X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b_prem
    • Nov 2005

Playing WMA in native format.

Hello All,

I tried playing WMA in native format, in Squeeze-box 2.0. Whenever, I click play from the server, the "Play" option is not getting enabled. Also, the Squeezebox reports,

----------------------------------------------------------------
    PROBLEM: CAN'T OPEN FILE FOR:
    (The Song name)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone giving suggestions, on how to enable streaming work?
  • b_prem
    • Nov 2005

Hello All,

1. I tried playing WMA in native format, in Squeeze-box 2.2 and Slimserver 6.2.1. For this I chose, ServerSettings --> File Types -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media, Decoder=Windows Media; When, I clicked play from the slimserver, the "Play" option is not getting enabled. Also, the Squeezebox reports,

-----------------------------
    (The media name)

Can anyone giving suggestions, on how to enable this WMA streaming to work?

2. Also, files ending with .AAC extensions (ie., MEDIA.AAC) are not getting listed in the Slimserver. Doesn't Slimserver support streaming these files?

Comment

• b_prem
      • Nov 2005

WMA and AAC streaming

Hello All,

1. I tried playing WMA in native format, in Squeeze-box 2.2 and Slimserver 6.2.1. For this I chose, ServerSettings --> File Types -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media, Decoder=Windows Media; When, I clicked play from the slimserver, the "Play" option is not getting enabled. Also, the Squeezebox reports,

(The media name)

Can anyone giving suggestions, on how to enable this WMA streaming to work?

2. Also, files ending with .AAC extensions (ie., MEDIA.AAC) are not getting listed in the Slimserver. Doesn't Slimserver support streaming these files?

Comment

• ceejay
        • Apr 2005

Native WMA playing has only recently been added to the Squeezebox firmware, not sure if its made it into Softsqueeze yet (you mention version 2.2 which makes me think you mean Softsqueeze rather than Squeezebox).

Slimserver will play AAC files, though the extension is more usually M4A, I think - in any case you need to have Quicktime installed on your machine as this is used for the transcoding. Check that you have this...

Ceejay

Comment

• b_prem
          • Nov 2005

WMA and AAC streaming

Thanks Ceejay.

1. Apart from the using Softsqueeze 2.2, i have also used a client written by me, with which I read from the slimserver. When ever I clicked a WMA file, I get a stop slimproto command. Also when I read the HTTP stream, i get only zero bytes. Slimserver is not at all streaming this WMA file.

Have you tested this scenario.( ServerSettings --> File Types -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media, Decoder=Windows Media; )

2. Does it mean that, Slimserver does not stream in native AAC format?

Please give your suggestions.

Comment

• funkstar
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by b_prem
            2. Does it mean that, Slimserver does not stream in native AAC format?
            Correct. Only MP3, FLAC, WMA (lossy, not lossless) and Wav/PCM/AIFF are streamed directly to the SB

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
            In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Comment

• b_prem
              • Nov 2005

WMA and AAC streaming

Thanks Ceejay for the update on AAC.

Also, have you tried streaming WMA, with the settings which I have specified. Are you able to stream with those settings?

ServerSettings --> File Types -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media, Decoder=Windows Media.

Comment

• RalphO
                • Jan 2006

Protected WMA

I had a similar issue which turned out to be due to the WMA files being protected. I found that all files I loaded through Windows XP media center were protected but with Media player I could turn this off when I stored my Cd's to the PC. Also I had to delete any that I had already added and completely rescan. It appears that Slimserver remembers that the file is protected even if you changfe it.
                RalphO
                Transporter/Audio Research SP9/Bryston ST4/Magneplanar MG1.6QR

Comment

• b_prem
                  • Nov 2005

Thanks Ralpho,

Were you able to stream unprotected WMA files, with settings as below?

ServerSettings --> File Types -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media, Decoder=Windows Media.

Comment

• ceejay
                    • Apr 2005

b_prem,

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do here.

Is your problem with WMAs or AACs?

Can you play the files in Softsqueeze?

Are you trying to stream WMA files out as an WMA stream to your own client, or do you want it transcoded into MP3? Is your client emulating a Squeezebox, or are you just trying to send out a stream?

You might also want to try the latest 6.2.2 software, I think the native WMA capacity was added there (actually in the firmware for the Squeezebox hardware, but I guess the server side was updated to match).

A bit more on what you're really trying to do would help...

Ceejay

Comment

• b_prem
                      • Nov 2005

WMA and AAC streaming

Hello Ceejay,

The problem is streaming WMA files in native format. I donot want transcoding the WMA files into MP3 format.

I could not download Slimserver 6.2.2, because, when I tried downloading from this link, I get only 6.2.1 version for Windows. (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html)

I chose the following settings to stream WMA files in native format into the SoftSqueeze 2.2, from Slimserver 6.2.1.
                      For this, I chose the following settings: ServerSettings --> File Types -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media, Decoder=Windows Media.

Now, I tried playing the WMA file in the softsqueeze2.2, by clicking the Play option for the WMA file. Now, I get the following error message in the softsqueeze User Interface.

(The media name)

Comment

• KDF
                        NOT a Slim Devices Employee
                        • Apr 2005

Re: Playing WMA in native format.

b_prem wrote:
                        >
                        > I could not download Slimserver 6.2.2, because, when I tried
                        > downloading from this link, I get only 6.2.1 version for Windows.
                        > (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html)
                        >

look for the link mentioning the betas
                        > I chose the following settings to stream WMA files in native format
                        > into the SoftSqueeze 2.2, from Slimserver 6.2.1.
                        > For this, I chose the following settings: ServerSettings --> File Types
                        > -->FileFormat=Windows Media, StreamFormat =Windows Media,
                        > Decoder=Windows Media.
                        >
                        > Now, I tried playing the WMA file in the softsqueeze2.2, by clicking
                        > the Play option for the WMA file. Now, I get the following error
                        > message in the softsqueeze User Interface.
                        >

softsqueeze does not do native WMA. you should not have to choose any
                        formatting in the server settings->file types, since the players will
                        look for enabled options in order of their own preferences. If you have
                        disabled anything but WMA->WMA, then you will get that error becuase
                        there is no valid command for playing to softsqueeze.
                        -k

Comment

• b_prem
                          • Nov 2005

Streaming WMA file in native format.

Hi all,
                          I am trying to stream WMA files in native format. For this, I did the following steps
                          I added the following lines in the convert.conf

wma wma * *
                          -

I enabled the debug option. When I tried playing a WMA file, I get the following errors in the Slimserver debug log file.

1. 2006-02-06 15:02:49.6260 HTTP parameter p0 = playlist
                          2006-02-06 15:02:49.6262 HTTP parameter p1 = play
                          2006-02-06 15:02:49.6265 HTTP parameter p2 = C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Music\all-WMA\Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication.wma
                          2006-02-06 15:02:49.6267 HTTP parameter player = 11:b0:d0:d3:a4:cf
                          2006-02-06 15:02:49.6277 processURL Clients: 10.145.6.210:1034
                          2006-02-06 15:02:49.6674 ERROR: Couldn't open song.
                          2006-02-06 15:02:49.7212 ERROR: Couldn't gotoNext, stopping

Comment

Working...