PDA

View Full Version : PC-Cilin Personal Firewall

pankaj
2006-02-01, 12:04
Hi

Does anyone know what I need to do to 'Enable Personal Firewall' in Trend Micro's Pc-Cilin Internet Security software. Enabling this causes the SB3 and SlimServer to stop communicating with each other, so my only option is to disable the firewall, which is not good for my overall internet security.

The exceptions list in PC-Cilin shows all the Slim connections as allowed under 'OUT', both TCP and UDP. No connections show 'IN' for all Slim connections. My Windows (XP) Firewall is 'ON'.

Anything I'm missing here?

Pankaj

mherger
2006-02-01, 12:28
> The exceptions list in PC-Cilin shows all the Slim connections as
> allowed under 'OUT', both TCP and UDP. No connections show 'IN' for all
> Slim connections. My Windows (XP) Firewall is 'ON'.
>
> Anything I'm missing here?

Yes, allow them to come in - the player wants to talk to theserver, too.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

pankaj
2006-02-01, 12:53
'IN' for all five entries?

-SlimServer Control (TCP) port 3483
-SlimDiscovery (UDP) port 3483
-SlimServer Web (TCP) port 9000
-Slim (TCP) all ports
-SlimTray (TCP) all ports

All connections are only 'OUT' right now. Should I make all 'IN' as well? Any port changes for the 'IN' entries?

Thanks

Pankaj

Siduhe
2006-02-01, 12:56
Hi

Does anyone know what I need to do to 'Enable Personal Firewall' in Trend Micro's Pc-Cilin Internet Security software.

My Windows (XP) Firewall is 'ON'.

Pankaj

It also isn't a good idea to run two personal firewalls at the same time (i.e. both PC-Cilin and XP Firewall set to on). They tend to conflict with each other...

radish
2006-02-01, 15:05
It also isn't a good idea to run two personal firewalls at the same time (i.e. both PC-Cilin and XP Firewall set to on). They tend to conflict with each other...

Indeed - pick one and configure it correctly.

stevek1006
2006-02-03, 11:33
> Panka wrote:
>
> 'IN' for all five entries?
>

Yes, they need to be in. The Squeezeboxes must talk to the server.

> -SlimServer Control (TCP) port 3483
> -SlimDiscovery (UDP) port 3483
> -SlimServer Web (TCP) port 9000
> -Slim (TCP) all ports
> -SlimTray (TCP) all ports
>
> All connections are only 'OUT' right now. Should I make all
> 'IN' as well? Any port changes for the 'IN' entries?
>

Mockbeggar
2006-03-29, 12:44
The unfortunate thing about PC-Cillin is that disabling the firewall also disables the virus scan.

I'm a novice at much of this, but here's what I did. Opened my PC-Cillin and clicked on networking. Selected "Home network" and then the tab marked exceptions. Click the "add" button. I chose a specific application and navigated to "slim.exe". Next I selected TCP/UDP, and then "in" and "allow". In the port space I entered 3483,9000,9090.

That was it, and it works fine now. Previously I had to turn my virus scan off in order to access slimserver.