PDA

View Full Version : Let slimserver organize music?



PAUL WILLIAMSON
2006-02-03, 08:02
I had a "catastrophic" drive failure a couple nights ago. Through some
creative means, I've managed to recover most of my music from backup and
good luck. My problem is that while most of the tags are good, either
the filenames themselves or the location is messed up. Is there a
possibility that slimserver could have a feature that could reorganize
my music for me? It would take me an extremely long time to put things
in the locations I want them. I think iTunes has some feature about
letting it manage the folder/library format, but all my music is flac.
Or, should I start writing some code to do this?

Paul

hdarwen
2006-02-03, 08:22
you can probably do it with your tagger. if you're on windows, this one
supports FLAC and will batch rename files according to the tags easily
enough: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

----- Original Message -----
From: "PAUL WILLIAMSON" <pwilliamson (AT) mandtbank (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 3:02 PM
Subject: [slim] Let slimserver organize music?


>I had a "catastrophic" drive failure a couple nights ago. Through some
> creative means, I've managed to recover most of my music from backup and
> good luck. My problem is that while most of the tags are good, either
> the filenames themselves or the location is messed up. Is there a
> possibility that slimserver could have a feature that could reorganize
> my music for me? It would take me an extremely long time to put things
> in the locations I want them. I think iTunes has some feature about
> letting it manage the folder/library format, but all my music is flac.
> Or, should I start writing some code to do this?
>
> Paul
>
>

PAUL WILLIAMSON
2006-02-03, 08:24
>>I had a "catastrophic" drive failure a couple nights ago. Through
some
>> creative means, I've managed to recover most of my music from backup
and
>> good luck. My problem is that while most of the tags are good,
either
>> the filenames themselves or the location is messed up. Is there a
>> possibility that slimserver could have a feature that could
reorganize
>> my music for me? It would take me an extremely long time to put
things
>> in the locations I want them. I think iTunes has some feature
about
>> letting it manage the folder/library format, but all my music is
flac.
>> Or, should I start writing some code to do this?
>>
>> Paul
>
>
>>>> hdarwen (AT) btinternet (DOT) com 02/03/06 10:22 AM >>>
>you can probably do it with your tagger. if you're on windows, this
one
>supports FLAC and will batch rename files according to the tags easily

>enough: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Yeah, not on Windows. I use easytag on linux. I'll check out easytag
to
see if it does what I need. Good suggestion.

Paul

dborn
2006-02-03, 08:34
Depending how you had your music organised, try using Mp3tag (handles flac as well IIRC). It can do most of what you want in a few mouse clicks.

Good luck,
Daniel

snarlydwarf
2006-02-03, 10:58
Yeah, not on Windows. I use easytag on linux. I'll check out easytag to see if it does what I need. Good suggestion.


For Linux command line, use 'eyeD3' -- it reads/writes most of the id3 tags and can rename files as well.

--rename=NAME Rename file (the extension is not affected) based on data in the tag using substitution variables: %A (artist), %a (album), %t (title), %n (track number), and %N (total number of tracks)

There's also mp3rename, but as I recall, it doesn't do id3v2.

If you want a gui, kid3 can rename based on tags, too.

PAUL WILLIAMSON
2006-02-03, 12:41
>>> snarlydwarf.22o0mb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com 02/03/06 12:58 PM
>>>
>
> > PAUL WILLIAMSON Wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, not on Windows. I use easytag on linux. I'll check out
easytag
> > to see if it does what I need. Good suggestion.
> >
>
> For Linux command line, use 'eyeD3' -- it reads/writes most of the id3
> tags and can rename files as well.
>
> --rename=NAME Rename file (the extension is not affected)
> based on data in the tag using substitution variables: %A (artist), %a
> (album), %t (title), %n (track number), and %N (total number of
> tracks)
>
> There's also mp3rename, but as I recall, it doesn't do id3v2.
>
> If you want a gui, kid3 can rename based on tags, too.
>

I don't want just the filename to be changed. I want the entire
location of the file to change. I have about 5,000 songs
at the root of a usb drive, and another 2,000 in the
"lost+found" directory on the music drive. I need something
to read the ID3 tags and move them from wherever they are
to something like /mnt/music/%artist/%album/%artist - %track.*.
In the case of compilations (like soundtracks, etc.) I have
them tagged specifically enough that I can allow for that
in something programmatically.

I'm faced right now with two options:

1. Writing a script to read the tags and move the files
based on the criteria above or

2. Moving all the files manually.

I'd rather jump off a bridge rather than doing this
manually.

Paul

Mr_Smiley
2006-02-03, 20:45
This maybe a little off topic, but you might find this helpful. There's a new service at mp3tunes.com. It's a n online music backup/syncing service. A nominal yearly fee (I think it was $30) and you get unlimited storage with some automatic syncing features. It also has a nifty web playback interface for those times your squeezeboxless or don't have your slim server broadcasting over the net. It doesn't support FLAC and there are still some issues with large libraries (I have one of the largest on the system, but they keep telling me the're working on improvements). Food for thought.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-03, 20:54
I don't want just the filename to be changed. I want the entire
location of the file to change. I have about 5,000 songs
at the root of a usb drive, and another 2,000 in the
"lost+found" directory on the music drive. I need something
to read the ID3 tags and move them from wherever they are
to something like /mnt/music/%artist/%album/%artist - %track.*.
In the case of compilations (like soundtracks, etc.) I have
them tagged specifically enough that I can allow for that
in something programmatically.


Remember, on Unix filesystems, there is no 'rename' commmand... only 'mv'... renaming and moving are the same thing.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-03, 21:05
How's this:
cp -a baddrive /mnt/music/need-to-sort
(ie, make a backup first thing, then go hide that dying drive ... work on the backup dataset instead of the stuff you just got back.. heck make a backup of it now on DVDRW's or something just to be extra paranoid)
cd /mnt/music/need-to-sort
eyeD3 --rename='/mnt/music/%A/%a/%n - %t' *

/mnt/music/need-to-sort will be empty when you're done, and things will be filed according to tags.

snarlydwarf
2006-02-03, 21:11
bah eyeD3 is too dumb to create directories as needed.

I'll try with kid3 in a bit, but no X on this box. :/