PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q: Slim Server on an Infrant ReadyNAS X6

ShutterShock
2006-01-27, 11:25
Was hoping to get insights from anyone whos had experience running Slim Server on an Infrant ReadyNAS X6. Specifically,

-How would you characterize the performance?
-What functions/operations are slow?
-What Slim Server features are not supported when installed on the ReadyNAS Radiator O/S?
-Are there any issues with decoding FLAC or other lossless files?
-Is there commitment from both Slim Devices and Infrant to evolve this combination?
-Are there better NAS based solutions for Slim Server/Squeezebox?

Thanks! BTW, I've also posted these questions on the Infrant forum.

funkstar
2006-01-27, 12:10
I can't answer all of your question, but i'll answer what i can

I would imagine scanning of your library would be the biggest one. the performance can be increased by adding more memory, especially with modules that have low CAS values, MHz is not important apparently. More on this can probably be found on the infrant Forums.

-What Slim Server features are not supported when installed on the ReadyNAS Radiator O/S?
Plugins can only be added to the Infrant installation module, you can't add any yourself

FLAC: no problems as this isn't decoded by the X6 (assuming you are using an SB2 or 3), the data is sent directly to the SB to play. I don't know if WMA lossless is supported as i don't know what transoding is possible in the Infrant install.

-Is there commitment from both Slim Devices and Infrant to evolve this combination?
Only Infrant and Slimdevices can answer this i guess :)

Depends what you class as better. the Infrant solution is backed by the manufacturers which is a plus. But the X6 is quite expensive. Depends what is important to you. If you can expand on this we will try and give more advice :)

I hope this is of use to you.

bossanova808
2006-01-28, 00:04
Was hoping to get insights from anyone whos had experience running Slim Server on an Infrant ReadyNAS X6. Specifically,

-How would you characterize the performance?

Thanks! BTW, I've also posted these questions on the Infrant forum.

Re-scanning is definitely slow, but I set it to go overnight so I'm not at all fussed. Takes about 2 hours to do my 600+ CD collection, so not too bad really all things considered.

When browsing from a PC the web interface is very slow. So I use Moose, which works very well and speedily. Browsing fromt he squeezebox is all pretty fast - a second or twos lag when you open ap a long list (eg browse artists) but no major drama, is very useable (I previously had a dedicated server so I know how zippy it can be - this slight drop really isn't a problem so I'm very happy with the solution).

Transcoding is not supported, so if you're not using one of the native formats you are S-O-O-L. But I stick to FLAC and mp3 and all works perfectly - zero skips or problems with the audio.

Infrant seem very pro-active, promising to support all official releases as they come, usually a few days (< week) after they are released. No support for betas, and you have to request plugins, although I don't really use many so am not fussed.

Are there better solutions? Maybe - some NAS systems are cheaper, but the performance with eg. a Terastation is reportedly significantly lower. QNAP seem to be doing something but so far they seem flakey on delivery. The bare bones X6 is not cheap but neither is it unfairly pricey in all.

Overall, I'm very happy indeed with the combo, it really is very light on hassle an d big on performace.