PDA

View Full Version : What is going on? i just feel like giving up now...

autopilot
2006-01-25, 07:56
Apart from not being able to connect to slimserver anymore (see thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20399), i now get this message when slimserver starts;

"Windows cannot find 'slimserver web interface.url'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button and then click search"

Then slimserver forces my modem to dial up.

Slimservers web interface then open's with out problems.

why is this happening now? I never had any problems like this before. Is there any chance this is related to my SB3 not finding slimserver.

BTW, i am not running a firewall. I have disabled Zone Alarm but this has not helped.

I just don't know where to start looking.

Skunk
2006-01-25, 08:19
Is there any chance this is related to my SB3 being completely retarded and not finding slimserver.

There is a 'slim' chance.

Have you uninsatlled-reinstalled Slim Server yet?

I assume you got a crossover cable since you know it's called adhoc...

Go to local area connection in control panel. right click>properties. Make sure you have NetBEUI or some other protocol as a placeholder. Select TCP/IP, click uninstall. It will prompt to restart. Do that, go back and click 'install' then select protocol, then TCP/IP and install. It won't hurt anything, but I guess I have no proof that it will help anything either...
It did work for me though, in wired non-adhoc mode

Skunk
2006-01-25, 08:23
I wouldn't trust zone alarm to turn itself off just because you ask nicely either :)

EDIT: sorry but I also just realized you were't using wired SB. I guess I thought adhoc meant wired.

autopilot
2006-01-25, 08:29
Even though my old SB3 had a faulty screen, i had it running fine i adhok mode (wireless). Nothing has really changed, it connect to the network card it just i wont find slimsever. I have re-installed slimserver 3 or 4 times now and have tried different versions (which all worked with the last SB3 i had).

Skunk
2006-01-25, 08:31
Well I do feel for you, because mine was replaced as well- and it worked the first time I switched, after choosing which slimserver to connect to etc.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-25, 15:00

Since Slimserver has no interest in operating dial-up modems itself, this sounds like something else is wrong with your networking setup.

Windows, depending on configuration, will attempt to dial out if it detects that you are not connected to the internet and need to be for a certain operation.

Do you have a cable modem or DSL connection to the internet?

Did it fail?

In your networking configuration, do you have the option set to dial out on demand when no internet connection is available? If you have a cable modem or DSL you should probably turn this option off.

This is probably 99+% unrelated to your other Slimserver problems.

Siduhe
2006-01-26, 04:55
I have disabled Zone Alarm but this has not helped.

It won't - as I discovered recently in a different context, Zone Alarm Pro is sneaky. Even if you disable it at start up / shut it down, it is still active in some way (a True Vector component which steaths ports and acts as a firewall) and prevents internet connections that it considers suspicious. There's a lot of stuff about this on the Zone Alarm forums.

The only solution is to uninstall / test / reinstall.

jasenj1
2006-01-26, 09:52

Slimservers web interface then open's with out problems.

This definitely sounds like a Windows networking issue. As someone else stated, Windows can be configured (and I believe configures itself by default) to dial up if it detects you are not connected to the Internet when you try to access a URL.

It sounds to me like SlimServer is trying to load the resources it needs - web pages, images, etc. - and Windows is interpretting that as an attempt to access the Internet, so Windows dials the modem.

There is a way to tell Windows not to dial-up if it detects you aren't connected to the Internet. I think it might even be filterable by IP address or subnet or somesuch, but I'm not sure.

- Jasen.