PDA

View Full Version : Problems logging in possible solution

carram
2006-01-27, 11:24
I posted an e-mail in answer to Newb who was having the same problem as me trying to login.

Received an e-mail from Kevin at “squeezenetwork support” who said they had been having problems. Tried to login using Firefox but again without success. I then tried Explorer with same result.

Finally I tried Firefox in safemode and this time succeeded, tried it several times and worked each time but only with Firefox in safe mode. I hope this helps those of you like Newb, or others trying to login.

Ron

Newb
2006-01-27, 23:35
I posted an e-mail in answer to Newb who was having the same problem as me trying to login.

Finally I tried Firefox in safemode and this time succeeded, tried it several times and worked each time but only with Firefox in safe mode. I hope this helps those of you like Newb, or others trying to login.

Ron

Hey Ron, thanks for sharing that!!! I will try that out. Strange that this only happens on squeezenetwork and not any other websites... and support doesn't seem to have a clue what's wrong.

For a moment I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem. At least now I know it's a squeezenetwork problem and not me.

Newb
2006-01-28, 11:46
Hey Ron, thanks for sharing that!!! I will try that out. Strange that this only happens on squeezenetwork and not any other websites... and support doesn't seem to have a clue what's wrong.

For a moment I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem. At least now I know it's a squeezenetwork problem and not me.

Unfortunately for me, I've tried logging in using Firefox safe mode and still having problems logging in...

What a bummer... really regret buying my 2 squeezeboxes now... I had chosen them over another brand because of the promise of squeezenetwork...

To be fair to SlimDevices, the squeezebox works pretty well using SlimServer, -- BUT -- this login problem, plus all the other connection problems highlighted by others relating to squeezenetwork, are enough for me to tell everyone I know not to buy the squeezebox.

Dan Sully
2006-01-28, 12:02
* Newb shaped the electrons to say...

>What a bummer... really regret buying my 2 squeezeboxes now... I had
>chosen them over another brand because of the promise of
>squeezenetwork...
>
>To be fair to SlimDevices, the squeezebox works pretty well using
>SlimServer, -- BUT -- this login problem, plus all the other connection
>problems highlighted by others relating to squeezenetwork, are enough
>for me to tell everyone I know not to buy the squeezebox.

FYI - We just hired Andy to help out with SqueezeNetwork - and we're
improving the capacity as well. It will get better - just give us a bit.

Thanks.

-D
--
<dr.pox> does whistling in the dark make me go blind faster?

WladiSGE
2006-01-28, 14:14
Great, looking forward to it!

Sorry for my curiosity Dan but can you nearly approximate the dimensions of our waiting, days? weeks? or maybe months?

Thank you for your work, it was really time to improve sqn.

Dan Sully
2006-01-28, 14:40
* WladiSGE shaped the electrons to say...

>Great, looking forward to it!
>
>Sorry for my curiosity Dan but can you nearly approximate the
>dimensions of our waiting, days? weeks? or maybe months?
>
>Thank you for your work, it was really time to improve sqn.

I can't at the moment. We obviously want to take our time with QAing the new
software before it goes out. Though more like weeks than months.

-D
--
You have the puzzle pieces? Good, then turn off the damn walls.

carram
2006-01-29, 04:52
Sorry to hear safe mode hasn't helped Newb. I have been struggling with this problem for 2 weeks. Sent several e-mails to squeezenetwork support and to be fair they have been trying to help with my problem.

It does seem strange though that we are the only two people who seem to have this problem. I also tried logging in at work using Explorer and firefox with the same lack of success. Java, cookies all working but no login.

as a matter of interest I'm using Firefox 1.5 in case it makes a diffence.

Hopefully all will be fixed eventually hang in there.

Ron

seanadams
2006-01-30, 22:05
I've never had a problem loading http://www.squeezenetwork.com

What would be extremely helpful is a packet trace to figure out why the connection is failing.

If I walk you through it could you download and run Ethereal to get a trace for us?

Newb
2006-01-31, 09:07
I've never had a problem loading http://www.squeezenetwork.com

What would be extremely helpful is a packet trace to figure out why the connection is failing.

If I walk you through it could you download and run Ethereal to get a trace for us?

Yes I certainly could! Pls let me know what you need me to do.

carram
2006-02-01, 10:51
Same with me let me know what you want me to do.

Ron

seanadams
2006-02-01, 16:42
Yes I certainly could! Pls let me know what you need me to do.

OK step by step:

- Download and install Ethereal from http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/
- Quit any downloads, streaming etc in order to minimize network traffic
- Quit and then re-launch firefox and clear your cache
- Start Ethereal
- Choose "Capture" then "Start", and click "OK"
- Try connecting to http://www.squeezenetwork.com
- Wait until firefox times out
- Click "Stop" in ethereal
- Choose "File" then "Save"
- Name the file "squeenetwork.dump"
- email it to sean@slimdevices.com

Thanks!

Newb
2006-02-09, 01:52
OK step by step:

- Download and install Ethereal from http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/
- Quit any downloads, streaming etc in order to minimize network traffic
- Quit and then re-launch firefox and clear your cache
- Start Ethereal
- Choose "Capture" then "Start", and click "OK"
- Try connecting to http://www.squeezenetwork.com
- Wait until firefox times out
- Click "Stop" in ethereal
- Choose "File" then "Save"
- Name the file "squeenetwork.dump"
- email it to sean@slimdevices.com

Thanks!

