PDA

View Full Version : Remote restart of Slimserver

mondelicious
2006-01-27, 12:26
Hello,

I have been using using SlimServer happily for quite some time now to listen to my collection while working onsite at client offices. Generally, things work great. I have an OS X desktop at home. It doesn't matter what I'm using in the field.

Occasionally, Slimserver will stop, and I lose access to my music. When I return home, I can see in the prefPane that SlimServer has stopped.

QUESTION: How can I remotely restart slimserver? I do have ssh access to my machine, so I can get in there and navigate package contents, and whatnot. I have not figured out the magical incantation to bring slimserver back from the dead, from a distance. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Ed

Michaelwagner
2006-01-27, 13:38
I'm guessing this is a Mac question?

On a windoz box, you make the service restart itself. I have no idea what the equivalent on a Mac would be.

mondelicious
2006-01-27, 14:16
This is a mac question.

To be clear, I am looking for a method to restart the slimserver process, not the server it's running on. The machine is running just fine, apache is not having any problems. It is just slimserver that dies. I would love to hear of alternatives to hitting the start button in the prefPane, ones that I could accomplish remotely via ssh.

kdf
2006-01-27, 14:31
Quoting mondelicious <mondelicious.22bb7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> This is a mac question.
>
> To be clear, I am looking for a method to restart the slimserver
> process, not the server it's running on. The machine is running just
> fine, apache is not having any problems. It is just slimserver that
> dies. I would love to hear of alternatives to hitting the start button
> in the prefPane, ones that I could accomplish remotely via ssh.

you could always run slimserver.pl from the prefPane contents manually.

It would also be useful to post a log of the crash, so that devs can
help by making it crash less :)

-kdf

mondelicious
2006-01-27, 15:03
Thanks, kdf.

that seems to get me off the ground. Ran slimserver.pl and was shown the following errors in the terminal window:

2006-01-27 13:57:34.3592 DBD::SQLite::db prepare_cached failed: no such column: albums.artwork_path(1) at dbdimp.c line 268 at /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DataModel.pm line 728.
2006-01-27 13:57:34.3602 Whoops! prepare_cached() or execute() failed on sql: [SELECT DISTINCT albums.id AS id,albums.title AS title,albums.titlesort AS titlesort,albums.contributor AS contributor,albums.compilation AS compilation,albums.year AS year,albums.artwork_path AS artwork_path,albums.disc AS disc,albums.discc AS discc,albums.musicmagic_mixable AS musicmagic_mixable FROM tracks, albums WHERE albums.id = tracks.album ORDER BY tracks.age desc, tracks.disc, tracks.tracknum, tracks.titlesort LIMIT 100] - [DBD::SQLite::db prepare_cached failed: no such column: albums.artwork_path(1) at dbdimp.c line 268 at /Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DataModel.pm line 728.
]
2006-01-27 13:57:34.3612 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DataModel::find (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/DataStores/DBI/DBIStore.pm line 307)
frame 1: Slim::DataStores::DBI::DBIStore::find (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/DataStores/Base.pm line 645)
frame 2: Slim::DataStores::Base::__ANON__ (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/Pages.pm line 1175)
frame 3: Slim::Web::Pages::browsedb (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 769)
frame 4: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 678)
frame 5: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 539)
frame 6: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 111)
frame 7: Slim::Networking::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 634)
frame 8: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 570)
frame 9: main::main (slimserver.pl line 1226)

file error - crumblist: not found

I am running 6.5b1, oh wait, i thought i was....guess not:
SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Mac OS X 10.4.4 (8G32) - EN - utf8

kdf
2006-01-27, 15:30
Quoting mondelicious <mondelicious.22bdao (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Thanks, kdf.
>
> that seems to get me off the ground. Ran slimserver.pl and was shown
> the following errors in the terminal window:
>
> 2006-01-27 13:57:34.3592 DBD::SQLite::db prepare_cached failed: no such

>
> I am running 6.5b1, oh wait, i thought i was....guess not:
> SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Mac OS X 10.4.4 (8G32) - EN - utf8

did you try 6.5b1 at some point and go back? The database isn't
designed to swap versions, so try erasing the slimserversql.db file and
starting the server again. You'll have to rescan, but that's the cost
of testing development versions :)

-k

mondelicious
2006-01-27, 15:53
I did try it out. I was actually writing some software to interact with slimserver and it worked better in 6.5.

I switched back to see if my app would work with 6.2.1 and I guess I never switched back.

When I get home tonight, I'll install another 6.5 nightly, and get on with it.

bottom line: When I'm not at home, I can navigate to slimserver.pl and run it manually. That is the answer I was looking for. Thanks again.