PDA

View Full Version : Qnap TS-101 Update

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ultra238a
2006-01-25, 02:49
Ok firstly my apologies for not posting any updates on here recently. We are still recovering from the Christmas period and there just doesn't seem enough hours in the day.

The current situation with the Qnap TS-101 is that the Qnap firmware is now finished and the product is ready to ship. The only problem we now have is that it is now the Chinese New Year so nothing is happening in China for the next two weeks.

This product was promised to be with us mid-October 2005 as a lot of you are aware. Qnap want to make sure that this product is the best it can be for the wider audience and this has caused the delay in us launching our version running Slim Server - regardless of if you want their features or not.

We are nearly there. It is looking like our shipment will now go out on the 15th February and we will ship a couple of days after they land with us.

Thank you for your patience.

Paul
Progressive Consumer Electronics Ltd

Fifer
2006-01-25, 04:30
Appreciate the update at last, but how sure can we be Paul? It was less than 24 hours ago that Gareth (from Progressive/Cooltopia) told me that delivery had been confirmed for 26th January!

ultra238a
2006-01-25, 08:49
You can be sure of this!

Gareth sits next to me and I initially told him the date as that is what it was going to be. Due to the holidays thought they wouldn't be able to get the product over to us in time.

The delays up to this point have been due to them finishing their product - it is now 100% complete. Just a shame they had to complete it just before the holidays over there. Such is life.

Paul

funkstar
2006-01-25, 09:48
Well if the initial reviews turn out ok, this may end up being an early birthday present to myself :)

pauldesmond
2006-03-06, 07:53
Threatening to be a saga of immense proportions, but I see advancedmp3players.co.uk are now slating Friday 10 March as a potential delivery date. Yawn.

After all the broken promises from Progressive and co, has anyone finally got their hands on one of these babies yet?

Cheers

Paul

Fifer
2006-03-06, 15:28
No. I received an email from Progressive promising deliveries would start on Tuesday of last week. Heard b****r all since. Still, it's only four months late ...

chrisla
2006-03-06, 16:14
Who can I buy Qnap's products from in the US?

Thanks,

-Chris

On 1/25/06, ultra238a <ultra238a.226ppb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Ok firstly my apologies for not posting any updates on here recently. We
> are still recovering from the Christmas period and there just doesn't
> seem enough hours in the day.
>
> The current situation with the Qnap TS-101 is that the Qnap firmware is
> now finished and the product is ready to ship. The only problem we now
> have is that it is now the Chinese New Year so nothing is happening in
> China for the next two weeks.
>
> This product was promised to be with us mid-October 2005 as a lot of
> you are aware. Qnap want to make sure that this product is the best it
> can be for the wider audience and this has caused the delay in us
> launching our version running Slim Server - regardless of if you want
> their features or not.
>
> We are nearly there. It is looking like our shipment will now go out on
> the 15th February and we will ship a couple of days after they land with
> us.
>
> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Paul
> Progressive Consumer Electronics Ltd
>
>
> --
> ultra238a
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ultra238a's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=626
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20393
>
>

ultra238a
2006-03-07, 10:50
Ok it is all my fault now. I didn't realise that HDD's would take so long to format!

Basically we are going to start shipping tomorrow. I am going to our warehouse in the morning to finish off the last remaining units of stock that need setting up to complete existing orders.

I will post links to pictures of actual stock being shipped tomorrow just to prove that they are actually going out to you guys.

Orders for 300Gb & 400Gb TS-101's will ship first followed by 500Gb, 160Gb & 200Gb orders. I hope to get them all out tomorrow though we won't have all of the tracking numbers till around 8:00pm GMT.

I will be posting pictures of the light at the end of the tunnel as soon as our carriers have left the building with the stock :)

Regards

Paul (I never want to format another HDD in my life again)

Fifer
2006-03-07, 11:49
Orders for 300Gb & 400Gb TS-101's will ship first followed by 500Gb, 160Gb & 200Gb orders.
I just knew that the 200GBs would be last ...

ultra238a
2006-03-07, 15:20
Fifer,

Don't worry they will be going out tomorrow even if it kills me!

Paul

Fifer
2006-03-07, 15:29
Appreciated and apologies for letting my frustration show.

pauldesmond
2006-03-08, 13:57
Although I cancelled my order out of frustration a fair old while ago now, I'd still be interested in the reviews... I will wait with anticipation for the feedback...

thanks

Paul

ultra238a
2006-03-09, 09:49
They have left the building!

Our next consignment will be with us next week. All we have left in stock at the moment is 160Gb versions. We will have more 500Gb versions middle of next week and we should be in free stock on all models within two weeks now all of the back orders have cleared.

Many thanks to all those who have ordered and waited patiently (and to though who haven't but who have hung on in there regardless).

I will be over in Germany from Saturday till the middle of next week at CeBIT but I should be picking up my emails. If anybody is having any issues or would like to ask any questions then please feel free to PM me.

I need sleep - good night.

Paul

happyfishman
2006-03-10, 06:46
I have just received my 300GB Qnap and will attempt to install some time this weekend (despite my squeezebox away for a swap-out, suffering from the dreaded display failure problem). A couple of quick questions - the quick start quide is not entirely clear. Apologies if these seem to be 'stupid' questions, but I'm not a computer professional...

1. During installation and prior to configuration you are told to connect directly to a computer or to a router. The router illustration appears to involve wired only connections. I will be connecting to a wireless router. I'm not sure that initial installation/configuration will be possible over a wireless network - or will the supplied installation disc sort this out?

2. A number of steps in the quick-start quide involve initialising and formatting of the hard disk. Given that Slimserver comes pre-installed, I'm guessing that the disk is ready to go, and I really DON'T want to initialise and format - or do I?

Sorry, again, if these are somewhat basic questions...

Graham

ultra238a
2006-03-10, 07:33
Sorry an amendment to the Qnap manual should have been sent out but was missed out of the initial shipment.

The Qnap TS-101 comes from Qnap without a drive installed. We have installed the drive and set everything up so you can just plug in and go.

You do not need to go through any initial setup procedure as everything has been done already for you.

You can plug your TS-101 in to any router or switch on your network as long as there is somthing on your network giving out IP address via DHCP (most routers are setup to do this). It doesn't matter if it is a wireless router or a wired router as wireless router have wired ethernet connection usually on the rear.

Please ask any questions on here.

Thanks

Paul

funkstar
2006-03-10, 09:08
Paul,

Any plans for a driveless option? I've decided to build a RAID desktop system for my music and other storage needs, but would be interested in a 101 for some of its non-Slimserver functions.

ultra238a
2006-03-10, 09:13
Hi Funkstar,

Yes a number of our resellers are going to be selling the driveless options soon. The RRP on this product will be £179.99 inc VAT

Regards

Paul
Progressive Consumer Electronics Ltd.

Paul,

Any plans for a driveless option? I've decided to build a RAID desktop system for my music and other storage needs, but would be interested in a 101 for some of its non-Slimserver functions.

Fifer
2006-03-10, 12:13
I've got it connected to my wireless router and can see the directories in "My Network Places" but whenever I try to navigate, it hangs the "My Network Places" window (program not responding). Any ideas?

astek
2006-03-11, 04:42
let me understand, the the slim server is already installed on the ts-101 system?or you need a plugging?
I get a look on the ts-101 manual (from here: http://www.ultimatestorage.co.uk/ts-101.html), but I can't find any information about.
I'm very interested on this solution, but what is about the performance? is usable? the scanning will slow down the server?

saluti
Stefano

funkstar
2006-03-11, 15:42
Yes, slimserver is already installed on the TS-101 (this is one of the reasons Paul has been busy formatting all the drives). It isn't in the standard manual because Slimserver isn't a standard feature, it has been added by Progressive Computing.

Scanning will slow down the server. It will slow down any server to some greater or lesser degree. Depending on how the TS-101 handles thread priorities the unit may become very sluggish or even un-responsive during scanning. Paul (or someone with a unit) will have to answer this properly though.

astek
2006-03-12, 02:19
ok, this means: to get the slim server in the ts-101 I have to purchase it from "Progressive Consumer Electronics Ltd" or I have to integrate it my self.

Then, where to purchase the ts-101 with integrated slim server?
or, where to get information how to install the slim server in ts-101?

regards
Stefano

funkstar
2006-03-12, 03:23
It must be possible to add Slimserver to the TS-101 yourself, as Multi Task Computing are selling the bare device without a hard drive. As for the details on how to do that... no idea :)

Fifer
2006-03-12, 06:14
Well, I've had my TS-101 for two days now so I thought I'd give an update on how I'm doing with it. In short, not very well so far.

Physically, it seems an attractive, robust, well engineered piece of kit. It's heavier than I expected but feels solid and looks pretty good.

I've had it hooked up via ethernet directly to my PC and by wireless network (wired connection to my wireless router/modem, communicating wirelessly to the PC). With both set-ups, I can see the directories on the Qnap HD, I can work with Slimserver via the web interface and my SB2 can see the TS-101 and recognises it as a Slimserver server.

The downside is that every attempt to copy my music library to the Qnap has failed after a few minutes with this error: " Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy [filename]. The specified network name is no longer available." This requires a reboot of PC and Qnap to recover networking ability at which point it can be seen that some files have transferred before the error.

I've tried to copy files by Ethernet and by wireless connection (even with the NIC disabled) which I think rules out a NIC problem on my PC. Just in case, I updated my NIC driver but that made no odds. I've also tried the following, again with no success:

Reinstalled TCP/IP.
Repaired winsock.
Switched off anti-virus software.
Updated NIC driver.
Repaired network connections.
Used different network cables.
Rebooted Qnap (several times).
Tried various networking settings in desperation.

Has anyone got a Qnap working properly yet? Has anyone seen similar problems to me? Has anyone any suggestions?

Trumper1
2006-03-12, 06:50
Got my TS-101 on Friday. Cannot get it working.

Connected through Devolo power plugs. The Squeezebox works really well when connected to the Slimserver on my PC. Copied all the files across to the TS-101. Rescanned them as instructed. The Squeezebox can see all the music(albums, artists, tracks etc) but hangs as soon as I try to play one. It then seems to lock up the TS-101 requiring a re-boot. Really not sure what I have done wrong or how to remedy.

Any help really appreciated.

Also my laptop cannot see the TS-101 through the QNAP installation utility but can see everything(files etc) through 'My Computer'. On an ethernet connection the utility can see the TS-101. Not sure what that is about either.

Fifer, did you get the extra e-mailed instructions? Did you map the network drive with the QNAP utility first?

Fifer
2006-03-12, 07:42
No, I didn't get any emailed instruction. I mapped the drives when I was connected by wireless, but not again since I connected by ethernet (different address). I'll try that, thanks.

