PDA

View Full Version : no space left on device



Millwood
2006-02-03, 11:32
I'm seeing this message in the log. My disk is NOT nearly full.

However, I'm running the server on an old small machine - 64meg memory, 266mh processor. (ain't linux grand?)

top shows very little remaining memory. is slimserver trying to pin memory and running out?

what should I do short of a new machine?

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-03, 11:51
Whoa - 64 MB of memory is not nearly enough. The
Slim service takes 60-80 MB all on its own (at
least on my Windows machine).

256 MB is the minimum you should have with
SlimServer and an OS.

Millwood wrote:
> I'm seeing this message in the log. My disk is NOT
nearly full.
>
> However, I'm running the server on an old small
machine - 64meg memory,
> 266mh processor. (ain't linux grand?)
>
> top shows very little remaining memory. is
slimserver trying to pin
> memory and running out?
>
> what should I do short of a new machine?
>
>

--
___________________________________


Mark Lanctot
___________________________________

MrC
2006-02-03, 12:31
I'm seeing this message in the log. My disk is NOT nearly full.

However, I'm running the server on an old small machine - 64meg memory, 266mh processor. (ain't linux grand?)

top shows very little remaining memory. is slimserver trying to pin memory and running out?

what should I do short of a new machine?

As Mark indicated, 64meg is a little low. Notwithstanding, you are likely running out of swap space. Add more swap space, but better yet, add more RAM.

notanatheist
2006-02-03, 21:19
I've noticed the errors too. Actually had to reboot my fileserver the other night!! There's a memory leak in something. I've got 512MB, Slackware-current, 1.8Ghz Athlon XP, Slimserver 6.2.1. Today I saw the error on the monitor attached to my server and noticed my Squeezeboxes were both stuck at 9:08AM. When I powered them up they resynced with the server and got the current time. Strange it is. Any ideas appreciated. Does Slim keep logs?

Dan Sully
2006-02-03, 21:25
* notanatheist shaped the electrons to say...

>I've noticed the errors too. Actually had to reboot my fileserver the
>other night!! There's a memory leak in something. I've got 512MB,
>Slackware-current, 1.8Ghz Athlon XP, Slimserver 6.2.1. Today I saw the
>error on the monitor attached to my server and noticed my Squeezeboxes
>were both stuck at 9:08AM. When I powered them up they resynced with
>the server and got the current time. Strange it is. Any ideas
>appreciated. Does Slim keep logs?

Please use the 6.2.2 nightlies - there's a memory leak in 6.2.1 that's been fixed there.

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

Thanks.

-D
--
<iNoah> I think someone should create a magazine for computer peripherals, called Card & Driver

notanatheist
2006-02-04, 01:08
Thanks Dan.

Is a rebuild or newer version of Perl needed? I went to use a 6.2 nightly and got a bunch of errors. I'll look into again tomorrow.

Dan Sully
2006-02-04, 09:52
* notanatheist shaped the electrons to say...

>Is a rebuild or newer version of Perl needed? I went to use a 6.2
>nightly and got a bunch of errors. I'll look into again tomorrow.

Yes - you will need a perl 5.8 release. What version of *nix are you running on?

Michael Herger has put together a Perl 5.8.6 for older systems:

http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=612&kategorie=slim

-D
--
They're techno trousers, ex-NASA, fantastic for walkies!

notanatheist
2006-02-04, 15:40
had to rebuild the modules. (./Bin/build-perl-modules.pl for the Search results) Perl was already at 5.8.6. OS is upgrading itself to Slackware 10.2.

Thanks again.