PDA

View Full Version : Saveral newb questions, mostly related to Nokia770

phicar2
2006-01-26, 07:02
OK, I have 2 squeezeboxes and a Nokia 770 which I am trying to use as the remote. I have several questions related to this and any help or point in the right direction would be great!

How do I name my squeezeboxes? Right now the drop down list has them “named” by IP address. I know I’ve seen screen shots where the drop down list shows “Living Room” “Media Room” etc. How do you do this?

How do I put a different picture on the Nokia770 for the web shortcut? I copied the picture of the squeezebox off the web site, resized it to 300x150 (which I think are the correct dimensions but let me know if I’m wrong). How do I get that image onto the 770 and then set as the picture for my web shortcut?

Is there any “bad” effect of having the squeezebox volume set to a high level all the time? Like around 30 or 35? The reason I ask is it is only one device I have plugged into my receiver and for whatever reason the volume when set at the default of 20 is low compared to everything else plugged into it. So I have to turn the receiver WAY up when listening to the squeezebox and then back down when listening to the TV, Tuner, CD player etc.

mherger
2006-01-26, 07:21
> How do I name my squeezeboxes? Right now the drop down list has them
> ?named? by IP address. I know I?ve seen screen shots where the drop
> down list shows ?Living Room? ?Media Room? etc. How do you do this?

Open the web interface, go to the player settings for your devices.

> Is there any ?bad? effect of having the squeezebox volume set to a high
> level all the time? Like around 30 or 35?

Mine is always set to the max.

I'm sorry I don't have answers to your N770 related questions - that
device is not available in Switzerland :-(

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

phicar2
2006-01-26, 09:52
Michael,
Thanks for the answers! Just so I'm clear, I use the web interface on the server to name the squeezeboxes? How does the server know how to keep them named if there IP addresses change? Does it record their MAC addresses and attach the names I set to that? Just wondering how it does it...

As for setting it to the max, I turned the Squeezebox way up (to 38 I think) and I thought that I started to hear some buzzing which I didn't think I heard when I kept the Squeezebox set at around 20 and turned my receiver volume way up (which I don't want to do for the reasons I listed above). I didn't know if turning the squeezebox volume way up might make it prone to buzzing or of others had this issue.

I'm sorry the 770 isn't available for you, it really is a nifty gadget and has exceeded my expectations as a full time squeezebox remote!

MrC
2006-01-26, 11:36
Michael,
Thanks for the answers! Just so I'm clear, I use the web interface on the server to name the squeezeboxes? How does the server know how to keep them named if there IP addresses change? Does it record their MAC addresses and attach the names I set to that? Just wondering how it does it...
Yes, the name is associated with the MAC addresss. Look at the slimserver.prefs file with a text editor and you can see the hierarchy.

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-14, 14:40
How do I put a different picture on the Nokia770 for the web shortcut? I copied the picture of the squeezebox off the web site, resized it to 300x150 (which I think are the correct dimensions but let me know if I’m wrong). How do I get that image onto the 770 and then set as the picture for my web shortcut?

i'm a year late joining the nokia 770 party, but this was the first thing i did
the image size is 250x100 pixels
copy to memory card
tap the arrow left of the home tab
choose applet settings
choose web shortcut
hit the image putton and browse to the image on your memory card
edit the web address to your slimserver
hit ok
i'm using http://www.slimdevices.com/images/sb3_hero_200.jpg
it fits nicely with the default theme on OS 2006

other tip, browse full screen and then
tap arrow next to Web - Home
tap view
tap show toolbar
untick Full Screen, thereby making sure you have no scroll bars and the full 800x480 and specific nokia 770 skin can be used to full potential

egd
2007-03-15, 15:20
I've followed a few 770 related threads with interest and am now considering getting a 770 or its successor as I find browsing via the sb3/remote combination fast but less than satisfying. For me, choosing an album to play is to some extent assisted by seeing the album cover etc. So a few questions I'd like to get some answers on to help me with the decision:

- I presume the 770 relies on wireless connectivity to connect to slimserver, meaning if I currently have a wired network I will need to add a WAP?
- I have an imate jasjam - presumably it could do the same job, albeit with a smaller screen etc? How much better is the 770 experience likely to be?

Thx

azinck3
2007-03-15, 15:45
- I presume the 770 relies on wireless connectivity to connect to slimserver, meaning if I currently have a wired network I will need to add a WAP?

Yes, the 770 connects via wireless so you'll need a wap (or a wireless card for your server so you can connect the 770 to via ad-hoc. But really, don't do that to yourself, buy a wap.)

- I have an imate jasjam - presumably it could do the same job, albeit with a smaller screen etc? How much better is the 770 experience likely to be?

Thx

Depends. Have you tried the Imate? I'm not familiar with it so you'll have to tell us in what way you find its performance insufficient.

Even with the ajax optimizations Ben Klaas has put into the nokia770 skin the 770 is still pretty slow, though the 800 is supposed to be notably better on this count. And sometimes the text is a little small so using the stylus can be a bit fiddly. Overall, my impression of the experience is that it's slow, clunky and awkward. You're not always sure if you've actually pressed a button or if the screen is finished drawing. But the screen is clear and bright and the device sure looks nice. I always tell people: if I'm in arms' length of the IR remote I'll grab it every time before reaching for the 770. But then, I've never been one who really cared all that much about seeing my album art.

(I should mention: while it's impractical for large collections the 1-by-1 album art browse that ben did for the 770 skin is quite nice and speedy)

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-15, 16:26

Nokia 770 is wireless b/g (ditto the N800, but I've not used it).

I tried Jasjam equivalent - Vodafone v1605 (another HTC Hermes/Tytn clone) as slimserver remote and sofar the nokia 770 is at least as responsive and visually alot more satisfying. Screen resolution more than four times bigger (800x480 beats 320x240). The extra resolution is the difference between using nokia770 skin and using handheld skin. The nokia770 skin really works very well. Screen is brighter and more colourful too. As impressive a phone as the Tytn model is, the Nokia works well as a dedicated internet table (which is what it is meant to be). The unit has a nice feel.

On the downside, neither of them is very responsive (large database of over 400 artists). There is a world of difference between browsing your ipod database and browsing your slimserver database via Jasjam/nokia770. I am not certain how to describe or make the analogy.

If I know what I am looking for - I will use the slim remote. If I am undecided and want to browse or look for artwork inspiration, I will use nokia 770.

More generally, I am using the 770 for newsfeeds, light browsing and not much else. Its nice for early am or late evening, where laptop seems so much more intrusive in the living room or bedroom.

If you like gadgets and have the cash, suggest picking up a 770 cheap from all those punters upgrading to n800. It will not be long before they drop below $200 on ebay. If you have other specific questions viz comparison of Jasjam and 770 let me know. I'll do my best to answer.