PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 Arrived Today

fairyliquidizer
2006-02-02, 10:55
Hi!

Well my SB3 arrived today and was set up in about 2 mins, would have been ten seconds if I broadcast the SSID and didn't have a 128bit WEP key to enter for my wireless network :)

Conclusion... It Just Works! Very nice. All the official stuff works for me. I'm going to re-encode my CD collection in FLAC and stop using iTunes as the database once I've done this.

AlienBBC (3rd Party Plugin) doesn't work for me but I can live with that as everything else is so smooth. Even smoother than my old DIY solution involving a VIA EPIA mobo, Infra red, LCD, wireless card and a couple of bits of software.

The display is fantastic! The large font option is great for my less than perfect eyesight. It's very responsive too and I have no problems with the wireless!

So anyone reading this and considering buying. Just do it!

Fairy

nelamvr6
2006-02-02, 12:13
Congrats! Have fun!

What are you planning to use to encode to flac?

fairyliquidizer
2006-02-02, 13:21
I am mainly using Exact Audio Copy but I also have dBPoweramp (in case I get bored of slow ripping and also for one CD I have that EAC struggles with).

My next challenge will be album art although this isn't exactly essential!

I'm using Foobar2000 to add ReplayGain values to each album as I do it, although I might be quicker just adding my whole music folder when finished and using the "Scan Selection as Multiple Albums" option.

LeeBorkman
2006-02-02, 15:44
hi Liquidizer,

You can always speed EAC up to dbpoweramp speeds by going to "Drive" options, and selecting Burst mode. In Burst mode, EAC rips in the same rapid, unreliable fashion as any well-known ripper.

My advice... don't do it. The whole point of EAC is that it will do its best to get things right, and it *tells* you when it can't get a good rip. Other apps just plough on through, and you won't know you have a crap file until you are trying to impress your dinner guests with your schmick music set-up.

LeeBB

fairyliquidizer
2006-02-02, 15:56
hi Liquidizer,

You can always speed EAC up to dbpoweramp speeds by going to "Drive" options, and selecting Burst mode. In Burst mode, EAC rips in the same rapid, unreliable fashion as any well-known ripper.

My advice... don't do it. The whole point of EAC is that it will do its best to get things right, and it *tells* you when it can't get a good rip. Other apps just plough on through, and you won't know you have a crap file until you are trying to impress your dinner guests with your schmick music set-up.

LeeBB

I've just had EAC spend an hour ripping the last track of a Laibach CD and failing an AccurateRip check on the track. So I tried again with dBPoweramp and it ripped it in seconds and it passed the Accuraterip check with flying colours. I didn't try burst mode on EAC but why bother with dBPoweramp will at least cache everything in memory to speed up ripping. Both programs seam to have there place.

Fairy

EnochLight
2006-02-04, 23:22
I've just had EAC spend an hour ripping the last track of a Laibach CD and failing an AccurateRip check on the track.
Fairy

HAAAA!!! How ironic - I let EAC attempt to rip Laibach's "Trans Mit Laibach" single and it wouldn't even register. I had to open it on my wife's 5 year old laptop and rip it with iTunes - I think Mute might have slipped some sneaky DRM software onto my computer! *grrrrrr*

Anywho, good to see a fellow Laibach/Squeezebox fan here. I just saw them for the 2005 WAT tour in Detroit, Michigan (USA) last year - awesome show; second time I have seen them.

They are a highly under-rated band, IMHO.

Cheers!

Skunk
2006-02-05, 01:18
I had to open it on my wife's 5 year old laptop and rip it with iTunes - I think Mute might have slipped some sneaky DRM software onto my computer!

Did you disable 'autoplay' cd's in windows, if using windows?

EAC+Accurate Rip hangs on the last track for me too. I wonder if it has more to do with the disc or the apps?

EnochLight
2006-02-05, 07:54
Did you disable 'autoplay' cd's in windows, if using windows?

Oh yes - autoplay is disabled - in my registry in fact. The even odder thing is that it is *NOT* disabled on my wife's 5 year old laptop and the CD played/ripped fine. On my brand new computer though, the DVD-ROM drives wouldn't even spin the disc up - they just kept choking on it. It's as if there was something on the disc that made it incompatible with my drives.

Anywho, no worries - it's ripped and playing comfortably on my Squeezebox right now as I type this!