PDA

View Full Version : SB3 does not function

slimdemage
2006-01-28, 21:38
I am trying to use my new Squeezebox3, but it just crashes constantly. The display freezes, the remote fails to control the player, and it cannot play even one song without freezing or shutting down. Wireless strength remains at around 90% or slightly higher. I've tried various beta versions of the server software and firmware updates, now back to square 1. I carefully rebuild the database after changing versions. The nightly build did not seem to help. I have a Linksys WAP54G (v1.1) with the latest firmware. I've tried disabling Windows Firewall, MAC filtering, wireless security. I went and bought another wireless router, but after it failed I returned it. I would be willing to try anything because I want this product to work. Any help would be great.

snarlydwarf
2006-01-28, 21:53
Is this after the database has completed building? It's a pretty I/O intensive task and the server can be slow doing it depending on your hardware.

Since the SB doesn't really respond to remote requests by itself (it passes the button back to the server, then acts), it may just be a very slow database scan. (We'll have to figure out why yours is that demanding on your system if that's the problem, but if it's midscan, that may very well be it.)

What sort of server is it?

And while you're at it, for grins, try to plug it into an ethernet port for a bit and see if it's more responsive. It could be wireless interference as well, and may as well check a couple things at once. :)

If it's responsive on ethernet, but not wired, try changing the channel on your router which may move it out of the interference.

slimdemage
2006-01-28, 22:11
I wait until the database is done re-building before using the product. Via ethernet it seems to work fine. I have changed channels many times. The channel I am on now has the best signal strength so far. This is a WinXP Pro service pack 2 workstation. Current firmware is 28, current SlimServer build is 6.2.2, from nightly build. All the problems I am having would appear to be related to using it via wireless.

Gatchers
2006-01-29, 03:02
Try Firmware 29 in today's build. It has worked wonders for me, though your mileage may vary...

ajmitchell
2006-01-29, 03:28
also make sure all advanced Turbo/108 modes are disabled on your router (if it has any). You might also try stepping down to wireless B only in router set up.

Alex

slimdemage
2006-01-29, 10:38
I just ran the upgrade of the nightly build. Now my SB3 just keeps rebooting during setup. As I enter networking information the cursor freezes, then the screen goes blank, then the unit restarts. The SB3 is now totally unusable. What a weekend! I feel like a beta tester who paid money. I am still willing to pour hours of my time into making this product function, if anyone has more suggestions.