Trumper1
2006-03-12, 08:32
Sorry this is so long. But this is the extra page that should have gone to everybody (as I understand it). Not sure if it will tell you anything new. I assume you remapped the drive with the QNAP utility rather than Windows? Although not sure that it makes any difference, I couldn't actually map mine through Windows at all.

www.multitask-computing.co.uk
Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer
READ ME FIRST!
Thank you for purchasing the Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer. We hope that this product will
enable you to enjoy your music to the full – without having to leave your computer switched on!
Introduction
The Qnap TS-101 comes pre-installed with the latest version of Slim Devices SlimServer already setup
and configured to run. When you first switch on the device, it will need time to boot up and start the
SlimServer software. Usually this takes around 3-5 minutes. When the Qnap TS-101 has finished its startup
sequence you will be able to go to http://slimserver-01:9000 and get access to the SlimServer web
based front-end. Here you will be able to configure SlimServer in the usual way.
The Music Folder
Within the Public share that has already been created on the Qnap TS-101 you will find two folders; the
music folder and the updates folder. The music folder is there to contain all of your music files. When you
tell SlimServer to rescan your music folder this is where it will look.
Using the included Qnap utility, assign a drive letter to the Public share. When you have done this,
navigate to the music folder in the Public share and drag your music files from your computer to here. We
recommend that you create ABC, DEF, GHI etc folders to make it easier for you to find your music when
you use the “Browse Music Folder” function built in to the Squeezebox menu. Regardless of how you put
your music files on the Qnap TS-101, SlimServer will be able to find your music files as long as they are
in the music folder on the Public share.
When you have copied over all of your music files to the Qnap TS-101, use your web browser to go to
http://slimserver-01:9000 to enter the SlimServer web based front-end. When you are on this page select
the “Server Settings” option and scroll down the page until you see the “Rescan Music Library” section
and click on the “Rescan” button. SlimServer will now scan your music directory for the first time and
build a database of all of your music files. When you run this function for the first time depending on how
many music files you have on the Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer it will take a long time. We
suggest that you run your first music folder scan over night.
Ever time you copy over new music files from your computer to the Qnap, you will need to rescan your
music collection. SlimServer can be set to scan the whole directory or just look for new music. Scanning
for new music of course is a lot quicker.
We do not recommend using any Squeezebox on your network whilst SlimServer is scanning your music
directory.
The Update Folder
Besides the music folder, within the Public share there is also the update folder. From time to time Slim
Devices will issue updates to the SlimServer software. You will be able to download these updates in a
special format for your Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer from
http://www.progressiveav.com/qnap. Once downloaded you simply place the file in the updates folder and
reboot your Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer. As the Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer
reboots the new version will automatically install and when the installation procedure has finished your
Qnap TS-101 will be updated to the latest version of SlimServer.
DO NOT download the standard Linux version of SlimServer from the Slim Devices website as this
file will not work with the Qnap TS-101.
Highfield
Udimore Road
Broad Oak Brede
East Sussex
TN31 6BU
Tel: 0871 250 5619
eFAX: 0870 458 1835
AlienBBC
Included with your Qnap TS-101 is the AlienBBC plug-in for SlimServer.
The AlienBBC plug-in allows you to listen to BBC radio stations and programs that are available from the
BBC website. Everything is already setup for you, so you can just select the BBC programs that you want
to listen to by selecting them from the Internet Radio section on your Squeezebox.
Whilst the included implementation of AlienBBC works well, we recommend that only one Squeezebox
on your network at a time uses the AlienBBC plug-in to listen to the BBC programs that are available. The
reason for this is whilst the Qnap TS-101 is quite a powerful computer, the AlienBBC plug-in takes a lot of
processing power to operate and will degrade the performance of SlimServer. Listening using to more than
one BBC stream using AlienBBC will have a negative effect on other Squeezeboxes on the network that
are attached to SlimServer running on the Qnap TS-101.
Questions and Answers
• Q. Are there any limitations when using the Qnap TS-101 compared to running SlimServer on my
computer?
A. Generally no. You have a full and complete version of SlimServer running on your Qnap TS-101
with embedded SlimServer. We have tested this device with over 10,000 music files on the hard disc
and we have had over 6 Squeezeboxes of varying versions either playing different music files or all
synchronised together playing the same music file without any adverse effects to the general user
experience.
• Q. Can I install other plug-ins that are available for SlimServer?
A. No. Any plug-ins that are available for SlimServer must be in a version that is compatible with the
Qnap TS-101. If you have any plug-ins that you would like to see available for the Qnap TS-101, then
please email qnaprequests@progressiveav.com and we will endeavour to make the plug-in available
as soon as possible. When available, you will simply drop the plug-in into the updates folder in the
Public share and reboot.
• Q. The Qnap TS-101 runs a version of Linux, is it available for us to run other applications on?
A. No. We have worked with Qnap to get SlimServer running on the Qnap TS-101 and they have
decided that they want the Qnap TS-101 to be a closed system.
• Q. I have deleted the music and update folders in my Public share – what should I do?
A. Simply re-create the folders using your computer. Make sure that the folder names are created in
lower case as the Qnap TS-101 runs Linux and is case sensitive.
• Q. How long will SlimServer updates take to become available once Slim Devices issues an update?
A. We will endeavour to get new SlimServer updates made available for the Qnap TS-101 within 1
week of release by Slim Devices. We need time to test and make sure everything is working well
before we release an update.
• Q. How long will you support updates to SlimServer on my Qnap TS-101?
A. We will keep issuing updates to SlimServer for as long as the Qnap TS-101 hardware can run the
SlimServer software without affecting the overall user experience.
• Q. What happens if my hard disc crashes and my Qnap TS-101 won’t restart?
A.You will need to return your Qnap TS-101 to us for re-configuration. If your unit is still within
warranty then we will re-configure your unit and return it to you free of charge.
NOTE: We will endeavour to retain data stored on your unit but this will not always be possible.
If you have any further questions, queries or suggestions please email them to
qnapinfo@progressiveav.com or contact support on 0871 871 9747

Fifer
2006-03-12, 08:54
Thanks for that. I'm just about to remap the drive (I had to clear 6 inches of snow from the drive first ;)).

Fifer
2006-03-12, 09:22
I mapped the drive. I started the copy. It crashed after 3 minutes. :(

happyfishman
2006-03-12, 11:46
I seem to have the same problem as everyone else! Mapped the drive ok, but after copying a few of my music files across the whole thing locks up with the " Error copying file or "folder. Cannot copy [filename]" message. Any explorer window that formally had the Qnap folder/mapped drives in them are shown as "not responding" and after while get a message to the effect of "drive not found". The HDD light on the Qnap is continuously on and the device cannot be switched off with the power button. The only way out is to pull the power socket out and reboot everything.

At this point I guess there is no point in continuing, since it could take weeks to transfer my 120GB of music at this rate.

I can't comment on whether it works with the squeezebox because the display failed and I presume (hope) a replacement is on it's way.

I'm guessing that there is a serious problem here and there probably isn't anyone who has one working correctly yet. Please tell me I'm wrong...

This clearly isn't my month...

Fifer
2006-03-12, 11:53
happyfishman, you have described my experience exactly.

happyfishman
2006-03-12, 12:04
Yup, i'm pretty sure it's not a problem or fault with my home set-up. I have been running my squeezebox very successfully from a Western Digital NAS drive for a while now. Just wanted to get away from the Slimserver-through-laptop configuration.

So what happens now? Do they need to go back...?

Heuer
2006-03-12, 12:14
Mine has not arrived yet but I was planning on copying the music files across using USB and then running the SB3 off it as designed. Anyone tried this - at least it would get you started?

happyfishman
2006-03-12, 12:26
I haven't tried that - bought it exactly because it says on the tin that it's supposed to be a 'network attached' server...

Heuer
2006-03-12, 12:38
Agreed but as you have identified a problem (which hopefully will be solved) how about seeing if the thing works in other areas. With the music on-board there may still be issues!

happyfishman
2006-03-12, 12:45
True... I perhaps should have said that my file transfer failure is from one NAS drive to another, but both are wired directly into the router (i.e. this is not a wireless transfer) - not sure if that holds any significance. At the other end, as I said, I'm not in a position to say how well the squeezebox works with it, although a previous post suggest there might be some problems there too...

Fifer
2006-03-12, 12:53
True... I perhaps should have said that my file transfer failure is from one NAS drive to another, but both are wired directly into the router (i.e. this is not a wireless transfer) - not sure if that holds any significance.
Probably not as I've tried PC to TS-101 by direct wired ethernet and wirelessly to my wireless router/modem with the Qnap connected to the router by ethernet with exactly the same failure mode both times. I was going to try USB transfer, but I appear to to have a single USB-A to USB-A lead. I think there's maybe one in the garage though, I'll have a wee look ...

Trumper1
2006-03-12, 15:25
I can get my set up working if I disable the router's firewall which I clearly do not want to do. I do not know how to set up the port forwarding to allow it to work which I now think is the problem. If anybody can help with this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Fifer
2006-03-12, 15:35
That's possibly a significant step forward. I'd convinced myself it couldn't be the firewall as it didn't fail immediately, copying fine for up to five minutes. It will be good if it is something as basic as port forwarding needing to be set.

happyfishman
2006-03-12, 15:37
Had one last go at drag and drop file transfer (4th time lucky?)... Lock-up after 30 minutes (3GB - only halfway though the A's). Got this pop-up message: "An error occurred while reconnecting T: to \\SlimServer-01\Qdownload. Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."

Same outcome - HDD light continuously on and had to pull the power and reboot. I have mapped a drive letter to each of the pre-created Qnap folders and was copying to the "Public\Music" drive\folder, but for some reason it seems that an error with an, as yet, entirely unused folder\drive caused it to fail.

No idea what's going on, but I'm obviously not going to be able to copy all of my music to the appropriate Qnap folder via my network as it stands...

happyfishman
2006-03-12, 16:04
Almost missed this... had a simultaneous pop-up error message with the previously mentioned: "cannot copy [filename]: The path is too deep". Heavy man....

NWP
2006-03-13, 00:24
These guys sound like they have good intentions. Hopefully they work out the bugs and are able to deliver a working product sometime in the future.

Trumper1
2006-03-13, 01:31
It is worth saying that I had absolutely no trouble with the copying stage, just short of 100gb all in one go. Took a long time though. Mine is a 400gb unit. All done over ethernet via my Devolo plugs. perhaps there are some issues with the 300 & 500 being very sensitive to particular hard drives??

Fifer
2006-03-13, 01:58
Mine is a 200GB. Trumper, did you have a hardware or software firewall enabled when copying? If so, do you have any ports forwarded?

Trumper1
2006-03-13, 02:16
I made no adjustments to my system before the copying ie no port forwarding added and firewalls left on. ZA Pro on donor machine and the Linksys router firewall also on.

I think I may be being a bit thick here but I still don't understand why my Squeezebox can see all my files on the TS-101 but the server is not actually streaming them. The slimserver says its to do with not blocking port 9000 but I don't see why port forwarding needs to be set up when all this stuff is inside the network behind the router.

Harani
2006-03-13, 03:19
Then, where to purchase the ts-101 with integrated slim server?

www.advancedmp3players.co.uk are also selling the qnap with integrated slimserver. Though thier shipping is delayed to due to installing and configuring slimserver.
I'm hoping to take delivery of a 200gb TS-101 from them sometime this week.

happyfishman
2006-03-13, 04:06
Just for info... I telephoned mutitask computing this morning and it seems they've had a fair few calls from people with problems similar to the above. They're working to establish the cause(s) and how it can be fixed. I think they will send out an update email when there's some news.

Fifer
2006-03-13, 04:26
Can someone please post here if an update email is sent out? Given that I didn't get the original email, I'd hate to miss any update too.

Stuart Cooper
2006-03-13, 04:48
Hi all,

There does seem to be a common problem writing files to the Qnap, that
doesn't seem to have affected the 400Gb units so far. Reading doesn't appear
to be a problem however.

I have now spoken to Paul at Progressive who is currently at Cebit. He will
be returning tomorrow late afternoon and will contact everyone as soon as
possible after that to discuss the way forward. He is also liaising with
Qnap as to the best way to resolve this unfortunate issue quickly.

