PDA

View Full Version : Echo? Doppelgaenger

SoundBoy
2006-01-26, 19:52
Hi, quick question - I am running slimserver on my mac and use it to stream my radio station through a Linksys into my SB3. Sure enough I loose the connection every 5-10 min despite that router and SB are just 5 ft from each other and that my signal strengh is always higher then 70-80% but I am used to it by now..

I just made a strange observation using Airtraffic control to detect wireless networks, I see of course mine and a second one witht the same name, an un-named router (Linksys) and the same channel.. is that an echo or.. what?

Cheers and Thanks

mherger
2006-01-27, 00:33
> I just made a strange observation using Airtraffic control to detect
> wireless networks, I see of course mine and a second one witht the same
> name, an un-named router (Linksys) and the same channel.. is that an
> echo or.. what?

Rather you neighbour's network with the same default settings... change
your settings and you will see.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

jasenj1
2006-01-27, 11:20
Yes, I heartily recommend you go in and change the default settings on your router - especially if you're seeing another router.

The linksys config software can be a bit intimidating. But there are LOTS of things that can be configured, so go slow.

Change the frequency while you're in there so you don't clash (as much) with the other one.

- Jasen.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-27, 13:59
One little known (and little acknowledged) thing about the "channels" in 802.11:

They aren't separate.

We are used to channels, like TV channels, being separate and distinct. But in fact, the 802.11 channels are too close together to be distinct. If you put two access points in the same room, they have to be 5 or 6 channels apart before they stop interfering with each other.

Hence the usual statement that there are only 3 distinct channels in 802.11. 1, 6 and 12 (13 if you have it, depends what country you're in).

Now if the closest neighbour is 100 feet away, you can probably get away with him being less than 5 channels apart. But don't count on it.

There are utilities that will reprogram your wireless card into "promiscuous" mode, so it can listen to all your neighbours.

I live on the 18th floor of an apartment building, and I can "see" about a dozen WAPs from here. Most of them are down in the signal strength column, so they don't interfere all that much, but I did pick my channel carefully.

And still about once a day something starts up and bumps my wireless SB1 off the network.

MrC
2006-01-27, 14:18
Here's a good explanation of channel issues:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00802846a2.html