PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio - Air America?

BAFlib
2006-01-27, 11:30
Just got my new SB3 connected and playing music; such a cool product! Also have successfully installed AlienBBC in hopes of getting the Air America stream to play via SlimServer but all I get is dead air (other BBC streams work fine). I CAN tune in using my laptop and Real or Windows Media Player by going directly to Air America's website...How do I get that stream to play via SlimServer? Thanks.

malsbury
2006-01-27, 11:50
Just got my new SB3 connected and playing music; such a cool product! Also have successfully installed AlienBBC in hopes of getting the Air America stream to play via SlimServer but all I get is dead air (other BBC streams work fine). I CAN tune in using my laptop and Real or Windows Media Player by going directly to Air America's website...How do I get that stream to play via SlimServer? Thanks.

I get to it by going to the "Radio Tune In" section of the web UI and paste in the following URL:
http://play.rbn.com/?url=airam/airam/live/live.rm

You could then save it as a playlist for easy future access.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Tom Malsbury

malsbury
2006-01-27, 12:30
I get to it by going to the "Radio Tune In" section of the web UI and paste in the following URL:
http://play.rbn.com/?url=airam/airam/live/live.rm

You could then save it as a playlist for easy future access.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Tom MalsburySince you had me thinking about it, I created a playlist and gave it a title, so it doesn't just scroll the long RealAudio URL. I've attached it. You can just drop it in your playlist directory and have Slimserver rescan for new playlists only from the Server Settings section of the Web UI.

--Tom Malsbury

PS: I had to attach it as "air_america.m3u.txt" just rename it to "air_america.m3u"

EDIT: See 2/9/2006 Post for updated playlists in both Real Audio and Windows Media formatted streams.

BAFlib
2006-01-27, 22:08
Tom,

Thanks for the playlist - it works wonderfully. Can you teach this newbie how to fish? I did lots of searching (on SlimDevices' site and others) trying to figure out how to find that stream - where should I have started? What is "play.rbn.com" and why does it have the link to Air America's stream?

Thanks again!
-Barbara-

malsbury
2006-01-28, 13:34
Can you teach this newbie how to fish? I did lots of searching (on SlimDevices' site and others) trying to figure out how to find that stream - where should I have started? What is "play.rbn.com" and why does it have the link to Air America's stream?
I just used google and used the search term "air-america streaming url" and it was the first item. That gave the following link: http://play.rbn.com/?url=airam/airam/live/live.rm&proto=rtsp

So I tried that, and it didn't work. However, I have had some experience with getting RealAudio streams working from tinkering with the PublicRabioFan.com plugin, so I was pretty sure that it was close. So I just tried it without that &proto=rstp term and it worked fine.

As for "play.rbn.com", I guess that is the company that Air America uses to provide their streaming through. As you stated in your first post most people would just launch the stream from the Air America website and never see the URL, so they make no attempt to mask the URL through an Air America server.

Since you seem to be doing pretty good so far by getting the AlienBBC plugin working, you might like to try the PublicRadioFan.com plugin. You can get a copy of it an some instalation instructions at my website: http://www.malsbury.net/~slim/

I'm glad it is working for you, as you see you can do just about anything with this system. And if you can't there is always someone on the forums who can.

--Tom Malsbury

malsbury
2006-02-08, 22:20
I found out that Air America also streams in Windows Media format. I thought that might be better for some since WMA transcoding is more widely available in Slimserver then for Real Audio. I have made new playlists to cover both stream types.

I had to attach them as "PLAYLIST".m3u.txt, just rename the one you download to "PLAYLIST".m3u and have Slimserver rescan for playlists only.

--Tom Malsbury

RadioClash
2006-02-09, 08:13
Thank you Malsbury :)