PDA

View Full Version : Gap between songs

BigMax
2006-01-31, 15:47
Hi

I have downloaded Slimserver 6.2.1 and I am using it with SoftSqueeze,and when I select an album it plays but there is a gap between the songs which is very irritating.
I am seriously thinking about buying SB3, but unless I can get remove the gap I won't be.

Some suggested I should look for crossfade, but I have and I cannot find any option to that even looks like crossfade in either the server or player settings.

Please could someone help me as I want to upset my bank manager and buy SB3.

Thanks in anticipation

ceejay
2006-01-31, 16:00
Several possibilities here - first, there was an issue with Softsqueeze recently. Try downloading the latest 6.2.2 nightly and see if you get the same thing.

Secondly, what format music files are you playing? If they need transcoding and you have a slow server this might cause some delays. Also, some formats (eg MP3) aren't so good at doing true gapless playing.

Normally, playing to a Squeezebox, using say FLAC, there should be no delays...

Ceejay

BigMax
2006-01-31, 16:12
I ws trying it on MP3, althoug most of my music is WMA.

I will try 6.2.2, but my server should be fairly quick as its a fast machine.

Any idea why I cannot see the options for crossfading in the settings. What should it be under?

Thankyou for your help

Rgds

kdf
2006-01-31, 16:24
Quoting BigMax <BigMax.22iuib (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Any idea why I cannot see the options for crossfading in the settings.
> What should it be under?

It should be under player settings->audio. However, Softsqueeze does
not yet support this feature, which would explain why the setting is
not there.

-kdf

radish
2006-01-31, 17:26
If you want true gapless playback you'll need to use a format that's capable of it, which is currently:

WAV/PCM/AIFF
OGG
FLAC

Using any of those the squeezebox can certainly play 100% gapless transitions.

I've heard that WMA can be gapless, but I'm not sure what the decoder requirements for that are - I don't _think_ the squeezebox can do WMA gapless (though I'd be very happy to be corrected).

MP3 gapless relies on one of a number of hacks, only one of which (aligning track boundaries to frame boundaries) will work on squeezebox. To do that you'll need to have encoded your MP3s with the correct version of LAME and the right settings.

autopilot
2006-02-01, 04:09
I was on the hydrogenaudio forums the other day, and it seems there are some utilities for removing the padding fames from MP3's to help achieve decent gapless playback but i have not tried them so can say for sure how well they work.

The other option for true gapless playback with MP3 (even better than FLAC, OGG etc) is to use CUE sheets, well once they are finally fixed properley in slimserver anyway. Although that would be no use for files you have already ripped.

Come on Slim Devices, bring on the native OGG decoding please!

BigMax
2006-02-01, 10:44
Hi

I am used to playing my MP3's and WMA files using Windows Media 10, which i know is a different animal, but that plays both formats gapless.

When I rip my CDs I use variable bit rate WMA at high quality approx 200 Kbit/s. What MP3s I have are fixed at 192Kbit/s. I use WMP to do the ripping.

How close to the Squeezebox environment is Softsqueeze, ie although I have very frustrating gaps with Softsqueeze will it not be there with the wireless squeezebox. I don't want to buy the box and hear gaps.

All the things about frames and cues etc seem to add up to alot of fiddling.

If anyone can help it would be great, there must be other people having the same problem.

RGds

Desperate

slimdemage
2006-02-01, 15:00
I tried out an SB3, but it could not playback my albums without gaps in between tracks. All my MP3s are VBR LAME ripped in EAC. Apparently the developers are considering adding support for a gapless "hack" that can allow certain MP3's to playback without gaps. Considering my PC can playback my albums properly using software like Winamp or Foobar, I assume the Squeezebox should be able to as well. Once they fix the SB3's wireless issues and support gapless playback I plan to re-purchase. The Squeezebox has such incredible potential, and I am really looking forward to having one that solves this problem.

BigMax
2006-02-02, 03:14
If you want true gapless playback you'll need to use a format that's capable of it, which is currently:

WAV/PCM/AIFF
OGG
FLAC

Using any of those the squeezebox can certainly play 100% gapless transitions.

I've heard that WMA can be gapless, but I'm not sure what the decoder requirements for that are - I don't _think_ the squeezebox can do WMA gapless (though I'd be very happy to be corrected).

MP3 gapless relies on one of a number of hacks, only one of which (aligning track boundaries to frame boundaries) will work on squeezebox. To do that you'll need to have encoded your MP3s with the correct version of LAME and the right settings.