We would both just like to reassure everyone that this will be addressed as
a matter of urgency and resolved before any further devices are shipped. If
you have details of your problem, please inform Paul directly at
paul.hanley (AT) progressiveav (DOT) com

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of happyfishman
Sent: 13 March 2006 11:06
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Re: Qnap TS-101 Update

Just for info... I telephoned mutitask computing this morning and it seems
they've had a fair few calls from people with problems similar to the above.
They're working to establish the cause(s) and how it can be fixed. I think
they will send out an update email when there's some news.

--
happyfishman
------------------------------------------------------------------------
happyfishman's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2601
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20393

Trumper1
2006-03-14, 11:21
OK, one more day on but still no music.

To recap. I have easily transferred 100gb of music onto my TS101-400. I can see the files. WM Player on my PC can see and play all the files.

The Squeezebox can see all the files, artists, tracknames etc but will not receive any actual stream. It goes through each track for the tracktime and then moves onto the next one. The Squeezebox functions perfectly with the same files located on my PC. The server status says no stream is connected.

I thought this was a firewall issue so spent a day trying to make sure port 9000 went through the firewall but this had no impact.

Today, I picked up a crossover cable, set static IP's and connected the Squeezebox directly to the TS-101 to eliminate the network and firewall.

But, still no change. The SB can see the files, tracknames etc etc but no stream is sent.

Thoughts:

1) Does the Slimserver on the TS101 support WM lossless? Certainly the one on my PC does.

2) Has the process of copying them altered the files in some way.

3) Is then TS101 rescan working properly.

Any help or thoughts really appreciated, I think I am starting to go slightly mad.

Mike.

Fifer
2006-03-14, 11:42
Trumper, you are one of the 'lucky' ones with a 400GB. Most of us haven't even got as far as you yet. ;)

Could you copy over some mp3 or FLAC files and see if they play (just to eliminate the WM lossless theory)?

Richie
2006-03-14, 11:48
> 1) Does the Slimserver on the TS101 support WM lossless? Certainly the
> one on my PC does.

I'm not entirely sure about this but I'm sure someone will
confirm/deny it. If slimserver is run on a windows PC then it can
decode WMA lossless on the PC and stream in wav/flac/mp3 to the
Squeexebox. However, on a linux PC (or NAS) the WMA lossless cannot be
decoded. The Squeezebox itself can decode lossy WMA but not the
lossless variant.

This might be why it appears to play but no stream is sent.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Trumper1
2006-03-14, 14:13
Thanks Fifer & Richie.

Copied an MP3 over and its works perfectly. HOORAY it works.

BUT, I have 100gb of WMA Lossless files which I really can't face re-ripping. I guess there must be an easy solution to this? Some sort of conversion program? I really want them in high quality and not in 'only' 320 MP3.

Again, any help appreciated.
Thanks

Heuer
2006-03-14, 14:29
Eek! Does this mean Apple Lossless will not work either?

I know most of you guys swear by FLAC but there are those amongst us who have iPods and need the crossover capability.

Fifer
2006-03-14, 15:08
Trumper, I've never worked with WMA lossless, but given that it's lossless, there must be something that will batch convert them all to FLAC. I use Easy CD-DA Converter (http://www.poikosoft.com/) for all my ripping and format conversion.

BillC
2006-03-14, 15:17
dBPowerAmp

www.dbpoweramp.com

can convert WMA to FLAC (or other lossless Codec).

>
>BUT, I have 100gb of WMA Lossless files which I really can't face
>re-ripping. I guess there must be an easy solution to this? Some sort
>of conversion program? I really want them in high quality and not in
>'only' 320 MP3.

Trumper1
2006-03-14, 15:25
The Slimserver on the TS-101 does list Apple lossless as a compatible format which suggests it should be ok but then again it also lists Windows Media which as in prior post will not run.

shawkie
2006-03-15, 02:12
I've got a 300GB TS-101 and am having the problem people have been reporting where you can't copy my music to it. It stops after a few hundred MB. The device seems to crash completely with neither the shares nor the web interface being available.

But also, before it crashes it seems to be very slow. I'm seeing about 6Mbytes/sec for both reading and writing. This is over a gigabit wired connection. Is this normal? Is the embedded processor simply not up to the job? Is there any way of monitoring CPU usage?

happyfishman
2006-03-15, 02:36
Thought I'd throw something else into the mix...

My Qnap won't enter standby mode. I have it set for standby after 30 minutes (the default in the supplied configuration utility) but after four hours of inactivity it's humming away and getting quite hot (probably normal for this type of device). Has anyone got theirs to go into standby?

Fifer
2006-03-15, 08:33
Bump. Any clues from Qnap yet?

ultra238a
2006-03-15, 10:33
Ok I am back in the UK.

I have been with Qnap over at CeBIT over the last couple of days and I am waiting for an answer from their technical team.

Currently as it stands at the moment it seems like all of the problems are being caused by incompatibilities between the HDD we have fitted and TS-101. Neither are faulty.

I will make an announcement either tonight or tomorrow with regards to what we are going to do to fix the problem. We are hoping that a simple firmware fix will cure the problem but we may need to swap out the HDD's we have installed.

Either way we will be controlling it from Progressive rather than directly through your reseller.

I can only apologise for the fact that this has happened but please be assured that we will be fixing the issue one way or another as soon as possible.

Regards

Paul

400Gb drives work fine in the TS-101

Fifer
2006-03-15, 11:20
Thanks for the update Paul. I do feel for you. The relief after shipping at long last can't have lasted for long. Fingers crossed for a firmware solution (which presumably we can download and install without returning the boxes?)

ultra238a
2006-03-15, 12:12
Thanks Fifer but I think it might not happen like that.

Keep an eye on this thread for more news either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Paul

Trumper1
2006-03-15, 15:18
Thanks BillC for the info on DB Poweramp music converter. It really is a nice program to use. I converted one album although it took 22 mins on my laptop. Need to use my much more powerful desktop otherwise it is going to take several weeks to convert all the files. Certainly much slower than ripping although saves all the hassle of keep swapping the CD's.

An update: Still cannot get WMA Lossless to work. I have sent a file to Paul to see if he has the same issue. Interestingly, on the DB Poweramp website it says that WMA Lossless will NOT work on portable players. Does the Squeezebox count as a portable player?? But if this is the case why does it work when pulling the files straight from my PC and not when from the Qnap.

Anyway, converted one album from WMA Lossless to FLAC and it works just fine. Sounds really very good.

Overall, this setup is very good. The Squeezebox is really superb. This is only the second product that the Wife has really taken to (Sky+ the other) both because they are so simple to use and you don't therefore have to be a gadget nutter (like me) to use them.

Despite the teething problems the Qnap seems to work really well, I have been waiting for this sort of product for some time and this one certainly does what it says on the tin.

One final thing. In line with an earlier comment in this thread it never goes into standby. Even when its the only thing on the network the LAN light keeps flickering indicating some activity. Perhaps this is what keeps it on although not sure what the data moving actually is.

funkstar
2006-03-15, 15:40
WMA Lossless needs to be decoded by the server before being sent to the SB, only regular lossy WMA is handled natively by the SB.

ultra238a
2006-03-15, 15:52
Re: WMA Lossless

I have tested the file and it doesn't play. I'll check with SD to see what is needed and if we can get it working we'll issue an update so they will play.

Paul

Sanctum
2006-03-16, 03:48
One final thing. In line with an earlier comment in this thread it never goes into standby. Even when its the only thing on the network the LAN light keeps flickering indicating some activity. Perhaps this is what keeps it on although not sure what the data moving actually is.

How do you know whether or not it has gone into standby? I probably missed it when I read the manual, but my TS-101 (300Gb) stays hot 24/7, I would have thought that if it went into standby overnight it should be stone cold in the morning. So maybe mine isn't going into standby either (currently set to 30mins of no disk access)

To back up everyone elses statements, my 300Gb also crashes during file uploads at seemingly random intervals. But it also crashes when first accessed after a long period of inactivity. Twice, after being unused overnight, the box has crashed when first accessed, the crash has identical symptoms to what occurs when uploading files. HDD light stuck on, no response to power or reset buttons.

I hope this information helps.

which presumably we can download and install without returning the boxes?

I think it might not happen like that
Oh dear, that would be very inconvenient for all concerned.

Good luck getting a fix sorted Paul, thanks for taking the time to read and post on these forums.

happyfishman
2006-03-16, 05:28
I have a Western Digital 300 GB NAS drive with connected Maxtor external 160 GB drive running alongside the Qnap on the same network. All are set to go into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity. All of them are fairly warm to the touch when running and make a humming or whispering sound (no fan, but something's moving). After the alloted 30 minutes the Maxtor and the WD NAS go silent and cool down. If I open files on either of the drives on standby (or start my Squeezebox - running off the WD NAS) they wake up (there may be a very short, but perceptible delay). The Qnap, on the other hand, just continues humming and and getting hot, clearly unable to go into standby...

I understand that it's better for the life of these drives to leave them on all the time, rather than regularly booting from cold, which is why I'm keen to make sure the standby function is activated and working.

Fifer
2006-03-16, 06:05
The something humming and whispering is likely to be the Hard Drive I'd have thought. Does Slimserver poll the Squeezebox peiodically? If so, the LAN traffic caused by that is possibly preventing the Qnap from going into standby?

Sanctum
2006-03-16, 06:33
Does Slimserver poll the Squeezebox peiodically? If so, the LAN traffic caused by that is possibly preventing the Qnap from going into standby?
That's certainly not the cause, because I don't have a squeezebox, or any music streamer yet.
But the LAN light does flash every few seconds as Trumper1 reported.
I can only think that the slimserver is chatting to the router/modem/WAP which is keeping everything powered up, but that's just a badly educated guess as they are the only two active items on the network.

happyfishman
2006-03-16, 06:57
The something humming and whispering is likely to be the Hard Drive I'd have thought. Does Slimserver poll the Squeezebox peiodically? If so, the LAN traffic caused by that is possibly preventing the Qnap from going into standby?

Actually, that sounds sensible... When I have slimserver active on the computer screen, it's constantly chattering away (updating?), even when the Squeezebox is switched off. I guess it may be doing the same thing when sitting on the Qnap. Come to think of it, I've never seen my laptop go to sleep since I installed Slimserver...

Sanctum
2006-03-16, 09:05
Playing with slimserver at work I notice that there is a setting in the slimserver interface options menu to control the "browser refresh interval".
Pushing this out to a stupidly high number might stop the slimserver constantly re-writing it's html page to the hard drive and allow the TS-101 to go into standby.
I'll play when I get home, unless someone reads this and beats me to it :)

happyfishman
2006-03-17, 02:35
Playing with slimserver at work I notice that there is a setting in the slimserver interface options menu to control the "browser refresh interval".
Pushing this out to a stupidly high number might stop the slimserver constantly re-writing it's html page to the hard drive and allow the TS-101 to go into standby.
I'll play when I get home, unless someone reads this and beats me to it :)

So what happened?

ultra238a
2006-03-17, 04:43
I have been in contact with Qnap since last Saturday to try and get the easiest resolution to this problem.

They are sending over today a firmware update for testing with the drives we have used. Once I have tested it and made sure it is ok I will be making it available to our customers.

The firmware update will fix the following:

1. Improve network file transfer performance
2. Fix HD compatible issue
3. Fix multimedia performance issue
4. Fix some torrent files that can't be used in TS-101

Hopefully we are nearly there.

