PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy this! talk me into it!



Mark Lanctot
2006-01-29, 11:37
NJRonbo wrote:
> Broadcasting my MP3 collection to another
> room seems like a wonderful idea, and from all
> the devices I have looked at, SLIM DEVICE looks
> to be the absolute winner!
>
> Is everyone happy with this device? Worth the
> $299?
>
> I hear you can turn this into an alarm clock to
> wake you to music. Does such a plug-in exist?
> I didn't see it in the PLUG-INS area.
>
> Just look forward to hearing general comments.
>

Well one big thing that no one has covered yet is
that the device mostly depends on the server. It
can use the comparatively vast CPU and memory
resources of even an old PC to perform most tasks.
The player is a "slim device" - one having no
more processing power than necessary. PC
resources are cheap. Embedded CPU and flash
memory resources in the player are not!

This means that changes to the software can bring
radical changes to player features. New features
can be added quickly and immense feature changes
are possible. Almost no other consumer device can
be changed or updated as quickly and easily as a
Squeezebox can...relatively speaking. I imagine
the developers may take issue with that statement
but it is most definitely easier to add a feature
to a Squeezebox than it is to add a feature to,
say, a DVD player, an A/V receiver or an HDTV.

The device also has excellent audio quality. It's
one of the best MP3 players out there for sound
quality, but for playback of CDs it will handily
beat any consumer-level CD player and approach
audiophile CD players costing $500 or more. With
error-free CD extraction and storage in a lossless
file format like FLAC, you are literally getting
every single bit that was recorded on the original CD.

Basic control is through a remote and advanced
control is though a web browser. You can adjust
almost every aspect of the device's operation
though the web browser. It's infinitely more
flexible than just about any other consumer device.

Plus you do not have to have a local server to
listen to Internet audio content - there are
Internet-based servers available at SqueezeNetwork
for this. So it can be a standalone Internet
radio or, as you mention, an alarm clock, which is
what I set up yesterday:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20518

--
___________________________________


Mark Lanctot
___________________________________

vdorta
2006-01-29, 18:25
audiophile CD players costing $500 or more
Audiophile $500? maybe $5,000?

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-29, 19:39
Euhm...I was referring to ones better than the
consumer-level things you can get in clear clamshell
packages these days.

From, for example, Denon. DCM-280, $400 CDN, DCM-380,
$510 CDN.

Perhaps some may not consider those
audiophile-quality, but they are far beyond the stuff
you can get in Best Buy. And the Squeezebox will
almost certainly match them for sound quality.

I did not want to say that it equalled a $5000 CD
player because someone might call me out...

--- vdorta
<vdorta.22fbfb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Mark Lanctot Wrote:
> > audiophile CD players costing $500 or more
> Audiophile $500? maybe $5,000?
>
>
> --
> vdorta
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> vdorta's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1446
> View this thread:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20554
>
>

Skunk
2006-01-30, 07:38
I did not want to say that it equalled a $5000 CD
player because someone might call me out...

A $5,000 cd player would have much nicer internals than a SB; DAC, caps, wiring, power supply, etc. So yes, it would sound better.

A slightly modified Squeezebox, however, is likely as good as a $5,000 CD TRANSPORT (theoretically).

Robin Bowes
2006-01-30, 07:59
Skunk said the following on 01/30/2006 02:38 PM:
> Mark Lanctot Wrote:
>
>>I did not want to say that it equalled a $5000 CD
>>player because someone might call me out...
>
>
> A $5,000 cd player would have much nicer internals than a SB; DAC,
> caps, wiring, power supply, etc. So yes, it would sound better.

That is, at best, speculation.

s/would/could/

R.

Skunk
2006-01-30, 08:24
Skunk said the following on 01/30/2006 02:38 PM:
> Mark Lanctot Wrote:
>
>>I did not want to say that it equalled a $5000 CD
>>player because someone might call me out...
>
>
> A $5,000 cd player would have much nicer internals than a SB; DAC,
> caps, wiring, power supply, etc. So yes, it would sound better.

That is, at best, speculation.

s/would/could/

R.

Most people cite improvements due to external DA conversion. Either the BB 1748 or it's implementation is not as good as cheap $1,000 DA converters, let alone the new $5,000 DCS player...

Robin Bowes
2006-01-30, 09:02
Skunk said the following on 01/30/2006 03:24 PM:
> Robin Bowes Wrote:
>
>>Skunk said the following on 01/30/2006 02:38 PM:
>>
>>>Mark Lanctot Wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I did not want to say that it equalled a $5000 CD
>>>>player because someone might call me out...
>>>
>>>
>>>A $5,000 cd player would have much nicer internals than a SB; DAC,
>>>caps, wiring, power supply, etc. So yes, it would sound better.
>>
>>That is, at best, speculation.
>>
>>s/would/could/
>>
>>R.
>
>
> Most people cite improvements due to external DA conversion. Either the
> BB 1748 or it's implementation is not as good as cheap $1,000 DA
> converters, let alone the new $5,000 DCS player...

"Most" <> "all".

You seem to like quoting other people's opinions and also present
speculations as hard facts.

Please don't.

R.

Skunk
2006-01-30, 09:32
"Most" <> "all".

You seem to like quoting other people's opinions and also present
speculations as hard facts.

Please don't.

R.

No problem. I agree, actually.

Who is willing to answer such questions definitevely? Even Stereophile cannot audition all players in the range. I am willing to go out on a limb, and say 'Yes, there are cd players costing $5,000 that are better than your squeezebox, sorry pal'.

Would your speculation be the same? Hi End Audio is all one big educated guess. Science is utterly proveable, while most of audiophilia is not.

I research products before building/buying, and want someone to prove me wrong before expending effort/income. You have failed to ever do that, and would rather attack me personally, so I suggest doing some research yourself.

I recommend others do the same, and should hope nobody reads something [especially on the internet], or hears it from their dealer, and acts directly upon it.

Skunk
2006-01-30, 09:38
A $5,000 cd player would have much nicer internals than a SB; DAC, caps, wiring, power supply, etc. So yes, it would sound better.

A slightly modified Squeezebox, however, is likely as good as a $5,000 CD TRANSPORT (theoretically).

Sorry, I actually didn't mean to present it that way- and see your point about _would_. It should have said _might_, I agree.