PDA

View Full Version : SB3 coaxial output losing lock signal...

empty99
2006-01-31, 09:55
whenever I use light dimmer switches in the house, causing loud scratchy noises. I am currently forced to use the optical out. Any cure appreciated, TN

SB3>MF A3.24/192K DAC>Alps Blackwidow pot>2 Naks PA7>B&W 802 Nautilus

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-31, 11:04
Replace the light dimmer. They are notorious EMI
emitters.

There are more efficient, electrically quieter electronic dimmers but the best solution is to use a switch instead.

empty99 wrote:
> whenever I use light dimmer switches in the house,
causing loud scratchy
> noises. I am currently forced to use the optical
out. Any cure
> appreciated, TN
>
> SB3>MF A3.24/192K DAC>Alps Blackwidow pot>2 Naks
PA7>B&W 802 Nautilus
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

Patrick Dixon
2006-01-31, 11:55
I'd guess it's more likely to be earth related: the optical connection provides electrical isolation between the SB and the DAC, whereas the S/PDIF doesn't. You could try attaching an earth to the earth sleeve on one of the SB phono outputs.

abdomen
2006-01-31, 13:50
whenever I use light dimmer switches in the house, causing loud scratchy noises. I am currently forced to use the optical out. Any cure appreciated, TN

SB3>MF A3.24/192K DAC>Alps Blackwidow pot>2 Naks PA7>B&W 802 Nautilus

I don't know if this will be helpful, but below are excerpts from an earlier post that yours reminded me of, followed by a link to a response from Sean Adams. Again, I'm not sure if the thoughts and suggestions in Sean's post will be useful to you in this instance.

I have my SB2 connected to a Classe DAC-1. Both the SB2 and the DAC share a single power outlet (via a power strip). I have noticed that when I turn on/off lights in my house that I occasionally get glitches in the audio output...
I don't have these problems when using the toslink input on my DAC...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=39192&postcount=3

empty99
2006-01-31, 23:18
I will check on the grounding potential, a likely culprit and fairly EZ to test. I am quite happy with optical output quality but just want to find out why the problem w/ coax. Thanks again, TN