Regards

Paul

Fifer
2006-03-17, 05:11
Good news Paul. Does this mean we will not have to return units to you?

I'm happy to be a guinea pig if you need any 'beta' testers for the fix.

ultra238a
2006-03-17, 06:14
Ok currently I am very happy.

500Gb drives now work fine.
200Gb drives seems to be good now too.
300Gb drives now tested and seem to be working fine.

Paul

Sanctum
2006-03-18, 00:41
So what happened?
Nothing, still stays active, still experimenting with other settings, will let you know if I get any success.
Has anyone else has had any success getting the TS-101 to go into stand-by?
I would have thought that it was vital to the longevity of the unit, can't do the chippery any good to run that hot 24/7, is there any official line on this from Progressive?

Thanks for the info on the compatibility fix Paul, how long do you think before the download is available?

ultra238a
2006-03-18, 02:25
Ok the firmware update has been tested and seems to be good to go so anybody with a TS-101 can go to http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ and download the firmware update file.

The only drive I haven't tested it on yet is the 160Gb version that we supplied but as we haven't sold many of these compared to the 200Gb, 300Gb, 400Gb and 500Gb versions I doubt it will be a problem seeing as we have had such good results on the other drives.

Qnap have have classed this as a beta firmware update at this time and is only for testing. If you have any issues with it direct them through myself and I will bring them to Qnap's attention. They have also told me though that this is likely to be the release build anyway as the results have been excellent so far. I will post details of any further amendments on here if there is another update that needs to be downloaded.

Re sleep mode. I have had my TS-101 (1st sample that they ever shipped to anybody) since September last year with a 300Gb HDD in it. Whilst the firmware has changed the hardware is the same that you have today. I have never had the hard drive set to go in to sleep mode and I have had mine switched on 24/7 since I received it. It has only been powered down or reset when applying install files. It gets warm but that is always going to be the case due to the design of the case. I am more than happy to leave mine switched on all the time ready to go.

Finally, thanks go to Qnap for fixing the issues with the HDD compatibility so quickly (and saving my bacon) and to those who tested the firmware for me last night.

Any questions or comments PM me please.

Paul

happyfishman
2006-03-18, 02:54
Paul,

Thanks for dealing with this so quickly and keeping us in the loop.

Re: the standby issue. This is a selling point in the Qnap specifications and I am keen to make sure that it does work or will be fixed if it doesn't. I have two drives that operate in this way and on a point of principle would like to reduce my power consumption and noise (and prolong the life of the drive) wherever possible.

Sorry for this, particularly after all your hard work so far, but as I said, it is a stated feature of the device...

ultra238a
2006-03-18, 03:08
I'll look into this issue and come back to you.

Paul

davidcotton
2006-03-18, 04:35
It gets warm but that is always going to

When you say "warm", how warm exactly?

Fifer
2006-03-18, 05:30
As one of those who tested the fix last night, I just wanted to provide some feedback on my experience. Also as one of those who was pretty critical of Progressive's communication during the delays in delivery, I'd like to thank Paul for his superb efforts in resolving this problem so quickly and effectively. I know Progressive are a relatively small company and don't have a massive technical support resource to throw at issues like this and I suspect much midnight oil has been burned by Paul personally managing the implementation of this fix. Thanks Paul.

Ok. Downloading and installing the new firmware was very straight forward, with the web front end stepping me through the process. I suspect download and installation took no more than 10 or 15 minutes. As advised, I killed previously mapped drives, rebooted the server, remapped the public directory on the Qnap and then went straight to drag and drop copying of my existing music library from the PC to the Qnap. I don't have a Gigabit network, so used a hardwired 100MB Ethernet connection and it took 5 hours to copy 3500 FLAC tracks (about 75GB). The copy was very straight-forward with no glitches. That took until about 11pm, so I started rescanning music on the Slimserver, switched off the PC and went to bed.

This morning, I got up, checked that the rescan had finished, moved the Qnap connection from the PC to my wireless router/modem, rebooted the Qnap, router and PC then started up my Squeezebox. I restarted network setup on the Squeezebox and it found my old and new Slimservers. Choosing the new Slimserver, I was listening to music within an hour of getting up (which included showering, feeding the cat and making some toast). Painless.

The Qnap itself is a very impressive little box and has a very solid, weighty feel to it. I'll be having an intensive listening session tonight to put the Qnap through its paces and I'll report on performance tomorrow, but initial impressions are very favourable. Tomorrow, I need to run a telephone connection into my study and move the Qnap and router into the same room as my PC setup so I can use the print server facility on the Qnap too. I have a feeling this is going to be a very useful little box. :)

topcarsales
2006-03-18, 06:39
Fifer,
You said that you "moved the Qnap connection from the PC to my wireless router/modem". Does that mean that when you copied over your music that you connected the qnap directly to your PC, or via the router?

ultra238a
2006-03-18, 06:48
I have just copied 40Gb over to a 500Gb TS-101 through a router without any issues. I have only ever used this box through a router to be honest.

Paul

Fifer,
You said that you "moved the Qnap connection from the PC to my wireless router/modem". Does that mean that when you copied over your music that you connected the qnap directly to your PC, or via the router?

happyfishman
2006-03-18, 07:56
I've installed the firmware update. I didn't see any instructions to remove mapped drives before doing so, but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems as all my previously created drives seem to be accessible and working. I am now copying over my music files. It's fairly slow, but I am copying from one NAS drive to another via a router. The big leap forward is that the copying process has been progressing without hang-ups for a few hours now - hooray!!

Now all I need is my replacement squeezebox to arrive (hint...).

Fifer
2006-03-18, 11:42
Fifer,
When I copied over my music, the Qnap was connected directly to the PC via ethernet. After I'd finished copying, I connected the Qnap by Ethernet to my wireless router/modem so it could become part of my wireless network, independent of the PC. I could have copied the files over the network without a direct PC connection, but I thought that ethernet might be quicker. Maybe not though. I hope that's clearer?

topcarsales
2006-03-18, 12:38
Do I have to install the quick install wizard to run the qnap upgrade?

Fifer
2006-03-18, 12:42
I don't think so. You can run the install update utility from the web front end. I think it's best to use the quick install wizard to map Qnap drives though.

topcarsales
2006-03-18, 12:49
I didnt run it as I was concerned about the section advising to format the hard drive. Did you just ignore format when you got to that section?

Fifer
2006-03-18, 12:55
Yes. Don't format your drive. The Quick Install utility is slightly misleadingly named. It's more of a configuration utility. All I've used it for is to map drives and to check the IP address of the Qnap.

topcarsales
2006-03-18, 14:55
Anyone know if the Qnap can play Apple AAC files? Cant seem to get mine working and when I try to select "File Format Conversion Setup" I get the error "Required binary was not found: [mov123] $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ -b $BITRATE$ -"

Can I only play the types lst already in the Conversion Setup?

ultra238a
2006-03-18, 15:10
We are working on Apple AAC files this weekend. As soon as we have an update available to download I will publish a link and you can just drop the file into the updates directory and reboot.

It should be available within a week as long as there are no problems with source code and cross compiling for the TS-101.

Thanks

Paul

shawkie
2006-03-19, 08:19
I've upgraded the firmware on my 300GB Qnap and am pleased to say its no longer crashing when copying files.

The shares are still pretty slow (7MB/sec read and write) even over gigabit ethernet. I guess maybe thats normal for this type of device and gigabit ethernet support is more of a marketing thing. I'm still slightly disappointed though.

Playback seems to be working well (I'm using FLAC transcoded to WAV) although I do get drop outs if I'm writing to a share at the same time. I'm expecting it to be even better when they release a version of SlimServer where native FLAC works properly.

The interface on the Squeezebox is very responsive (as long as I'm not writing to a share).

The web interface on the other hand is very sluggish. It takes roughly 5 secs (sometimes even longer) for the Browse Albums page to load. This is even if I'm not playing anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up?

ultra238a
2006-03-19, 09:31
To be honest I think you might be trying to push the box a little bit too hard by playing FLAC files and copying files to the box at the same time. Obviously the box is more than capable of being read and written to by multiple users at the same time. I personally have had 6 Squeezeboxes playing different music files at once (mixture of wired and wireless Squeezeboxes too). Some files were MP3 and some were FLAC.

I personally think 7Mb/sec is quite decent on a 100Mbit network connection as the maximum throughput on this connection is 12.5Mb and taking into account other network traffic that may also be going around at the same time it isn't too shabby.

As for the web front end on SlimServer - takes between 3 and 5 secs on mine to refresh the page each time. More than useable for considering the target market for this product i.e. the majority of people using this box will probably not even touch the web front end once they have it configured.

Paul

I've upgraded the firmware on my 300GB Qnap and am pleased to say its no longer crashing when copying files.

The shares are still pretty slow (7MB/sec read and write) even over gigabit ethernet. I guess maybe thats normal for this type of device and gigabit ethernet support is more of a marketing thing. I'm still slightly disappointed though.

Playback seems to be working well (I'm using FLAC transcoded to WAV) although I do get drop outs if I'm writing to a share at the same time. I'm expecting it to be even better when they release a version of SlimServer where native FLAC works properly.

The interface on the Squeezebox is very responsive (as long as I'm not writing to a share).

The web interface on the other hand is very sluggish. It takes roughly 5 secs (sometimes even longer) for the Browse Albums page to load. This is even if I'm not playing anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up?

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-19, 11:00

What's the issue with FLAC?

Must be limited to the Qnap device because FLAC playback works perfectly for me.

shawkie
2006-03-19, 11:08
You're probably right. I just thought people might like to know what the limitations are. The specifications don't even state the type or speed of processor so its very hard to know what its going to be like until you try one.

Maybe 7Mb/sec isn't bad for a 100Mbit network connection. The Qnap is supposed to have a 1Gbit network connection.

I didn't say it was unusable, only that it was slower than I would have liked. Don't forget there will be people hoping to use a PDA or a Nokia 770 as a remote.

I'm not saying it isn't a good device. Its just that the slow processor means its not quite as flexible as I had hoped. But then I don't imagine anyone was expecting a Pentium 4 for the price.

To be honest I think you might be trying to push the box a little bit too hard by playing FLAC files and copying files to the box at the same time. Obviously the box is more than capable of being read and written to by multiple users at the same time. I personally have had 6 Squeezeboxes playing different music files at once (mixture of wired and wireless Squeezeboxes too). Some files were MP3 and some were FLAC.

I personally think 7Mb/sec is quite decent on a 100Mbit network connection as the maximum throughput on this connection is 12.5Mb and taking into account other network traffic that may also be going around at the same time it isn't too shabby.

As for the web front end on SlimServer - takes between 3 and 5 secs on mine to refresh the page each time. More than useable for considering the target market for this product i.e. the majority of people using this box will probably not even touch the web front end once they have it configured.

Paul

shawkie
2006-03-19, 11:19
The problem actually seems to be in the Squeezebox firmware. It drops a fraction of a second at the end of every track. Its a known bug.

What's the issue with FLAC?

Must be limited to the Qnap device because FLAC playback works perfectly for me.

mherger
2006-03-19, 11:46
> Maybe 7Mb/sec isn't bad for a 100Mbit network connection. The Qnap is
> supposed to have a 1Gbit network connection.