Thanks for your reply. I have now downloaded the free DBpower AMP music converter and ripped a CD (The wall ) into FLAC and rather frustratingly it still has gaps. Don't you have gaps, if so you must find it annoying surely - or is it just me? Its OK if the original music CD had gaps, but when you are listening to a live recording where there is a seamless transistion from one track to another with maybe the sound from the crowd, or listening to club music with the same gradual transistion is very frustrating. Any further suggestions would be great. Thankyou

chrisal
2006-02-02, 03:42
Make sure you are using softsqueeze version 2.3 - gapless flac didn't work before this version

BigMax
2006-02-02, 04:03
Thanks, but where do I get Softsqueeze 2.3 from please?

autopilot
2006-02-02, 04:34
Bigmax, a have many CD's that require gapless playback (DJ sets mainly) and i rip to FLAC. The SB3 plays them back gaplessly perfectly 99.999999% of the time (the odd time that a gap apears, which very rare, is down to limitations of my slow wifi network).

As for CUE's or Ripping without padding frames, its not really a fiddle - EAC (the best CD ripper app) can be setup for this with ease, then pop a CD and let it go. But that said, CUE support is a bit flakey in the current slimserver but will hopefully be sorted in later versions.

BigMax
2006-02-02, 04:57
Hi Dangerous

Thanks. What do you use to rip to FLAC please?

chrisal
2006-02-02, 06:13
http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

go to the downloads link....

radish
2006-02-02, 07:02
Thanks for your reply. I have now downloaded the free DBpower AMP music converter and ripped a CD (The wall ) into FLAC and rather frustratingly it still has gaps. Don't you have gaps, if so you must find it annoying surely - or is it just me? Its OK if the original music CD had gaps, but when you are listening to a live recording where there is a seamless transistion from one track to another with maybe the sound from the crowd, or listening to club music with the same gradual transistion is very frustrating. Any further suggestions would be great. Thankyou

No, I don't have gaps, but then I'm using a squeezebox not softsqueeze. I thought your original question was about whether a squeezebox can be gapless, to which the answer is yes, rather than softsqueeze, which I have very little expertise in.

BigMax
2006-02-02, 10:34
Hi Radish,

I was trying to find out how the softsqueeze experience is compared to the SB3.

autopilot
2006-02-02, 18:16
Hi Dangerous

Thanks. What do you use to rip to FLAC please?

EAC (Exact Audio Copy), which is pretty much accepted as the gold standard for audio rippers.

BigMax
2006-02-06, 08:53
Hi Dangerous

I thought EAC was only for MP3 or WAV? I thought about going down the FLAC path. Please advise

I haev now bought my SB3 and although I can only get it to work in WEP 64 I love it.

Best Rgds

ceejay
2006-02-06, 08:59
Hi Dangerous

I thought EAC was only for MP3 or WAV? I thought about going down the FLAC path. Please advise

I haev now bought my SB3 and although I can only get it to work in WEP 64 I love it.

Best Rgds

You can get EAC to produce anything you like - it has the idea of an external compressor program, so you just set that up to point to flac.exe or whatever. Or, if you want several types all at once, us a front end program eg MAREO which pretends to be a compressor but which actually fronts several others.

Ceejay

slimdemage
2006-02-07, 14:52
I returned my defective SB3 for a refund. Today I tried installing Softsqueeze to see if it can play gapless, and it failed (using Slimserver 6.2.1). It inserts skips and gaps between tracks that play flawlessly on Foobar or Winamp. So, after all this frustration, I created a wireless network music solution using my laptop! I am thrilled to admit that it works really well. It stays connected via wireless, and plays my MP3's (EAC LAME VBR) with complete precision, and no gaps in between songs. I can finally listen to a full album in the living room without it stopping or skipping, all over wireless!!!

Here's how I created a working solution:

1.) Buy a laptop with wireless capabilities and a decent headphone jack. (I use a cheap Toshiba). Connect the audio output to your stereo.

2.) From your desktop computer, share your music folder (via windows file sharing). Be mindful of security precautions, young Jedi.

3.) On the laptop, map a network drive to the shared music folder.

4.) Using Winamp or Foobar, access your music folder directly and playback some tunes! Throw on a full color visualizer and pump it through the TV!

I really wish the Squeezebox or Softsqueeze would have worked, but they didn't. All they did was not function as described and waste my time. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

radish
2006-02-07, 15:15
I really wish the Squeezebox or Softsqueeze would have worked, but they didn't. All they did was not function as described and waste my time. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Please take your trolling elsewhere.

autopilot
2006-02-08, 04:35
How to do it right? That sounds like a right fudge compared to the elegant solution the SB3 provides, Well for start, using the headphone socket will result in poor sound quality through a HiFi. You need a proper line out.

