PDA

View Full Version : DAC and Audio

cyberhiker
2006-01-28, 14:42
Question about the analog / digital connections - where does the DAC fit? It it used for both the analogue and digital SPDIF connections or only one? My stereo only has two SPDIF connections and both are used - I'm trying to decide if I would get better usage by plugging the SB3 (which I'm about to order) into an existing analogue connection or give up one of the existing connections (one is used for DVD so I guess that's spoken for, the other is used for ReplyTV).

Thanks, David

Skunk
2006-01-28, 15:14
Most people suggest trial and error:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20463

The analog outs are compared favorably to high end equipment, by someone with nice equipment, here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=81714&postcount=35

So I would say a compromise between which sounds better in your system, and which is most convenient. Does your receiver have optical input?

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-28, 15:30
The Squeezebox digital connection does not use the
Squeezebox's DAC, it relies on an outboard DAC
(either separate or in your receiver). The
analogue and headphone outputs do use the
Squeezebox DAC.

The Squeezebox 2/3 has a fairly high-end DAC - at
least as good as one you'd find in just about any
receiver available. However some receivers handle
analogue worse than digital, so you may not be
hearing the DAC's full potential.

What I mean by this is that the Squeezebox's
analogue output to my receiver sounded worse than
the digital input, even though the Squeezebox's
DAC was at least as good as my receiver's DAC
(which is used when you use the digital output to
your receiver).

The difference wasn't that the Squeezebox's DAC
was worse than my receiver's, it's just that my
receiver didn't handle the analogue signal as well
as the digital signal.

In your case, you won't know unless you try. I
would not disconnect your DVD player or you'll
never get Dolby Digital or DTS playback again.
The ReplayTV is iffy. It probably will be higher
quality than an analogue connection, but if you
don't have any Dolby Digital channels it's just a
sound quality improvement.

You can get optical and coaxial switches, often
quite cheaply.

cyberhiker wrote:
> Question about the analog / digital connections -
where does the DAC
> fit? It it used for both the analogue and digital
SPDIF connections or
> only one? My stereo only has two SPDIF connections
and both are used -
> I'm trying to decide if I would get better usage by
plugging the SB3
> (which I'm about to order) into an existing analogue
connection or give
> up one of the existing connections (one is used for
DVD so I guess
> that's spoken for, the other is used for ReplyTV).
>
> Thanks, David
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

bsquare
2006-01-28, 15:39
Question about the analog / digital connections - where does the DAC fit? It it used for both the analogue and digital SPDIF connections or only one? My stereo only has two SPDIF connections and both are used - I'm trying to decide if I would get better usage by plugging the SB3 (which I'm about to order) into an existing analogue connection or give up one of the existing connections (one is used for DVD so I guess that's spoken for, the other is used for ReplyTV).

Thanks, David

I think expanding the DAC acronym might help answer the first part of your question (Skunk answered the second). DAC == Digital to Analog Converter. The digital outputs don't go through the internal DAC. In your setup, the DAC is in your stereo.

bb

Aztek
2006-02-27, 17:06
Hi,

I've flicked between using the digital optical output and the analog outputs. Digital sounds better through my particular amp but the time it takes to connect / disconnect the two sets of cables makes it hard for me to form a really hard and fast opinion. Is it possible to have both the digital and analog cables connected to SB3 at the same time and not cause any damage? Then I could flick between both on my amp while a particular track is playing and better detect the differences.

Cheers,
Mike

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-02, 16:16
Is it possible to have both the digital and analog cables connected to SB3 at the same time and not cause any damage? Then I could flick between both on my amp while a particular track is playing and better detect the differences.

Yes, that works fine. Both analog and digital outputs are active at all times and both can be used simultaneously.

emm
2006-03-02, 19:36
I have both RCA (analog) and digital coax outputs connected and the digital sounds far better on my system. Fuller mids and highs, better bass extension.
Yamaha RX-v995 receiver

emm