I think it's a well know fact that most NAS devices sporting a Gb
connection don't even fill the 100Mb. The low cost/low power CPUs used in
these devices just aren't up to the task.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

ultra238a
2006-03-19, 12:48
TS-101 = 266Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, 1x Internal sATA Drive
TS-401T = 800Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM, 4x Internal Hot Swap sATA Drive

Paul

finnie
2006-03-20, 03:26
TS-101 = 266Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, 1x Internal sATA Drive
TS-401T = 800Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM, 4x Internal Hot Swap sATA Drive

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am currently running SlimServer on a fairly powerful dedicated windows machine. I only use WMA (192kps), which I believe are decoded locally on the SBs, and hence don't require much in the way of server processing power.

I access all my music through my 4 SBs, i.e. very little web based access.

I realise that the TS-101 is an order of magnitude less powerful that what I am currently using, but at the moment my machine is reporting practically no CPU usage as it is only streaming out data.

Basically I am just trying to get some sort of reassurance that system response via the SB interface(s) wont be 'significantly' affected if I moved to a TS-101.

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

ultra238a
2006-03-20, 04:10
Hi Andrew,

It all depends on a number of issues I guess.

How many music files do you have in your collection?
Do you plan to get any more Squeezeboxes?

I personally have just over 10k music files on my TS-101 with a mixture of MP3 192VBR and FLAC files. Plus I run currently 5x Squeezeboxes (a mixture of SLIMP3, SB1 & SB2). As reported the web front end on SlimServer is more than useable but the UI on the Squeezeboxes works just the same as if SlimServer was running on a PC.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

finnie
2006-03-20, 04:46
Hi Andrew,

It all depends on a number of issues I guess.

How many music files do you have in your collection?
Do you plan to get any more Squeezeboxes?

I personally have just over 10k music files on my TS-101 with a mixture of MP3 192VBR and FLAC files. Plus I run currently 5x Squeezeboxes (a mixture of SLIMP3, SB1 & SB2). As reported the web front end on SlimServer is more than useable but the UI on the Squeezeboxes works just the same as if SlimServer was running on a PC.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have about 4K (approx. 300 albums) files at the moment, all WMA.

Plan to have a max of 6 Squeezeboxes when our new house is finished.

As long as the UI response on the Squeezeboxes is good I will be very happy.

I am really just moving from a PC based system as I am fed up with the whole power management issue.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew.

Fifer
2006-03-20, 06:03
I'm only using one SB2 at the moment, but the remote response using the Qnap is indistinguishable from that of my PC set-up. Both are virtually instantaneous. I might set up my SB1 at the weekend and try both running together.

davidcotton
2006-03-20, 10:42
Hi Paul,

Seriously thinking of getting a qnap now. Do you have these in stock atm? Also whats the url to your website to order from? Is it www.multitask-computing.co.uk? One last thing, is it possible to have it delivered to a separate address from the billing address? IE if I went ahead I would want it delivered to where I work.

Cheers...

funkstar
2006-03-20, 16:00
Multi Task Computing is a reseller, i know they do allow you to ship to an address other than your billing address as i've used them before.

Progressive Computings retail website is www.cooltopia.com

mherger
2006-03-21, 08:56
> TS-401T = 800Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM, 4x Internal Hot Swap sATA Drive

....and x86 based, too. Wow. But here in Switzerland it's playing in
another ligue (USD1500 _without_ disk :-()

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

davidcotton
2006-03-21, 10:00
Multi Task Computing is a reseller, i know they do allow you to ship to an address other than your billing address as i've used them before.

Progressive Computings retail website is www.cooltopia.com

Hi

What was the service like from multi task computing?

Cheers...

funkstar
2006-03-21, 12:34
Not had a problem. Ordered a twin pack of black SB3 wireless a while back, they were on back order (Slimdevices and their suppliers still recovering from the christmas demand at the time) but when i called to check up on the order they were very helpful.

Also ordered a Trinloc DAB USB tuner which i haven't got round to setting up yet. Recieved the day after i ordered it (in fact i recieved it an hour after the email saying it had been dispatched :) )

Heuer
2006-03-21, 12:37
Very poor! I ordered mine from them in November and I have had to do all the chasing regarding delivery. My status on their web site shows the Qnap was posted on 28 February yet I have received nothing. Now I am only getting an answering machine when I call and no reply to email.

No status reports and all the information I got about the upgrade situation was from this site. My business partner ordered one around the same time and he has heard nothing yet his credit card has been debited! Suggest you shop elsewhere.

finnie
2006-03-21, 12:57
Very poor! I ordered mine from them in November and I have had to do all the chasing regarding delivery. My status on their web site shows the Qnap was posted on 28 February yet I have received nothing. Now I am only getting an answering machine when I call and no reply to email.

No status reports and all the information I got about the upgrade situation was from this site. My business partner ordered one around the same time and he has heard nothing yet his credit card has been debited! Suggest you shop elsewhere.

Personally I found them great. Got 4 Squeezeboxes in all. Kept me informed through the process. Just ordered a Qnap drive from them. Would highly recommend....

Andrew.

Heuer
2006-03-21, 13:09
Good luck! Personally I am going to try and cancel and re-order from Cooltopia. Multi-task seem friendly but they are not very organised. In the 15 weeks since I ordered I have not had a single email from them explaing what was happening. I was one of the first to order a Qnap from them but still nothing. Avoid.

davidcotton
2006-03-21, 13:23
I would order a qnap from cooltopia but they are still showing "long lead time" next to all of them.

Heuer
2006-03-21, 13:58
Multi-Task just order from Cooltopia.

Joy of joys I have just opened my March Visa statement and find my account has been debited by Multi Task for a Qnap. So now I have paid (shows a 28 Nov debit date), not received anything and no one will talk to me. Checked with my partner - he is in the same position!

You really don't need this c*** - takes away the pleasure of the SB3. I am now going to complain to Visa and get their accreditation suspended.

Visa only protect you if you lodge a complaint within 30 days of the debit, after that you are on your own with no cover. Odd that the Nov debit is on my March statement!

To be clear - the audit trail:

Ordered 28th Nov
Multi Task say they posted Qnap on 28th Feb (it should be noted the Qnaps were not in the UK on 28 Feb)
March Visa statement shows debit for 28th Nov
March 21st - nothing received

David

Fifer
2006-03-21, 15:28
Cooltopia are the UK distributor. They are a small company and the website availability (long lead time) hasn't been updated since November (!) but they are shipping. Perhaps you could drop them an email asking about current delivery or PM Paul (Ultra) from this forum?

davidcotton
2006-03-21, 15:31
Cooltopia are the UK distributor. They are a small company and the website availability (long lead time) hasn't been updated since November (!) but they are shipping. Perhaps you could drop them an email asking about current delivery or PM Paul (Ultra) from this forum?

Yeah dropped an email to the site earlier :)

ainged
2006-03-22, 02:04
I originally ordered from Advanced MP3 Players on 05/12/2005. After much messing around eventually got it last Sat - only to find out my 400gb device actually had a 200gb drive in it. Totally gutted so sent it back for a refund.

I have now re-ordered from multi-task, but after the last few posts I'm beginning to wonder if thats a mistake too.

Is the general consensus that Cooltopia is the most reliable site to order from ?

Grumpy_Git
2006-03-22, 02:21
I ordered a Squeezebox and 300Gb Qnap three weeks ago from Multitask, the Squeezebox arrived about a week ago and I'm very happy with it, I didnt even read the manual and had it running in about 3 minutes, most of that was scanning the library.

I had no problems with Multitask, they replied to all my emails promptly (those sent via the website, direct emails seem to not arrive).

I admit the Qnap situation is a bit frustrating but, thats a production and supply problem, not Multitasks fault, I havent had a bill for either yet and have been told my drive should be with me by the end of the week. I feel compelled to trust them, all other communications have been fair.

Nick.

Heuer
2006-03-22, 03:20
Stuart from Multi-Task has emailed me and explained the situation. They hope to ship this week once Progressive have updated the 500G units.

Stuart Cooper
2006-03-22, 03:38
In my defence, I would like to point out that several update emails have
been sent out with regard to the delays shipping the Qnaps and I do
endeavour to reply to all emails and phone messages, and usually succeed.
Most are answered within 24 hours, but often a lot quicker.

I've also posted on here with regard to the firmware issues and was dealing
with some people on the weekend we first encountered the disk problem.

Cards are never debited until units ship, or we are informed that they have
shipped by one of our distribution partners. Due to issues with transactions
"timing out" after 3 months if not released, I had to release one or two
Qnap transactions before they shipped (to avoid further delays retaking
fresh payments) - although to be fair, I understood the units would ship on
28th Feb and the transactions were released on that day. Due to a last
minute problem, they were delayed a little longer and then we had the
firmware problem. Paul will back me up on this.

Annoying and frustrating yes, but there's nothing Machiavellian about it.

Incidentally, while a debit date may show 20th Dec for example, that will be
the day the payment was authorised, and not the date it was debited, which
in this case will obviously be many weeks later when the payment is
released.

I hope that this clears up any misunderstandings.

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Heuer
Sent: 21 March 2006 19:38
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Re: Qnap TS-101 Update

Very poor! I ordered mine from them in November and I have had to do all the
chasing regarding delivery. My status on their web site shows the Qnap was
posted on 28 February yet I have received nothing. Now I am only getting an
answering machine when I call and no reply to email.

No status reports and all the information I got about the upgrade situation
was from this site. My business partner ordered one around the same time and
he has heard nothing yet his credit card has been debited! Suggest you shop
elsewhere.

--
Heuer
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heuer's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2543
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20393

DPJ Solutions Ltd
2006-03-22, 04:07
Paul,

It has now been several days and I am still awaiting for your phone call regarding the problem I am experiencing with my 200GB QNAP TS101.

Symptom: Slimserver not scaning music folder on QNAP.

I appreciate that you have been inundated with work regarding this issue. However, the fact remains that I am a valid customer and should be dealt with in a professional way.

It has now been nearly three weeks since I have had this product which I simply have NOT been able to use.

I appreciate the recent attempt with getting my unit up and running with the aid of a firmware update but as you already know, this has NOT worked on my QNAP unit.

Further more you have promised to call me regarding this issue on a few occasions which you have NOT kept.

Quiet frankly I am becoming extremely annoyed with the inadequate way in which I am being handled with this and am beginning to regret ever purchasing this item from Cooltopia (ProgressiveAV).

Now for the last time - could you please CALL ME A.S.A.P regarding this mess so I can either send the product back to you for a full refund or I have your undivided attention to sort my box out properly once and for all.

David Inniss.

ultra238a
2006-03-22, 04:53
Ok

With respect to Stuart@Multitask Computing. I can hand on heart say that Multitask are one of our best resellers on Squeezebox and Qnap in the UK. Everybody is aware of the issues and problems we have had getting the Qnap TS-101 with embedded SlimServer to market so lets please not slag each other off on here. Stuart, as previously posted kept as many of his customers (and people on here at my request when I haven't been available) updated with information as we have it. Qnap were supposed to launch the product last November which is when we announced it and they put it back and put it back to make the product better. As I have had the first sample out of Qnap last September I can assure you the wait has been worth it compared to what they were going to launch.

@ David Inniss
The reason the firmware update didn't work on your unit was because you had tried to reformat the hard drive and you had deleted all of shares that had been created by the system. I have spent hours on the phone with you talking you through trying to get your unit set back up and working correctly. I have spoken to you out of working hours and at the weekend. You have my mobile number which you have called me on and I have spoken to you - even when I should have been putting my children to bed or spending some time with my family.

