PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Slimserver on a dedicated machine



shaboyi
2006-01-31, 15:40
I have slimserver 6.2.2 running on a dedicated Pentium III 1.2 G with 512
RAM. The OS is W2K Pro. The machine does nothing except run slimserver and
music magic. I am looking for advice on what I can do to optimize
slimserver for this environment.

In Windows, besides removing pretty much all applications and anything else
that starts with the computer, I set it to optimize for background services,
rather than applications under Performance Options (I assume this should
help as slimserver does run as a system service and that is also the way
musicmagic is setup). I don't see any difference however.

I noticed under performance there are a number of settings, like -

a. Keep Unswapped Interval - the default is 30. Should I lower this, to say
10 or 5? Will it make a difference?
b. Database Temporary File - Set to Use RAM. I am sure this is best
c. DB Cache Size Tuning - the default is 10,000. I increased this 170,000,
under the assumption that this would use roughly 250 MB RAM, using the
guideline that 10000 uses about 15 MB. Is this too much, or too
little? Any advice?

any other ideas or point me to other advice would be much appreciated.

Thx, Charles

radish
2006-01-31, 17:19
Well, firstly you don't state what you're trying to achieve - is there a specific problem you're trying to solve?

To answer some of your points in a general sense:


I set it to optimize for background services,
rather than applications under Performance Options (I assume this should
help as slimserver does run as a system service and that is also the way
musicmagic is setup). I don't see any difference however.


Doesn't surprise me. What that setting does is prioritize background processes over foreground ones. You don't really have any foreground ones, so it won't make much difference.



a. Keep Unswapped Interval - the default is 30. Should I lower this, to say
10 or 5? Will it make a difference?


Unlikely to make much difference. Windows is unlikely to swap out slimserver unless it has to (i.e. it's short of ram) - you have a decent amount and again, nothing else running, so it's unlikely to be swapped out. If anything turning that feature off may prevent occasional "hangups" of the interface.



b. Database Temporary File - Set to Use RAM. I am sure this is best


Yup.



c. DB Cache Size Tuning - the default is 10,000. I increased this 170,000,
under the assumption that this would use roughly 250 MB RAM, using the
guideline that 10000 uses about 15 MB. Is this too much, or too
little? Any advice?


Use as much as you can get away with, but maybe not quite that much. With 512 available, I'd be wary of going much above 200 for the process as a whole - what does music magic use?

shaboyi
2006-01-31, 19:52
Thanks. The 'problem' I am trying to address is to get the web interface
to work more quickly. I primarily use the web interface, not the remote.
It can take 30 seconds to load certain pages (like Browse Albums or Browse
Artists). The music library is about 10K songs. The slow load times are
not related to the network as best I can tell - it is a wired network and
the slow load times occur both from client machines and on the
machine running slimserver. I have also shut down musicmagic to see if
that helps. Not appreciably.

Memory usage - Musicmagic uses about 24 MB and slim.exe is using about 70
MB. I lowered the database cache size to 130000.

I really don't think it is much of a RAM problem: I notice that the CPU
pretty much gets maxed out when loading pages like Browse Artists, Browse
Albums. It just may be that I need to move slimserver to a machine with a
faster CPU. I was hoping I could use the older PIII as it is a perfectly
fine machine.

Any other suggestions would be great.


On 1/31/06, radish <radish.22ixzb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Well, firstly you don't state what you're trying to achieve - is there a
> specific problem you're trying to solve?
>
> To answer some of your points in a general sense:
>
> > I set it to optimize for background services,
> > rather than applications under Performance Options (I assume this
> > should
> > help as slimserver does run as a system service and that is also the
> > way
> > musicmagic is setup). I don't see any difference however.
> >
>
> Doesn't surprise me. What that setting does is prioritize background
> processes over foreground ones. You don't really have any foreground
> ones, so it won't make much difference.
>
> >
> > a. Keep Unswapped Interval - the default is 30. Should I lower this, to
> > say
> > 10 or 5? Will it make a difference?
> >
>
> Unlikely to make much difference. Windows is unlikely to swap out
> slimserver unless it has to (i.e. it's short of ram) - you have a
> decent amount and again, nothing else running, so it's unlikely to be
> swapped out. If anything turning that feature off may prevent
> occasional "hangups" of the interface.
>
> >
> > b. Database Temporary File - Set to Use RAM. I am sure this is best
> >
>
> Yup.
>
> >
> > c. DB Cache Size Tuning - the default is 10,000. I increased this
> > 170,000,
> > under the assumption that this would use roughly 250 MB RAM, using the
> > guideline that 10000 uses about 15 MB. Is this too much, or too
> > little? Any advice?
> >
>
> Use as much as you can get away with, but maybe not quite that much.
> With 512 available, I'd be wary of going much above 200 for the process
> as a whole - what does music magic use?
>
>
> --
> radish
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> radish's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=77
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20641
>
>

Robin Bowes
2006-01-31, 20:07
>
> I really don't think it is much of a RAM problem: I notice that the CPU
> pretty much gets maxed out when loading pages like Browse Artists,
> Browse Albums. It just may be that I need to move slimserver to a
> machine with a faster CPU. I was hoping I could use the older PIII as
> it is a perfectly fine machine.

It should be fine. I'm running three instances of slimserver on a dual
1GHz PIII.

> Any other suggestions would be great.

I've seen this sort of behaviour before on a PIII laptop running XP Pro
- sometimes slimserver just really churns the disk.

