PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, A problem

WrightDawg
2006-01-27, 22:58
My slimserver software went "nuts" tonight and I have no clue why. I was missing a song from one of the albums (it vanished from the slimserver software not my hard drive) so I did a "clear everything and rescan" function and when it was finished all hell broke loose.

Now I have multiple listings for many albums, some albums have actually changed names- for example I now have 5 versions of "A Rush of Blood to the Head", as well as "A Rush of Blood to the Head (Volume 1). Previous to this I would have only had one name for the album, the album itself and not labeled Volume 1.

I have cleared and re-scanned several times and the problem still persists. This is all completely new and nothing has happened like this before.

Any ideas? I'm running version 6.2.1 and all my music is encoded in FLAC. The system and software have all run perfectly until now.

Thanks in advance.

nelamvr6
2006-01-27, 23:17
have you tried un-installing and then re-installing SS?

WrightDawg
2006-01-27, 23:31
I just did moments ago. I had tried doing another clear and rescan and this time it duplicated the problem, so instead of having 4 of the same album, I went up to 8 of the same album.

After installing the software and scanning my library I still have duplicates of albums. What is happening is that I will have multiples of the same album with the songs broken up over that number of albums. So if I have 4 of the same album listed I will have all songs for that album broken up over the 4 listings.

I have not made any changes to the tags, I've checked the tags and they are correct yet this still happened.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks.

snarlydwarf
2006-01-28, 00:19
If I remember right has happened before, the problem was resolved to a confused playlist.

snarlydwarf
2006-01-28, 00:23
yay! I'm not senile!

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19638

It's probably a bit trickier: Windows, for example, doesn't usually distinguish between "Directory" and "DiReCtOrY", and Z:\MUSIC and \\Server\Music may be the same but the server can't tell.

Check your playlists: have one with all of your tracks? (Use RandomPlay if you want to make a random playlist, faster than a real playlist anyway. :))

Dan Sully
2006-01-28, 00:40
* snarlydwarf shaped the electrons to say...

>yay! I'm not senile!
>
>http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19638
>
>It's probably a bit trickier: Windows, for example, doesn't usually
>distinguish between "Directory" and "DiReCtOrY", and Z:\MUSIC and
>\\Server\Music may be the same but the server can't tell.

So the server is able to normalize directory/file case names so that they are
the same. I'm surprised to see issues regarding this if it's just case
issues. On the other hand - the second example is a lot harder to normalize.

If someone has a reproducable case, I can try and take a look.

Thanks

-D
--
<dr.pie> 31336.5: the neighbor of the l33t

WrightDawg
2006-01-28, 10:04
Well, unfortunately for me if that's the problem it's not a fix for me. I don't have any playlists set up at all so that isn't my problem. I tried just about everything I could think of last night (uninstalling SS, clearing the folder to search for music, rebooting etc) and nothing so far has worked. I'm totally stumped.

MrC
2006-01-28, 10:10
Try manually stopping slimserver, and deleting the C:\Program Files\Slimserver\Server\Cache folder and then restarting slim. After the full scan is completed, see how things look.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-28, 10:22
The fact that it doesn't add *an* extra copy of everything but goes up geometrically (2,4,8) implies that it is reading it's own information again and doubling all of it each time.

So tell us what you do when you uninstall SS.

And after you've uninstalled, what is left?

It sounds like *something* is overliving the uninstall and creating a memory of all the other scans. Either the database itself (but that would more likely create the sequence 1,2,3,4) or a playlist that contains the entire database of music.

Are you using iTunes?

WrightDawg
2006-01-28, 10:29
Nope not using ITunes. This is totally out of left field as this just happened last night. Before then, everything was working as it should.

Again, it's not doubling the albums per se, what it's doing is listing the same album multiple times, but with only a few (1, 2, 3 etc) songs in each album. So for Dark Side of The Moon for instance, it may list the same album 3 times, but one of them will have "Money" in it, one will have "Time" etc. All of the songs will be listed in the various album listings.

I downloaded a trial version of Tag and Rename and checked the tags, and all are correct.

I ripped all of the files into FLAC using DB Power Amp and all CD's were ripped at the same time and have worked properly... until last night.

I also did a virus scan on my external drive that holds all my music and nothing came up.

One more thing, I'm also running a SB1 in my bedroom (the one in the living room is a SB3) and the SB1 has the same issue. I have no clue what the problem is but I figured it was a Slim Server issue since it all went haywire after a "Clear and Rescan" function.

I appreciate all your help.

MrC
2006-01-28, 10:39
Have you tried what I suggested, which is deleting the Cache folder?

WrightDawg
2006-01-28, 10:45
I have not. Can you tell me how to do that? That may be the one thing I haven't done :)

Michaelwagner
2006-01-28, 10:50
Try manually stopping slimserver, and deleting the C:\Program Files\Slimserver\Server\Cache folder and then restarting slim.
Instructions for deleting the cache were in his email.

Dan Sully
2006-01-28, 12:49
* Dan Sully shaped the electrons to say...

>>distinguish between "Directory" and "DiReCtOrY", and Z:\MUSIC and
>>\\Server\Music may be the same but the server can't tell.

I've just checked in some changes to the 6.5/trunk branch that allows us to
resolve \\server\Music to Z:\MUSIC

If you're having duplicates issues and have playlists - please give that a try.

It will be in the 2006-01-29 nightly, or svn up.

Thanks.

-D
--
<dr.pox> do they call it 'gq' because it makes your text fashionable?

WrightDawg
2006-01-28, 13:54
Unfortunately clearing the server cache did not help (I tried it twice just to be sure).

So perhaps downloading 6.5 is the way to go?

In addition, just to make triple sure it wasn't the tags I opened up yahoo music and Quintessential player and both are showing everything correctly, just one album with all songs in there. Making me believe this is somehow (no idea) a SS issue.

I appreciate all your suggestions so far, if anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks again.

Robin Bowes
2006-01-28, 20:11
WrightDawg said the following on 01/28/2006 05:29 PM:
> Nope not using ITunes. This is totally out of left field as this just
> happened last night. Before then, everything was working as it should.
>
>
> Again, it's not doubling the albums per se, what it's doing is listing
> the same album multiple times, but with only a few (1, 2, 3 etc) songs
> in each album. So for Dark Side of The Moon for instance, it may list
> the same album 3 times, but one of them will have "Money" in it, one
> will have "Time" etc. All of the songs will be listed in the various
> album listings.

I've seen this and in my case it was caused by "bad" cue files in the
album folder.

I now run the following script on my entire music library to hide all
cue files:

find "/path/to/library" \
\( -iname "*.cue" -o -iname "*.m3u" \) \
-exec chmod 000 \{\} \;

R.

WrightDawg
2006-01-29, 11:30
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me how/where to do this script? I'm not familiar with how to do that. In addition, would the script change depending on the file format? I have encoded to FLAC, does that change the script?

Thanks again.