I have already told you we will have the unit back and reconfigure it for you. We currently don't have any 200Gb models in stock to replace yours with so it will need to be reconfigured. I suggest you wait for me to reply to your email directly before posting on here again.

Paul
paul.hanley@progressiveav.com

happyfishman
2006-03-22, 05:30
This may not be the right time, given the recent posts on this thread, but...

Paul, has there been any progress on the 'fail to go into standby' issue?

On the customer service discussion: I, like everyone else had a very long and uncertain wait time for both my Squeezebox and Qnap, and share the frustrations of others. The Qnap has had it's problems, but Paul's presence here has helped to solve the problems and has shown that solutions were under development. Perhaps a little more regular communication to all affected customers might have helped, although I fully understand that this may take time away from actually working on the task of actually shipping the things. I have regularly spoken to Stuart at Multitask by phone who seems to be a genuinly nice guy trying to navigate though a number of problems (back order pile-up, stock delivery delay, drive incompatibility problems), but I have at least been able to get word-of-mouth updates.

If I have a complaint it's that the replacement for my failed Squeezebox has not yet arrived. Again, I can understand that a replacement is dependant on stock being in the country and I have been informed by Stuart that, after over a two-week wait, it was due to be shipped yesterday or two days ago. I did email Paul, who is at the sharp end of shipping, to ask for some indication of when I could expect it, but I have never received any communication. I guess I'm just simmering with the frustration of having a Qnap loaded and ready to go, but no Squeezebox!

All of that said, I'm sure we'll all be obscenely happy when the hardware problems are sorted and the set-up works as we all want it to.

On another note - and a little off message - I am having a few problems with port forwarding and externally accessing the server utilities. Is there a forum or some form of UK support for this?

Graham

ultra238a
2006-03-22, 05:59
@happyfisherman

They are currently looking in to the issue of powering down with Slimserver installed.

I'll get in touch with Stuart about your replacement SB3 as I am not sure why you haven't had it yet.

PM me with your port forwarding issues as I have mine setup and it is working well on all services including Softsqueeze.

Regards
Paul

finnie
2006-03-22, 07:47
@happyfisherman

They are currently looking in to the issue of powering down with Slimserver installed.

I'll get in touch with Stuart about your replacement SB3 as I am not sure why you haven't had it yet.

PM me with your port forwarding issues as I have mine setup and it is working well on all services including Softsqueeze.

Regards
Paul

Ordered my Qnap from Multitask Computing late Monday afternoon.

Was told by Stuart that it shipped yesterday, and I have just arrived home to the parcel !

Currently setting it up.

Will post my findings.

Andrew.

finnie
2006-03-22, 15:09
ok, sitting have a beer, listening to music streamed from a silent TS-101.

The Qnap was a doddle to setup.

Took a while to copy the music and scan, probably best part of 2 hours.

However now PC free, no noise, no switching on and off.

Performance wise, got 4 Squeezeboxes hooked up, and have no issues. The user interface on the Squeezeboes is only marginally slower than my 3GHz windows machine, but not at all an issue.

Web front end is a bit more sluggish, but again perfectly acceptable.

You really only notice the lack of horse power when scanning. This now takes the best part of an hour if I have to do a full scan, rather than 5 mins.

All in all very happy at the moment.

Andrew.

boerner
2006-03-23, 09:07
Any place where I can source one of these units in the U.S.A? I am definitely interested as my new Squeezebox is on the way as we speak :-)

Mark Lanctot
2006-03-23, 11:43
Any place where I can source one of these units in the U.S.A? I am definitely interested as my new Squeezebox is on the way as we speak :-)

In the U.S., an Infrant NAS will be equivalent and SlimServer is supported by the manufacturer - there's a download on their site.

www.infrant.com

boerner
2006-03-23, 13:14
In the U.S., an Infrant NAS will be equivalent and SlimServer is supported by the manufacturer - there's a download on their site.

www.infrant.com

I did see that, but they are a little pricey. I also had posted on their forums a while back about their GPL'd code, and was given the brush off. They have since posted some info, but I am still a little wary.

ultra238a
2006-03-23, 13:49
The Infrant products are more like our new TS-401T product.

The TS-101 is designed as a personal storage device.

Paul

Sanctum
2006-03-24, 00:34
@happyfisherman

Qnap TS-101 in "goes into stand-by" shocker!

The change to the browser refresh option works once you have updated the firmware on the box.

My settings(other than defaults):
Slimserver - Interface - Browser Update - 86400 seconds

Qnap TS-101 - System Tools - Hardware Settings - Enable hard disk standby mode (if no access within 10 minutes).

The hard disk goes into stand-by (stops spinning) but the unit remains warm, even overnight due to all the chippery still generating heat.

So now I have a Qnap TS-101 running slimserver, that I can upload music to, goes into stand-by, is completely stable, silent and streams to softsqueeze using about 200bits of my wireless bandwidth.

I am a happy bunny :)

now to buy some squeezeboxes...

Grumpy_Git
2006-03-24, 02:19
Yesterday My 300Gb Qnap arrived and once I got back from work I started to play.

I mapped the drive through windows ( something like \\slimserver-01\publicstore ) and pushed all the cds I've currently ripped onto it (about 70) this took about an hour but it was time for dinner so i didnt care.

I moved the ethernet cable from my laptop to the SB3 and started to setup, I configured the Squeezebox as a wireless bridge as part of the proceedure and then hit rescan, this took about 5-10 minutes, hopefully incremental updates will be nice and speedy if i do 10 cds or so at a time.

It works a charm, I love it I can even access everything through my wireless network including on my pda, and I only have one request for a feature, I'd like to be able to disable all the volume controls and use the RCAs as a fixed level line out.

Nick

Fifer
2006-03-24, 03:06
My Qnap has been running (almost) perfectly for nearly a week now. In general use, it's really no different to using a PC server. The unit gets warm, but no more than that. As a bonus, I'm also using it as a print server on my wireless network and it works like a charm.

The only minor bug I've noted is that when playing a random mix, skipping to the next track causes a one second drop out a few seconds after the next track starts. It only happens when skipping (not when the playlist progresses normally) and it is repeatable. My PC Slimserver installation works fine in this respect. Paul is discussing the issue with Slim so hopefully we'll see a fix. It's fairly minor though and is the only issue I've noted. I'm very pleased with the Qnap.

ultra238a
2006-03-24, 07:00
I am finally starting to feel the love ;)

Paul

happyfishman
2006-03-24, 07:53
Whooooopeeeeeee!! My replacement Squeezebox has just arrived! Thanks Paul & Stuart. Haven't hooked it up to the Qnap yet; thought I'd savour the moment...

Noticed there's a way round the standby problem too. Happy days...

My Squeezebox-less days haven't been idle, though. I've been grappling with the other Qnap functions and now have a useful multimedia web server up and running and in the process have learnt a lot about the wacky world of dynamic DNS and the like (thanks again for the useful tips, Paul).

Now then... Is there going to be a forum for requesting plug-ins for the Qnap-Slimserver updates? Please please please can we have something along the lines of Playlistman, which allows you to add a playing track to a user-selected playlist on the fly using the remote?

I know, I know, never happy....

Fifer
2006-03-24, 11:02
I am finally starting to feel the love ;)

We expect a long courtship. We don't want people to think that we are easy. ;)

davidcotton
2006-03-24, 12:46
Just thought I'd double check. The qnap can be used to store the music formats that the squeezebox can support yes?

adhawkins
2006-03-25, 02:48
Hi,

In article <davidcotton.256w5b1143229801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
davidcotton<davidcotton.256w5b1143229801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd double check. The qnap can be used to store the music
> formats that the squeezebox can support yes?

To all intents and purposes, the QNap is just a hard disk...

It just happens to also be able to run Slimserver

Andy

ultra238a
2006-03-25, 03:53
It is a bit more than a hard disc I think.

We are currently working on getting AAC files playing through install of SlimServer on the box plus a few other plugins etc.

Paul

hfu1
2006-03-25, 05:42
Thanks to Paul of ProgressiveAV for getting the firmware sorted - appears to copy files fine. However after testing the unit for 3-4 days now, I have noticed the following:

a) REALLY slow performance with SlimServer - the remote control is laggy, takes a few seconds to respond to any button push. the web browser takes ages to respond (10-30 secs). This can't be normal. Yes I might be downloading torrents with the QNAP at the same time (only 1 or 2) but surely it can handle multiple tasks. As it stands, I don't regard the SlimServer setup suitable for use.
I have no such performance problems running SlimServer on my laptop.

b) Still can't map to the drive using a driver letter, still having to use an IP address.

Any ideas welcome. Apart from this, the box works fine, and the torrent downloading facility is absolutely brilliant, what a godsend!

Fifer
2006-03-25, 06:38
What's the slimserver performance like when you are not downloading torrents? Are you maybe expecting too much from a £250 device?

funkstar
2006-03-25, 08:26
downloading a torrent isn't like gownloading something through a web browser directly off a server. The software can have dozens of connections open to different host, downloading segmens of the file that it has to manage and place in the forrect location of the file.

I'm not surprised SS is slow if you have two of these going at the same time.

Mark Norton
2006-03-25, 11:36
Installed a TS-101/500Gb firmware 1.0.0.0317; no problems mapping to it as a drive or bulk general file copy. Copied a single Apple Lossless file to the music folder and logged into SlimServer using port 9000, rescanned the music libary.

All looks fine, track can be seen in the SqueezeBox but when you try to start plaing it, you get the message "Problem: Can't Open File For...<track name>".

Is this a known problem? Seems like the 0317 firmaware version is the latest available.

funkstar
2006-03-25, 12:11
Four pasts ago on this thread Paul from Progressive wrote:

"We are currently working on getting AAC files playing through install of SlimServer on the box plus a few other plugins etc"

FLAC, MP3, WMA (lossy) and WAV files will work fine.

ultra238a
2006-03-25, 14:17
Hi,

As nobody else is experiencing slow performance using Squeezebox with a remote I can only come to the same conclusion as others have and that is that downloading torrents at the same time as using SlimServer will have a performance impact.

Yes the TS-101 can handle multiple operations at once but please keep in mind the specification of the box when trying to push it too hard.

I will try downloading a few torrents myself via my box and see how it impacts the SlimServer operation and come back to you.

As for assigning drive letters to shares, nobody else has indicated any problems with this so please email me with further information about your setup.

Regards

Paul

Thanks to Paul of ProgressiveAV for getting the firmware sorted - appears to copy files fine. However after testing the unit for 3-4 days now, I have noticed the following:

a) REALLY slow performance with SlimServer - the remote control is laggy, takes a few seconds to respond to any button push. the web browser takes ages to respond (10-30 secs). This can't be normal. Yes I might be downloading torrents with the QNAP at the same time (only 1 or 2) but surely it can handle multiple tasks. As it stands, I don't regard the SlimServer setup suitable for use.
I have no such performance problems running SlimServer on my laptop.

b) Still can't map to the drive using a driver letter, still having to use an IP address.

Any ideas welcome. Apart from this, the box works fine, and the torrent downloading facility is absolutely brilliant, what a godsend!

adhawkins
2006-03-25, 17:16
Hi,

In article <ultra238a.25821n1143284103 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
ultra238a<ultra238a.25821n1143284103 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> It is a bit more than a hard disc I think.

Ok. That was an over-simplification on my part. However, the Qnap can store
anything, regardless of whether the Slimserver can support it.

Andy

Mark Norton
2006-03-25, 17:27
Four pasts ago on this thread Paul from Progressive wrote:

"We are currently working on getting AAC files playing through install of SlimServer on the box plus a few other plugins etc"

FLAC, MP3, WMA (lossy) and WAV files will work fine.

