PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy this! talk me into it!

NJRonbo
2006-01-29, 06:50
Broadcasting my MP3 collection to another
room seems like a wonderful idea, and from all
the devices I have looked at, SLIM DEVICE looks
to be the absolute winner!

Is everyone happy with this device? Worth the
$299?

I hear you can turn this into an alarm clock to
wake you to music. Does such a plug-in exist?
I didn't see it in the PLUG-INS area.

Just look forward to hearing general comments.

ScottMayo
2006-01-29, 07:21
I have 2. I love these things; I'm going to get a 3rd and use it as my alarm clock (that function is built in, not a plug in).

When I want the last word in audiophile perfection, I still turn to my SACD player. The other 97% of the time, I hit a button and get access to a whole lot of music, very easily, in 2 different rooms. It's about as good as it gets.

erland
2006-01-29, 07:31
I have had one for a month now and I am very happy with it.

Regarding the price I guess it depends on what you are comparing with. There are cheaper devices out there but as far as I know none of them are as good as the Squeezebox regarding sound quality and visibility of the display a few metres away.
So if the sound quality isn't important and you don't need the display I think I would have looked elsewhere, but if you want the sound quality and the display go for it.

The open source server part of Squeezebox also makes sure that there will be plenty of plugins available for all sorts of things.

ezkcdude
2006-01-29, 08:26
Well, I think you're not exactly going to get impartial opinions on this particular board. Having said that, yeah, go for it. The SqueezeBox is probably the most convenient and value-full piece of electronics I have ever owned.

Skunk
2006-01-29, 10:30
The device natively decodes flac, which is a lossless compressed format. You get about a 50% or more file size reduction vs. .wav files, and can tag them. I highly recommend re-ripping your collection if you invest in the squeezebox, but mp3's sound great through it too.

You also get a sticker with it that says 'mp3 is not a crime'. I actually think it 'is' as crime, as FLAC is an all around better choice...

slimdemage
2006-01-29, 10:47
I just ordered a new SB3, and after over ten hours of my time, it still doesn't work. It has potential but be prepared to pay to become a beta-tester. So much potential, in fact, that I plan to pour many more hours of my time into attempting to make this product work. By purchasing the item you will be helping to iron out all the problems. Go for it, if you dare. Just remember, if you smash it with a hammer they will not refund the item.

Skunk
2006-01-29, 11:11
Also remember that you get the greatest network of customer service ever created. I've never seen forums like this for a mainstream product, so the few who have problems get lots of help quickly, and never have to call an 800 number..

slimdemage
2006-01-29, 11:18
I second that. What a great staff! If you call Slimdevices, a person answers the phone! Even random programmers are emailing me back. Now, if only I could make this darn thing work.... ;)

jasenj1
2006-01-29, 18:24
I just got mine on Thursday. I'm very impressed. As others have said, the SB3 is a fine piece of equipment. The display is VERY nice. All the different plugins to display lots of different things are a nice touch - weather, sports scores, RSS feeds, spectrum analyzer, etc. The fact that the system is so open from a hacking point of view is great, too. If there's some use you can think of to put the SB to, you can write it - or someone else may have thought of it and you can find a plugin for it.

Oh, and it let's you play music, too. Very, very, well. There are folks with multi, multi, thousand dollar rigs using the SB. Like $5,000+ stereos, with rooms dedicated to listening to music. These are the sort of people who hunt down quality gear and are willing to pay big $$$ for it. The fact that these sorts of people buy the SB ought to tell you something about its quality.

The ability to play Internet radio is very nice, too. Slim Devices has preloaded a bunch of stations, and you can add your own to the list. IMHO, the process for adding stations is a little tricky, but it can be done.

It is not without it's quirks, though. The documentation is pretty slim when it comes to the wireless setup. If you know what you're doing, and how to use your router's setup software well, you can muddle through it. But if you aren't VERY comfortable messing with such things, you could find yourself frustrated. To be fair, there is only so much they can put in the manual. There are so many variations of operating system, wireless router, quirks of the various routers, etc. that it'd be impossible for them to put everything in the manual. And the SB3 does have some wireless compatibility quirks - there is a new version of the firmware coming out soon to address some of these.

The server software is pretty powerful, but it is on the "techie" side. By that I mean there are not big colorful buttons with dead easy functions. There's a BUNCH of configuration options, and keeping them all straight could be confusing if you're not used to doing that sort of thing. It could definitely use the touch of a usability expert.

In summary, it's a great product for someone comfortable with technology and willing to pay for quality. I don't think it'd be good for someone who needs something to "just work" and for whom "good enough" is good enough.

- Jasen.

slimdemage
2006-01-29, 19:25
actually I think my unit is defective. Just curious, what wireless router are you using with the SB3?

Kyle
2006-01-29, 19:45
actually I think my unit is defective. Just curious, what wireless router are you using with the SB3?
There have been many threads about different routers and the SB3, and I think there's a wiki on compatibility, as well. Do a search and check the wiki. FWIW, I use a Belkin Pre-N router with no problems.