Anyway, my SB3 plays my music gaplessly perfectly. I have about 50 CD's that require gapless playback, which is why i bought a SB3. Not Slimdevices fault MP3 is flawed, but there are work arounds. In fact, a gapless DJ mix CD that i ripped years ago with MP3 played back gaplessly very nicely yesterday. But now i rip to FLAC and OGG for perfect gapless playback. If i have to use MP3, i would use a CUE sheet (although there is a bug in the current slimserver verion regarding CUE's).

"All they did was not function as described" - What exactly did not function for you?

But if you are happy, then its all good. I personally can't aford a laptop over a SB3, but would not want to anyway. For a start, pluging it all in all the time would get very annoying.

slimdemage
2006-02-15, 13:16
No trolling intended, and I apologize if the message came across that way. Yes, the laptop is big and bulky compared to a Slim Device. However, it works very well playing my albums gapless without ever losing wireless connection. It is a shame the Squeezebox did not function as described (the ability to reliably play music over the wireless connection), but after claiming my wireless access point is incompatible (WAP54G) Slim Devices then blamed this on a "bad" wireless card. I would say it wasn't "bad" as in "dead", it just worked very poorly, crashing and losing connection the way others describe on these forums. So, I was a victim of manufacturing defect according to S.D. At some point in the future I plan to try again, and I really hope it works. Knocking on wood, crossing fingers.

Kurt
2006-02-17, 12:27
"I really wish the Squeezebox or Softsqueeze would have worked, but they didn't. All they did was not function as described and waste my time. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

Well, I've tried almost every type of arrangement possible for playing MP3s, Flac, whatever, and this is the best. And the sound quality? I'm somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to the extremes in the audiophile world, but the difference between hooking up a laptop to a stereo vs. using this device is like the difference between AM radio and a CD.

But if you're happy with your setup, you da man! That's all that counts.

MartinP
2006-02-17, 14:37
I too experienced gaps in playback using Softsqueeze, even version 2.3, and even streaming AIFF files. So I was a bit nervous when I ordered an SB3. But I've had no problems with it. The wireless connection is fine, with no dropouts. Playback is gapless, with CDs ripped to ALAC and converted on the fly to FLAC by Slimserver before being streamed. So in answer to your original question, Softsqueeze is not a complete parallel to an actual Squeezebox - the Squeezebox is much better.

tern
2006-04-22, 11:37
I cannot get my FLAC files to play back Gapless.

I have a wireless Squeezebox (Squeezebox 1) and am using Slimserver 6.2.1
(SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252)

I have FLAC files which play back gapless perfectly in foobar2000, but when I play them on my Squeezebox there is a distinct gap between each track.

Thanks for any help,
Robin.

Phil Leigh
2006-04-22, 12:58
My gapless FLACS are perfectly gapless - The Wall has NO gaps... I've no idea why anyone is having a "gap" problem. I certainly don't. Clearly this is not an inherent problem in the SB - sounds like a rip problem. As for using a laptop - I tried it - it sounds horrible - dig the noise (hum, rustling etc) for a start...

AndreasG
2006-04-23, 03:23
Hi!

I cannot contribute to this thread much with technical details and background information -- but you might be interested in my experience:

My library is encoded in Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) on a Mac, it contains many albums for which gapless playback is essential. This works fine in iTunes if you set crossfade to 0 seconds. Before buying a SqueezeBox I played around with SoftSqueeze a lot and to my dissapointment, I had exactly the same problems like you: I never got gapless playback to work and almost abandoned the idea of getting a SqueezBox.

Now the good news: all my files play fine without gaps on my SB3, it was just SoftSqueeze that made the problems. I am transcoding ALAC to FLAC, streaming wirelessly.

Bottom line: if your files are ripped and encoded correctly, there's a good chance that playback will be gapless on your SqueezeBox. Maybe you can find some way to test this before buying?

Andreas

radish
2006-04-23, 09:55
I cannot get my FLAC files to play back Gapless.

I have a wireless Squeezebox (Squeezebox 1) and am using Slimserver 6.2.1
(SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252)

I have FLAC files which play back gapless perfectly in foobar2000, but when I play them on my Squeezebox there is a distinct gap between each track.

Thanks for any help,
Robin.

The SB1 doesn't play FLAC native, so what are you transcoding to? If it's mp3, that will cause your problem as mp3 is not gapless. Transcode to, and stream as, WAV and you should be good - I know my SB1 works fine that way.