Well excuse me for not knowing that AAC is the same as Apple Lossless. Personally, I don't care that this product doesn't appear able to do two things at once. Just one, done properly, would be fine.

ultra238a
2006-03-26, 02:36
Hi Mark,

Ok the firmware from Qnap has nothing to do with the Slimserver installation on this box.

As you know we are currently working on converting the codecs to allow Slimserver to play Apple AAC files on the TS-101 - we hope to have these tested and out there soon.

If of course you are still having problems and issues then please feel free to email me directly at paul.hanley@progressiveav.com and I will endevour to answer your questions as quickly as possible.

Regards

Paul

Well excuse me for not knowing that AAC is the same as Apple Lossless. Personally, I don't care that this product doesn't appear able to do two things at once. Just one, done properly, would be fine.

happyfishman
2006-03-26, 03:27
Noticed I can't play OGG files (big problem as I have quite a few of these). Anyone else having this problem?

hfu1
2006-03-26, 07:29
Fair enough, but I disabled the torrents, switched the web interface to 'Light', disabled every other service on the QNAP (web/ftp etc), and gave it a test, and I reckon performance only slightly improved - the web interface is near unusable (20 odd secs to load up the SlimServer home is just too long, and 4-5 seconds for every other click, e.g. Browse Artists).
The remote control is really laggy when even doing things like pausing and playing, or even power on/off.

downloading a torrent isn't like gownloading something through a web browser directly off a server. The software can have dozens of connections open to different host, downloading segmens of the file that it has to manage and place in the forrect location of the file.

I'm not surprised SS is slow if you have two of these going at the same time.

Andy_W
2006-03-26, 07:53
Being monitoring the posts for the last three weeks or so. I just wanted to say that my 160 Qnap is working perfectly much to my reflief. My wife redecorated the living room, bought new furniture (including two leather sofas) and ripped and stored all the CDs to accomoodate our new SB3/Qnap set up! When I suggested there may be a small technical problem she was not best pleased!

I would like to thank Paul for all his efforts in sorting out the issues. The standard of technical assistance and service has been outstanding. I think he deserves to "feel more love"

Andy_W

Fifer
2006-03-26, 09:37
Fair enough, but I disabled the torrents, switched the web interface to 'Light', disabled every other service on the QNAP (web/ftp etc), and gave it a test, and I reckon performance only slightly improved - the web interface is near unusable (20 odd secs to load up the SlimServer home is just too long, and 4-5 seconds for every other click, e.g. Browse Artists).
The remote control is really laggy when even doing things like pausing and playing, or even power on/off.
I wonder if there might be something wrong other than the Qnap? Mine works perfectly.

happyfishman
2006-03-26, 10:04
I seem to be experiencing all sorts of strange behaviour...

Navigating to the Artist list using 'Browse Artist' takes something over 30 seconds. 'Browse Years' and 'New Music' is very slow too. 'Browse Genres' and 'Browse Music Folder' are both relatively quick such that using the browse music folder is probably the only practical means of selecting music at present. Unfortunately, international characters are not displayed in 'Browse Music Folders' (but are in 'Browse Artist'). Using the remote as a coarse alphabetic selection in 'Browse Artist' is also very slow and sometimes doesn't register at all.

The Slimserver browser is very slow to respond.

I also seem to be having problems with tag handling... Albums with multiple formats (e.g. a mixture of mp3 and wma) are duplicated (exactly) in the list with each format segregated, but under the same artist.

'Various Artists' handling seems to have completely fallen apart; some can be seen, some can only be found by album search. Once found, scrolling down the track details show that they are tagged as 'Various Artists' but they still don't appear in the 'Browse Artist' list under 'Various Artists'. Aghhhhhh...

Ogg Vorbis files are not playable at all.

I'm not running anything other than Slimserver on the Qnap at the moment...

Timbo
2006-03-26, 10:06
Hi there - I have been following this thread with much interest, and it's great to see Progessive sorting things out and the Qsnap working in peoples homes at last! Anyway ignoring the techie stuff like torrents or telnet or whatever, now might be a good time to get back to basics and ask you guys...

1) Is this really now a simple to implement solution for running Slimserver without your PC switched on?

2) I use an iTunes database to catalogue my collection (EAC into .wav into iTunes) and I presume I only get tags because iTunes has this info in its database - so along with the files themselves I presume I need to get all this info across into the NAS somehow? And from then on use the NAS as my drive for iTunes to encode it's music files to - has anyone done this yet?

3) Bit worried about time lags and slowing down as opposed to using the PC to stream - has anyone found this to be an issue?

thanks in advance.. :-)

happyfishman
2006-03-26, 10:19
APE files won't play either...

Mark Norton
2006-03-26, 10:48
Providing I can get it to play some music, it will definitely meet my needs to have a networked music player without a PC to host it switched on all the time.

I've found the performance of the TS-101 as NAS is surprisingly good, I've copied 10's of Gb to the drive from a laptop across a wireless connection to the router/wireless access point which has a wired connection to the TS-101.

Can't speak yet about the SlimServer performance, it's very quick to tell me it cannot read my file though and seems fine logging into the SqueezeNetwork and playing "Natural Sounds". It may well fall apart when I add my 600 CDs/7000 songs.

If the SlimServer performance is down to the slow processor and limited RAM, it would be good to see a version using the faster processor and more RAM. Who wouldn't pay, say, an extra £100 for that?

I think it's a good value for money product. Just need it to work...

Fifer
2006-03-26, 10:58
I seem to be experiencing all sorts of strange behaviour...

Navigating to the Artist list using 'Browse Artist' takes something over 30 seconds. 'Browse Years' and 'New Music' is very slow too. 'Browse Genres' and 'Browse Music Folder' are both relatively quick such that using the browse music folder is probably the only practical means of selecting music at present. Unfortunately, international characters are not displayed in 'Browse Music Folders' (but are in 'Browse Artist'). Using the remote as a coarse alphabetic selection in 'Browse Artist' is also very slow and sometimes doesn't register at all.
Is that using the web browser or the remote? I normally use 'Browse Artist', but just checked using 'New Music', 'Browse Years' and 'Search Music'; all were practically instantaneous using the remote and took between four and six seconds using the web interface.

happyfishman
2006-03-26, 11:42
That's all using the remote. Now seems to have dropped down to 5 or six seconds before a response from 'Browse Artist'. and the remote buttons...

Seems to play ok when it's going, although I have had a couple of stutters. Also experienced some serious stuttering and hanging up when listening to the live music library on SqueezeNetwork last night, although that was probably just web traffic bottlenecks.

Definitely a fair bit slower than my laptop and Western Digital NAS setup at present...

davidcotton
2006-03-26, 12:42
I have a usb hard drive with some mp3s on, do I need both the usb and the qnap connected to a router to get the tracks from one to the other? If not how would I go about transferring from one to the other? Apologies for all the questions but I'm a complete noob at this type of thing. Also is anyone else having trouble with ogg files?

Fifer
2006-03-26, 13:18
Plug the Qnap into your router (or directly into the PC) and plug the USB drive into one of the Qnap's USB ports and off you go I think.

happyfishman
2006-03-26, 14:44
Also is anyone else having trouble with ogg files?

I was getting the same type of error message that was reported earlier for AAC, so I suspect that OGG and APE formats are at the same stage as AAC i.e. support will need to be built into the next release of the Qnap-specific Slimserver.

ultra238a
2006-03-27, 02:19
Hi,

OGG files should be sorted out either today or tomorrow. We are still working on AAC - should be this week with a bit of luck. We'll have a look at APE this week.

I'll have a look in to the other issues as well.

Regards

Paul

Heuer
2006-03-27, 04:35
Just finished copying 120G of Apple lossless files across in anticipation of AAC support. Took just over 21 hours. Task manager is showing network utilisation of 15% on a 100Mbps link so I assume the Qnap processor is gateing the transfer. Anyone else got performance statistics?

Sanctum
2006-03-27, 04:38
Glad you're "feeling the love" Paul, you deserve it for bringing NAS based music streamers to the hacking illiterate.

Just to report I'm having some odd behaviour problems with the Qnap now, but I think it's network related rather than Qnap, but I'll post it just in case and also let you know if I solve it.
The upload speed to the Qnap is fine, but the download speed has suddenly dropped to about 120kB/s over a 54Mb/s wifi network. What is more bizare is that if I kick off a download from some external website, the traffic flow jumps from 120kB/s to 1.4Mb/s, which is much more like what I had previously. Since my broadband is only 2Mb, I generally only get download sppeds of about 120kB, so the jump on data transfer isn't due to a significant increase in traffic from the download, but it seems to free something up in the router.

All this started when I enabled the webserver functions of the Qnap, the WAN access to my router and put the Qnap into the DMZ.

I'm off to discuss this on some networking forums, because I think it's down to my own ineptitude, but if others are suffering similar problems, then any solution I can find might help.

ultra238a
2006-03-27, 16:59
Hi Sanctum,

To the best of my knowledge the Qnap should have no adverse effect on your network. I myself run a Linksys wireless router with a mix of ethernet, 802.11b and 802.11g connections (XBOX360, Squeezebox 1, Squeezebox 2, XP laptop and Mac mini). Plus I also have a dynamic DNS address pointed at the Qnap for Qdownload, Qweb, Qmultimedia and FTP. Oh and SlimServer access and I don't have any traffic problems on the network.

Now on my 10Mbit connection ;) I can get anything from between 85kb/sec to 1124kb/sec download speeds - it really depends on the site and the time of day I am using my connection. On a 2Mbit connection I would imagine you could get no more than about 250kb/sec download speed and most of the time it would be around 180kb/sec (or it was when I had a 2Mbit connection). Try out the speed checker on www.adslguide.org.uk and see what results that gives you - remember though you are on a shared line with a 20:1 contention.

Please either post here or PM me with your findings.

Regards

Paul

ultra238a
2006-03-27, 17:01
Re: OGG Vorbis playback.

For anybody who wants OGG playback PM me and I will send you a link to the file.

There will be an update page on our new website for updates, fixes and firmware updates etc etc when it launches next week (or when I have finished it).

Regards

Paul

Fifer
2006-03-28, 00:10
when it launches next week (or when I have finished it).
You're learning Paul. ;)

Heuer
2006-03-29, 11:07
I am running 6.2.2 with f/w 35 and using the Qnap as an external drive until the AAC codec becomes available and it is working fine. When I switch to the embedded version of Slimserver (hopefully in the very near future!) will I need to wind back the firmware?

Grumpy_Git
2006-03-29, 11:08
I've been playing with my squeezebox and Qnap and have noticed that the Time and date info is incorrect, can anyone tell me where I can change this, I'm assuming this info is pulled from the server and hope that the blasted password protection will not prevent me from changing this.

Hope I'm not just being incredibly dense.

thanks in advance,

Nick.

Heuer
2006-03-29, 11:45
You can change date/time by running the Qnap install wizard - under configure.

ultra238a
2006-03-30, 06:04
Hi Grumpy Git (that has been me over that last two weeks!)

Do you have an always on internet connection? The TS-101 is setup to get the latest time every hour from an NTP server if the router you are connected to is connected to the Internet. This should keep the time on your SB accruate.

I'll ping Qnap though to see if it is a bug they are working on as SlimServer takes the time from the system clock.