I've never bothered getting to the bottom of it as I use linux mainly.

Linux is always an option.

R.

ceejay
2006-02-01, 00:42
You haven't mentioned which database you are using, but there is always the option of switching to mySQL. See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20281 for a recent discussion on this.

Have you tried this one?

Ceejay

Khuli
2006-02-01, 03:27
This may be a more useful thread if you do decide to use mySQL (includes 'how to setup' info)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20397&highlight=mysql

shaboyi
2006-02-01, 13:10
thx. I looked through that thread and it appears that the MySQL mainly
helps with scanning (please correct me if I am wrong).

I don't add music on a daily basis, usually doing it on a 'project' basis
where i will ripp 50 or 60 albums over a weekend and add them to the library
all at once, letting it scan overnight after the add - so I would not go
through the trouble if that is the main benefit. If there are other
perceptible performance improvements, I'll do it. Thanks.


On 2/1/06, Khuli <Khuli.22jqgb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> This may be a more useful thread if you do decide to use mySQL (includes
> 'how to setup' info)
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20397&highlight=mysql
>
>
> --
> Khuli
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Khuli's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=851
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20641
>
>

mherger
2006-02-01, 13:42
> thx. I looked through that thread and it appears that the MySQL mainly
> helps with scanning (please correct me if I am wrong).

On my system it also sped up CLI requests (getting album/artist/song
lists) by about 25-30%. So I guess searches and browsing the music
collection will also profit (though I never experienced problems there).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

max.spicer
2006-02-01, 14:54
Since switching to MySQL I've definitely noticed things being a lot quicker. Then again, my slimserver machine is fairly underpowered (PIII 450 with 224MB RAM), so you may not see these effects if running on a decent machine to start with.

If you know MySQL anyway, I'd say go for it. If you don't, go for it if you're feeling adventurous (shouldn't be too hard), or you think you need all the speed up you can get. Bear in mind though, MySQL isn't officially supported. However, it's hard to imagine Slim not supporting it anyway. ;-)

Max


> thx. I looked through that thread and it appears that the MySQL mainly
> helps with scanning (please correct me if I am wrong).

On my system it also sped up CLI requests (getting album/artist/song
lists) by about 25-30%. So I guess searches and browsing the music
collection will also profit (though I never experienced problems there).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

shaboyi
2006-02-01, 19:14
I don't know it, but I will give it a try and see if it makes an improvement
and report back.

I checked the wiki - looks like those are the linux instructions. is there
any one place where there are windows instructions

I did move slimserver to a PIV 1.7 Ghz with 640 RAM (XP Pro) and it works
better there, that is for sure. But that machine is for the kids and would
sure like to put my old PIII to use (supermicro board, always very solid).


On 2/1/06, max. spicer <max.spicer.22kmeb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Since switching to MySQL I've definitely noticed things being a lot
> quicker. Then again, my slimserver machine is fairly underpowered
> (PIII 450 with 224MB RAM), so you may not see these effects if running
> on a decent machine to start with.
>
> If you know MySQL anyway, I'd say go for it. If you don't, go for it
> if you're feeling adventurous (shouldn't be too hard), or you think you
> need all the speed up you can get. Bear in mind though, MySQL isn't
> officially supported. However, it's hard to imagine Slim not
> supporting it anyway. ;-)
>
> Max
>
> mherger Wrote:
> > > thx. I looked through that thread and it appears that the MySQL
> > mainly
> > > helps with scanning (please correct me if I am wrong).
> >
> > On my system it also sped up CLI requests (getting album/artist/song
> > lists) by about 25-30%. So I guess searches and browsing the music
> > collection will also profit (though I never experienced problems
> > there).
> >
> > --
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
> > Help translate SlimServer by using the
> > StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>
>
> --
> max.spicer
>
> The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible
> teeth
> and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws
> but Max stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> max.spicer's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=23
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20641
>
>

Kirk Ferguson
2006-02-04, 22:32
On 2/1/06, Charles Stanton <shaboyi (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> I don't know it, but I will give it a try and see if it makes an improvement
> and report back.
>
> I checked the wiki - looks like those are the linux instructions. is there
> any one place where there are windows instructions
>
> I did move slimserver to a PIV 1.7 Ghz with 640 RAM (XP Pro) and it works
> better there, that is for sure. But that machine is for the kids and would
> sure like to put my old PIII to use (supermicro board, always very solid)..

Have you looked at the latest SlimCD (http://www.herger.net/SlimCD/) ?
Might be a quick way to test Linux performance on your PIII hardware.
I suspect you'll be amazed at the difference.

Kirk

notanatheist
2006-02-05, 00:02
This isn't being written to intentionally advocate Linux over Windows. This is just from experience.

My linux box: 1.8Ghz Athlon XP, 512, Slackware 10.2, Slim 6.2.2 series, music playing off two Squeeze's, XMMS, and random file transfers across the network (photos, video). NEVER a hiccup. (This excludes the 'out of space' errors related to 6.2.1)

The damned Windows box at work: 2.4Ghz Celery D, 512MB, Slim 6.2.1, only Softsqueeze from another box and some network access. Damn thing drops *ALL* the time. Microsoft's implementation of TCP/IP is borked.

Ideally, do a text based install on a distro, don't run X, stick in the corner. Use Intel or 3Com for your network cards if you can. Administer everything through SSH. The web interface is as snappy as can be.