'll get good pings during off-peak hours - but horrendous pings and tons of packet loss in the evenings.

wickedbob
2006-02-03, 16:00
Yikes! That something which isn't published on the slimdevices homepage before I bought it. The lag is just crazy - i haven't been able to play anything using Squeezenetworks yet and the functionality it provides was one of the main reasons I bought the product.
I also find it odd that the lag through text-based menus would be present - all my other internet access is fast and seamless through my 1MB ADSL connection. We are only talking about a tiny amount of text here - which makes me think it is a problem with the squeezebox itself.
Although I can't reproduce the same problem when using slimserver on my pc.
Anyone else unable to use Squeezenetworks at all?
I can connect fine but waiting for 4-5 minutes for menu options to respond to your remote means that you can never actually access any content - my squeezebox keeps returning me back to the top level menu all by itself.

htrd
2006-02-03, 17:40
On Friday 03 Feb 2006 22:51, Cleve wrote:
> Squeezenetwork DOES get laggy from time to time. Sometimes, it's
> almost unusable - I've had response delays of a minute or more before
> the remote responds to inputs. When it's that bad, I usually switch
> back to Slimserver.

That's the opposite of my experience. It takes up to maybe ten seconds to
first connect to squeezenetwork, but then I can rarely feel a significant
delay in responding to menu navigation from the remote. Certainly much better
than one second.

> Early morning and late night usually has good
> response times. But the peak hours of 5pm to 9pm are the worst, IMO.

Which time zone? I'm in the UK, GMT+0. There is a little more lag in early
evening which corresponds to my local ISP busy period, but Ive not noticed
any other variation during the day.

--
Toby Dickenson

seanadams
2006-02-03, 18:23
Hey everyone,

Yes, load issues are creeping up again. We are moving to a new data center next week, and we have an enormous amount of server hardware on order for Squeezenetwork.

Of course as part of the scaling plan we will be identifying software optimizations - things like reducing connection overhead and moving some functions into firmware. The first order of business was to get basic Squeezenetwork services up and running. Now we're in the second phase which is to address scalability and add some killer new features.

It's going to be a LOT more than just RadioIO and an alarm clock, and we're going to make it wicked fast too. :)

Sean

seanadams
2006-02-03, 18:26
Also wickedbob, can you try again now and see if it's a bit faster? We did a small upgrade this morning but we're waiting for more machines before it can get a lot faster.

wickedbob
2006-02-03, 19:33
Ummm... no difference from my end. Still the same delay to get to menu items and I can never get to play anything. My squeezebox just keeps reverting back to the Now Playing option (which gleefully tells me that it is now playing Nothing).
I'm not convinced this is a bandwidth issue as I can stream internet radio using my slimserver fine. Obviously streaming internet radio without my pc on is what i want to do.
This thing cost me NZ$600 all up and I'm starting to question my investment.
I'm hoping someone at tech support can help. :(

SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Squeezebox Player Version: 28

vdorta
2006-02-03, 19:56
That's the opposite of my experience. It takes up to maybe ten seconds to
first connect to squeezenetwork, but then I can rarely feel a significant
delay in responding to menu navigation from the remote. Certainly much better
than one second.
Same here. At first my SB2 says it can't connect to Squeezenetwork but after about 15 seconds it does and then everything is pretty fast.

seanadams
2006-02-03, 20:21
Ummm... no difference from my end. Still the same delay to get to menu items and I can never get to play anything. My squeezebox just keeps reverting back to the Now Playing option (which gleefully tells me that it is now playing Nothing).
I'm not convinced this is a bandwidth issue as I can stream internet radio using my slimserver fine. Obviously streaming internet radio without my pc on is what i want to do.
This thing cost me NZ$600 all up and I'm starting to question my investment.
I'm hoping someone at tech support can help. :(

SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Squeezebox Player Version: 28

OK please email support@slimdevices.com and let them know what's going on - we'll see if there's something wrong with your account setup. Otherwise it's probably related to the load issues, in which case please bear with us for a few days while we add capacity.

wickedbob
2006-02-03, 21:29
Already done. Just waiting for a reply.

Anybody know how to enter Squeezenetwork setup on my squeezebox again?