PDA

View Full Version : Play slimserver audio on a pocket PC

dais3
2006-01-25, 13:36
Seemed to me a cool way of having my mp3s available anywhere in the house - configure the PocketPC to be a player. Controlled by Tecanto or PPC web skin - but which player. I have tried using the PPC media player to connect to the stream, but couldn't get that to work, plus there are problems using MP anyway with the buffering. Another option could be Softsqeeze on the PPC. Anyone got any experience or suggestions???
Thanks
Dave

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-25, 15:45
I have an Axim X30, so I know a bit what you're trying
to do.

I find WMP for Windows Mobile VERY stripped down. Can
it even play streams? And yes, if it did, it would
have very little buffering ability.

Regarding running SoftSqueeze, I'm not 100% sure but I
don't think PocketIE supports Java. Java and
SoftSqueeze are very processor-intensive. Even if
there was Java support the device might not have the
horsepower.

So I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not
looking good...

Also, note that it may be handy as a portable player,
but its sound quality is pretty bad through the
headphone output - I won't even comment on the
dime-sized speaker!

--- dais3 <dais3.227k0z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:

>
> Seemed to me a cool way of having my mp3s available
> anywhere in the
> house - configure the PocketPC to be a player.
> Controlled by Tecanto or
> PPC web skin - but which player. I have tried using
> the PPC media player
> to connect to the stream, but couldn't get that to
> work, plus there are
> problems using MP anyway with the buffering. Another
> option could be
> Softsqeeze on the PPC. Anyone got any experience or
> suggestions???
> Thanks
> Dave
>
>
> --
> dais3
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dais3's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2229
> View this thread:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20412
>
>

davep
2006-01-25, 21:19
I know this won't be of direct help for those trying to get a working solution for the PPC but I can say that the concept is fine and can work well - albeit on the Palm platform. With a wireless Palm (TX) and the registered version of PTunes you can stream directly from SlimServer as mp3. Playlists are controlled via the Handheld skin.

I have the server bitrate limit the stream to 128 and play music from my all-flac library around the house. Sound on the Palm, via a decent pair of earbuds, is surprisingly good. I have not seen any issues with buffering. It also performs a useful role as a global "transistor radio" streaming internet radio station feeds.

At a pinch, with a small pair of battery powered PC speakers, it can even function as a temporary squeezebox substitute but I have found that the constant network traffic drains the Palm battery pretty quickly.

davep

malgre
2006-01-26, 00:55
GSPlayer (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/) should do what you want.

Malcolm

JohnQuirk
2006-01-26, 13:04
Indeed, GSPlayer works perfectly. I use this exact config on a Dell Axim X3i or X30, can't remember exactly what it's called. I have the PDA in my workshop for when I'm hammering and sawing, sounds fine through the small desktop speakers I use with it.

rtitmuss
2006-01-26, 13:53
I don't think you'll get Softsqueeze working on a pocket PC, even if Java is supported the javasound is probably not.

It should be possible to port squeezeslave a new C based squeezebox emulator. I'm not going to be doing this myself, but would happily support someone else if they wanted to have a go :)

Richard

Philip Meyer
2006-01-26, 16:29
>Indeed, GSPlayer works perfectly.
Not if you have SlimServer set up with a username/password. I haven't found any PocketPC media player that supports authentication.

Phil

dais3
2006-03-20, 13:07
GS Player works well thanks.
Java is available on the PPC - there's a few options, but I think you're right - by the time you have Java and Softsqueeze running, the PPC will die...

dais3
2006-03-20, 13:09
Incidentally, the sound quality on my Axim X50V is surprisingly good on headphones and almost impressive through a Cambridge audio amp and Maudant Short speakers...

RiccardoR
2006-03-22, 15:40
Thanks a lot for GSPlayer suggestion: it's work very very well on my HP iPaq 5550 (and Media Player don't). The sound is very clear with my iPod headphones, but...the battery go to zero in one hour!!!! (It is surely the WiFi connection).
RR