To the thread originator, if you get the SB3 working properly, you will not regret your decision. Mine hooked into the network on the first try with no problems at all. Being able to sit in your favorite listening chair and access all of your music is "priceless," as the MasterCard commercials say. I looked at several alternatives and was willing to pay $1,000+ for a product that doesn't do all that the SB3 does. And with software and firmware updates, there's no telling what functionality will be added to the device over the next couple of years with little or no additional investment.

seanadams
2006-01-29, 21:05
There have been many threads about different routers and the SB3, and I think there's a wiki on compatibility, as well. Do a search and check the wiki. FWIW, I use a Belkin Pre-N router with no problems.

To the thread originator, if you get the SB3 working properly, you will not regret your decision. Mine hooked into the network on the first try with no problems at all. Being able to sit in your favorite listening chair and access all of your music is "priceless," as the MasterCard commercials say. I looked at several alternatives and was willing to pay $1,000+ for a product that doesn't do all that the SB3 does. And with software and firmware updates, there's no telling what functionality will be added to the device over the next couple of years with little or no additional investment.

With respect to the wireless bugs please be aware we have a beta firmware update available now which resolves the majority of them - see this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20506

Nightly builds are here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

klausbgva
2006-01-30, 01:51
Once you get a slimbox will wonder how you ever managed to live without it.
We bought our seleves 4 more for X-mast that was only 3 month after our initial purchase.

All my friends who see the BOX want to have one. I am up 13 slimboxes counting mine and my friends. Will get another 2-4 today or tomorrow.

The software is really easy to install and workwith.

I now have 6 local slimboxes, 3 slimboxes over the internet and 3 pc's running on my slimserver.

My wife loves the slimboxes; she can't make up her mind which one is best: kitchen, bathroom, bedroom or living room.

Support forum and e-mail as said before is one of the best I have ever seen.

4mula1
2006-01-30, 05:01
I bought one in the early part of January and have another on the way. It's a fantastic product!!! I have one hooked up to my home theater system and the other will be in the kitchen with a set of powered speakers. Since I started listening to music on my computer I found I really don't like listening to my CDs anymore, mainly because I like to shuffle my playlist.

I had only one issue when I got my SB3 and that was due to poor access point location. This was also my first wireless device so I learned quite a bit with this.

The self updates are nice, when I first got my SB3 hooked up to my network the first thing it did was get a new firmware. Virtually no interaction from me needed other than agreeing to install it. Very nice.

All in all a very cool device. I wish it cost less so I could get more, but it's still worth the price they ask now.

sdwhite
2006-01-30, 05:15
Having tested the device wired its great BUT you need to make sure that your router is not on the extensive list of known problem combinations.

Despite the previous post the new firmware has not resolved my wireless issue that stop me using the SB3.

On the up side the developer did email to tell me that the new firmware had failed testing for my router. You won't find that honesty in many places.

For me though I am sending mine back for a refund as no wireless defeats the purpose of the device in the first place and they are talking weeks before the next release that might resolve it.

Skunk
2006-01-30, 07:27
For me though I am sending mine back for a refund as no wireless defeats the purpose of the device in the first place and they are talking weeks before the next release that might resolve it.

I would consider the Squeezebox good enough to, dare I say, get a new router. They're just so cheap now. It's unfortunate you happened to have one that didn't work though...

Klausbvga:
You should become an affiliate reseller! (see SD homepage)

funkstar
2006-01-30, 07:39
Klausbvga, you must have a huge epstream bandwidth to be able to cope with three SBs over the internet. What does sweeden have in the way of broadband?

klausbgva
2006-01-30, 15:14
I possibly could register as a reseller but I have already enough work with my job and hope to contribute more to the slim community in my area of expertise which is unfrotunatelly limited to SQL and documentation.

As for the bandwidth in Switzerland (not seweden) in chocolate country it is a nightmare.

I have a DSL connection 695/695 they are boosting the performance but not for this kind of line. The max uplink at reasonable price is right now limited to 800KB with cable.

I would love to get more but then it is way out of reasonable.Our local utility runs a fiber network and the the connection is at around 1500USD for 10MB up and down (with potential to go to 1GB).

Right now the web users are limited to 64 mp3 streams and they are only ocassionaly online at the same time.

funkstar
2006-01-31, 02:24
As for the bandwidth in Switzerland (not seweden) in chocolate country it is a nightmare.
Sorry about that, i misread :)

I have a DSL connection 695/695 they are boosting the performance but not for this kind of line. The max uplink at reasonable price is right now limited to 800KB with cable.
Thats not very good for download speeds, but very decent for uploads. In the UK we can get up to 8mbit downstream, although at the moment most providers only support up to 2mbit (all of this is usually metered and you have a monthly download allowance, unless you pay a premium for unmettered service). But we only have 256Kbit uploads. Even having two clients limited to 64kbit would be noticable on that, although i may try it someitme at my mums.