OK... I've installed ethereal (this tool is great!), but just as I was about to do a trace as described above, I saw that the "remember me" checkbox had been added to the login page!

So I tried logging in with "remember me" turned on (without ethereal tracing), and voila! It works! On IE6 and firefox (normal mode), all ok!

THANKS GUYS, logging in to squeezenetwork now works for me! So I guess my problem is solved (albeit indirectly)... that certainly makes my day - another happy customer!

andyg
2006-02-09, 08:39
I'm glad to hear the login issues seem to be resolved. The default session expiration has been extended to 1 day if you don't use 'Remember me', and if you check the box you shouldn't have to login for 1 year. :)

Newb
2006-02-09, 11:01
I'm glad to hear the login issues seem to be resolved. The default session expiration has been extended to 1 day if you don't use 'Remember me', and if you check the box you shouldn't have to login for 1 year. :)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. Now that you mention this, I think I might have an idea what was wrong in the first place!

You see, my timezone is GMT+8. Perhaps your session expiration logic assumes everybody comes from the USA (or perhaps Europe). And since I'm logging in from Asia, my date is usually the next day compared to the USA date (abt 12-16hrs ahead of USA time)... hence the server always thinks I'm expired!?

This would explain why I had the same login problem on all 10+ PCs that I tried logging in from - because they're all in the same country and timezone! And perhaps there are very few people in this country/timezone that owns a squeezebox, that's why nobody else (besides carram) has reported this problem!

I believe that should be it, since I just tried logging in without checking the "remember me" box, and I'm logged in fine (with your expiry now set to 1 day)!

Perhaps you should check the session expiry logic - it should be comparing dates with timezone taken into account?

Anyway, thanks once again!

andyg
2006-02-09, 11:20
Newb wrote:
> You see, my timezone is GMT+8. Perhaps your session expiration logic
> assumes everybody comes from the USA (or perhaps Europe). And since I'm
> logging in from Asia, my date is usually the next day compared to the
> USA date (abt 12-16hrs ahead of USA time)... hence the server always
> thinks I'm expired!?

Can you check the expiration time on the sdi_squeezenetwork_session cookie after
you log in? It should be 1 day in the future. If it's many hours less, please
let me know.

Newb
2006-02-09, 23:58
Newb wrote:
> You see, my timezone is GMT+8. Perhaps your session expiration logic
> assumes everybody comes from the USA (or perhaps Europe). And since I'm
> logging in from Asia, my date is usually the next day compared to the
> USA date (abt 12-16hrs ahead of USA time)... hence the server always
> thinks I'm expired!?

Can you check the expiration time on the sdi_squeezenetwork_session cookie after
you log in? It should be 1 day in the future. If it's many hours less, please
let me know.

After loading the login page in my browser:
- My local time is 10 Feb 2006, 14:39.
- The sdi_squeezenetwork_session cookie now has expiry 11 Feb 2006, 14:42 (as shown in local time GMT+8 by Windows Explorer).

The cookie itself looks alright.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-10, 14:37
I also just noticed the "remember me" checkbox and I love automatic login, so I've been trying it out since it first appeared a few days ago.

Unfortunately automatic logging in is not working for me. My sdi_squeezenetwork_session cookie has an expiration date exactly one day from when I last logged in.

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP SP2. I have optimized the PC a bit for security, but the cookie is there and it's allowed, plus automatic logging in works at other websites.

Any ideas?

andyg
2006-02-10, 14:47
The 'remember' box sets a second cookie, sdi_squeezenetwork_remember. Check if you've got that.

When you say it 'doesn't work', do you mean you get logged out after 1 day of inactivity, or what?

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-10, 15:05
EDIT: I can see things are being rapidly fixed here. What didn't work this morning (automatic login) works perfectly now.

I made a mistake. My sdi_squeezenetwork_remember cookie has an expiration date exactly one year from when I last logged in. So it's set to expire February 10, 2007 8:18:46 AM, as expected. It's my session cookie that's about a day from now.

So it seems that this morning was the last time I had to log in. This wasn't the case yesterday, where I had to enter my e-mail address and password, even though I had before and checked the "remember me" box. That's what I meant by it not working.

Everything is working as expected now. Thanks Andy.

andyg
2006-02-10, 15:12
Session should always be 1 day from the last time you hit any page. Remember is 1 year from the last time you hit any page. With remember, you can test if it's working by deleting your session cookie (but leaving remember) and it shouldn't make you log in again. :)

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-10, 15:21
Session should always be 1 day from the last time you hit any page. Remember is 1 year from the last time you hit any page. With remember, you can test if it's working by deleting your session cookie (but leaving remember) and it shouldn't make you log in again. :)

Yup. The problem was the chair-keyboard interface at my end. ;-)

Since it asked me for my e-mail addy and password again this morning (after logging in a few days ago and selecting "remember me"), I thought it wasn't working. When I pasted the cookie expiration date directly into my second response, I realized "oh yeah, that's 200*7*. Exactly one year. Wonder if automatic login is working now? Oh, it is..."

ID10T error.

Now that I'm looking back on my first post, I realize I even got the two cookies mixed up. As you indicate, it's 'remember' that's one year from now and 'session' that's one day from now.

Sorry for troubling you with a problem regarding perhaps the most simple aspect of SqueezeNetwork that didn't even turn out to be a problem in the first place!

andyg
2006-02-10, 15:44
Well I'm glad all is well. I know this was a serious source of frustration previously so I want to make sure it's working properly now so we never have to hear about it again. :)