PDA

View Full Version : Playlist creation question

phicar2
2006-01-30, 12:48
Can anyone tell me an easy way to do the following:
I am going through my music library and planning on making a bunch of playlists. What I would like to do is cue up an albumn and as I listening to it move the songs from the albumn to different playlist. Said another way: I go browse albumn, pick an albumn and start playing it. While it is playing I say OK, track 1 add to playlist 1, track 2 add to playlist 5, track 7 add to playlist 15, etc.
Right now I can't seem to find an easy way to do this...any suggestions?

ceejay
2006-01-30, 15:37
How about using Music Magic Mixer from predixis.com ?

You can create a lot of playlists and just drag and drop, I think. It also does great mixes of its own, too.

You only need the free version to be able to do this. There is a paid version which does more, including allowing use of a slimserver plugin, but its not essential.

HTH

Ceejay

phicar2
2006-01-31, 17:48
I will give that a try. I must admit, I do think that iTunes does a great job with this and is very easy to use. From your description it sounds like predixis is similar...

ceejay
2006-02-01, 02:11
I will give that a try. I must admit, I do think that iTunes does a great job with this and is very easy to use. From your description it sounds like predixis is similar...

Well, if you really like iTunes then why not carry on using it?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes

Actually there are a couple of reasons why not, for me the main one is "iTunes won't support FLAC", but many people here do use iTunes + Slimserver, it may work for you too.

HTH
Ceejay

fairyliquidizer
2006-02-03, 16:17
Well, if you really like iTunes then why not carry on using it?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes

Actually there are a couple of reasons why not, for me the main one is "iTunes won't support FLAC", but many people here do use iTunes + Slimserver, it may work for you too.

HTH
Ceejay

You can always use dBPoweramp music converter to convert your FLACs to ALACs and then use iTunes. However like me you probably want to stick with native formats if possible.

I'm a noob so I've still to work out if I can make playlists from the remote control and if not what the best option is with a harddrive full of FLACs?

ceejay
2006-02-04, 02:15
I'm a noob so I've still to work out if I can make playlists from the remote control and if not what the best option is with a harddrive full of FLACs?

Well, you can create playlists from the remote control but you really don't want to do that! You'd have to build up the "now playing" playlist, one track at a time, and then use the Save Playlist plugin to save it with a name. But this would be horribly slow, and there is no easy way to change the order of tracks, so you'd have to get it right first time.

Slightly better is to use the slimserver web interface, navigation to the next track you want to add is a bit easier, and you can shuffle things up and down the list.

But its still pretty slow and clunky, hence my earlier suggestion to use a separate program that does this well, such as Music Magic Mixer (there are many others!)

Ceejay

fairyliquidizer
2006-02-04, 04:34
Well, you can create playlists from the remote control but you really don't want to do that! You'd have to build up the "now playing" playlist, one track at a time, and then use the Save Playlist plugin to save it with a name. But this would be horribly slow, and there is no easy way to change the order of tracks, so you'd have to get it right first time.

Slightly better is to use the slimserver web interface, navigation to the next track you want to add is a bit easier, and you can shuffle things up and down the list.

But its still pretty slow and clunky, hence my earlier suggestion to use a separate program that does this well, such as Music Magic Mixer (there are many others!)

Ceejay

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Question.... The server has a playlist directory, can I just create .pls playlists in WinAmp or Foobar and save them there? Do they have to be in the same directory as the music? Sorry am still ripping my collection to FLAC (day 3!) so haven't had much time to play around.

ceejay
2006-02-04, 04:50
You specify the directory under "Playlists Folder" in Server Settings. Can be the same or different to the music folder. Slim looks for .m3u files, AFAIK. Foobar will create these (if asked) but I don't know about WinAmp.

Ceejay