Thanks

Paul

I've been playing with my squeezebox and Qnap and have noticed that the Time and date info is incorrect, can anyone tell me where I can change this, I'm assuming this info is pulled from the server and hope that the blasted password protection will not prevent me from changing this.

Hope I'm not just being incredibly dense.

thanks in advance,

Nick.

ultra238a
2006-03-30, 06:06
Ok a couple of things.

1. The OGG update is available for those who want it.

2. The AAC update is making good progress and we hope to have it available this weekend.

3. A firmware update from Qnap has just landed with me so after some testing I will make it available.

4. We have free stock in the UK of all versions of TS-101 now from 160Gb > 500Gb

5. TS-401T might get unleashed next week - more HDD formatting, I want to cry!

Thanks

Paul

happyfishman
2006-03-30, 10:42
The OGG update is available for those who want it.

Paul,

Where do we get it from? Is there a download page somewhere?

davidcotton
2006-03-30, 12:17
Paul,

I think (at first!)you need to pm paul for him to send you a copy!

ultra238a
2006-03-30, 13:03
Hi,

Just PM me and I will send you a link. Nothing cloak or dagger or anything I just haven't had chance to build a nice looking web page to put all the links on.

Paul

Paul,

funkstar
2006-03-30, 14:09
5. TS-401T might get unleashed next week - more HDD formatting, I want to cry!
Paul, just a side thought for you. How about getting a multi drive duplicator so you can format one drive of each size and then duplicate it to N other drives connected to the duplicator.

This is what i found after 30 seconds on google: http://www.starmount.co.uk/category/198.html

May well be too expensive for you, but i thought i would at least try and help you out :)

shawkie
2006-03-30, 14:49
Slightly off-topic but I'm trying to set my qnap up so that other people on the network can't delete my music collection. I've worked out that I can make my share writeable only by the administrator group for instance. However, I can't work out how to then access the share from Windows XP as one of those administrators.

Any ideas?

ultra238a
2006-03-30, 14:57
We had thought about a drive duplicator but we are actually only putting on a small amount of data on the drive in comparison to the size of the actual drive in the box. I have had a look at the specs. on some of the devices on the market and to be honest I think the way we are going to be doing it soon will actually be quicker.

Thanks for the info though anyway.

Regards

Paul

Paul, just a side thought for you. How about getting a multi drive duplicator so you can format one drive of each size and then duplicate it to N other drives connected to the duplicator.

This is what i found after 30 seconds on google: http://www.starmount.co.uk/category/198.html

May well be too expensive for you, but i thought i would at least try and help you out :)

Mark Norton
2006-04-01, 22:58
We had thought about a drive duplicator but we are actually only putting on a small amount of data on the drive in comparison to the size of the actual drive in the box. I have had a look at the specs. on some of the devices on the market and to be honest I think the way we are going to be doing it soon will actually be quicker.

Thanks for the info though anyway.

Regards

Paul

No point you buying a drive duplicator because if you don't get SlimServer working on the QNAP, your sales are going to dry up anyway. I'm on the point of returning mine, not fit for purpose. Hello? The general idea is that you do the development and testing before you con people into buying the product, not after.

ultra238a
2006-04-02, 02:20
Mark,

Sorry to hear you are having problems when other people are using theirs fine.

The product as it ships supports the native formats of the Squeezebox range and we are working as hard as we can to support the other formats. OGG is now available and I hope to have AAC available this weekend or early next week. APE will follow shortly afterwards. It is unfortunate what happened with the drive compatibility but that was an issue for Qnap to sort out which they did very quickly.

Just like Squeezebox, the product will get better and better as time goes on with updates and fixes.

Regards

Paul

No point you buying a drive duplicator because if you don't get SlimServer working on the QNAP, your sales are going to dry up anyway. I'm on the point of returning mine, not fit for purpose. Hello? The general idea is that you do the development and testing before you con people into buying the product, not after.

fairyliquidizer
2006-04-02, 04:06
Paul,

Just wanted to wish you guys good luck. We SB owners appreciate every new third party product that we can use with our Squeezebox. It sounds like you guys had some teathing problems but are fixing them quickly and producing an excellent product. If I hadn't built my own silent server (a more expensive and energy hungry option) I would buy one of these. In fact I might still do that when my Climate Prediction model has finished running on the server!

Cheers,
Fairy

Fifer
2006-04-02, 04:09
Slimserver works perfectly well on the Qnap. There is a problem with AAC files which Progressive are working on (I understand this might be Mark's problem). Given the efficient way other teething problems have been dealt with, I trust that Progressive will fix this too. I can understand Mark's frustration, but his email above doesn't give much detail and I wouldn't want anyone to go away with the idea that the Qnap as a Slimserver solution fundamentally doesn't work. It does and very well, surprisingly well for the money.

finnie
2006-04-02, 09:39

Just to balance this, I am fairly confident that SlimServer IS running on my TS-101. If it isn't I am not sure what has been streaming data to my 4 SB for nearly 2 weeks now without a hitch.

Mark Norton
2006-04-02, 10:36
It's all to do with expectation. I bought (ordered) this product in November since when there's been the countless missed delivery dates, the bull about the Chinese New Year and the rest. Even if there were problems in getting the hardware shipped, presumably Progressive could have been working in parallel to get SlimServer working in all its guises. As it is, we have a product which shipped 3 months late and doesn't currently do what it is supposed to.

Yes I use Apple Lossless; disk space is cheap and it's pointless ripping CDs to a lossy format because if you have a half-decent sound system, the difference is night and day, far more than any messing with the power supply will reveal.

I also wonder about the long term viability of the solution. There no charge for the integration work of Slim Server into the TS-101 and apart from making a turn on the hardware, where's the incentive to keep it up to date? I'm resigned to the fact that while a PC hosted SB3 is likely to evolve for the better over time, a TS-101 hosted SB3 is likely to be frozen in time - bugs, warts and all - once Progressive lose interest and move on to some other flavour of the month.

The TS-101 is a closed system and while it will always be useful as NAS, the USP of it hosting SlimServer may or may not be long term.

Fifer
2006-04-02, 11:00
It's all to do with expectation. I bought (ordered) this product in November since when there's been the countless missed delivery dates, the bull about the Chinese New Year and the rest. Even if there were problems in getting the hardware shipped, presumably Progressive could have been working in parallel to get SlimServer working in all its guises. As it is, we have a product which shipped 3 months late and doesn't currently do what it is supposed to.
Yes, I ordered in November too. It's a shame that the AAC and Ogg Vorbis incompatibilities were missed, but they were and Progressive is fixing it (Ogg is fixed already). All we are trying to do is keep things in proportion. Slimserver on the Qnap works. There is a problem with one file type which is acknowledged and being worked on.

Yes I use Apple Lossless; disk space is cheap and it's pointless ripping CDs to a lossy format because if you have a half-decent sound system, the difference is night and day, far more than any messing with the power supply will reveal.
That's a good reason for using lossless, but not necessarily Apple lossless. I (and many others) use FLAC for the same reason. Others use WMA lossless.

I also wonder about the long term viability of the solution. There no charge for the integration work of Slim Server into the TS-101 and apart from making a turn on the hardware, where's the incentive to keep it up to date? I'm resigned to the fact that while a PC hosted SB3 is likely to evolve for the better over time, a TS-101 hosted SB3 is likely to be frozen in time - bugs, warts and all - once Progressive lose interest and move on to some other flavour of the month.

The TS-101 is a closed system and while it will always be useful as NAS, the USP of it hosting SlimServer may or may not be long term.
With respect, perhaps you should have considered that before purchasing? Nothing in this respect has changed since November. I'm happy to take the risk as (a) Progressive's incentive will be the same as SD's (who also provide free upgrades) - building a reputation and a satisfied customer base and (b) even if support does stop at some future date, the firmware at it's current level will still work as it does today, the Qnap will still work as a NAS and it wasn't so expensive anyway.

Heuer
2006-04-02, 11:27
That's a good reason for using lossless, but not necessarily Apple lossless. I (and many others) use FLAC for the same reason. Others use WMA lossless.

Do iPod's support FLAC?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-02, 11:57
Do iPod's support FLAC?

No, and probably never will.

ultra238a
2006-04-02, 12:53
Mark,

I'll answer a few of your questions.

Firstly we made a mistake about announcing the product so early. Qnap prommised us the product would launch back at the end of October last year and they kept pushing it back and pushing it back. We could have had a small amount of units just before the Chinese new year but we didn't want to take them because they would have been off the first production run. Of course when the first batch did arrive after the Chinese new year we didn't take into account how long these things would take to format. All of this has been documented though in this thread and others.

With respect to us supporting the product in to the future I can only assure you that we won't loose interest. Why won't we loose interest, well maybe something to do with the fact that we are the UK distributor of the SlimDevices products in the UK might have something to do with it.

I suggest that if you have any further issues with the TS-101 you have purchased you contact me directly at paul.hanley@progressiveav.com to see if we can resolve any of them.

One last thing. I have a Linn active system at home which could be considered to be a "half decent hifi system" and you can't beat a well encoded FLAC file so if disc space isn't a problem then I would convert if I were you.

Regards

Paul

Heuer
2006-04-03, 01:40
Paul

Are you saying FLAC sounds better than Apple Lossless?

I tried FLAC but having to rip every CD twice (second time for my iPod) seemed like a bit of a waste of time. To my ears there was no difference in sound quality (through an £80k audio system) although EAC/FLAC has a wonderful 'geek' feel about it! For me iTunes was easier and more practical, and with a 60g iPod capacity the common Audio coding made the choice a no brainer.

Let me know when AAC is available.

Regards

Fifer
2006-04-03, 02:00
There's no reason why any lossless format should sound better than any other if they are properly ripped. I think the point being made was that, as sound quality was the reason given for using AAC, there are other equally good options. It is a shame that Apple don't support a wider range of formats on their products. I will be looking to replace my much loved Rio Karma at some point in the future (20GB is just a bit too tight unfortunately) but I cannot find anything which comes close to equalling, let alone bettering it (specifically supporting Ogg Vorbis , FLAC and gapless playback).

ultra238a
2006-04-03, 02:24
Hi Heuer,

Personally I think FLAC does sound better AAC lossless but like all things in hi-fi it is down to personal taste. I find that FLAC files have a fuller sound over AAC but then Linn colour the sound when a source is playing through their systems anyway, maybe that is why I never went down the Naim route because I always found thier systems sounded quite bright.

I also have a 60Gb iPod Video for taking my music around with me so I tend to rip all my music twice. Once for the Squeezebox and once for the iPod. As previously mentioned HDD space is cheap and it doesn't take long to rip a CD these days.

Paul

Paul

Are you saying FLAC sounds better than Apple Lossless?

I tried FLAC but having to rip every CD twice (second time for my iPod) seemed like a bit of a waste of time. To my ears there was no difference in sound quality (through an £80k audio system) although EAC/FLAC has a wonderful 'geek' feel about it! For me iTunes was easier and more practical, and with a 60g iPod capacity the common Audio coding made the choice a no brainer.

Let me know when AAC is available.

Regards

funkstar
2006-04-03, 02:56
Paul, if one lossless codec sounds better than another, then one of them is *not* lossless. There has been discussion about WMALossless sounding better than FLAC in another thread. The theory behind this is that Media Player is adding normalising information when ripping. Whether this is through meta data or actually altering the audio, no-one is 100% sure.

As for the Linn colouring the sound, aagain this should make no difference as the stream of bits coming out of the digital connection or the waveform coming from the analog connection on the back of the SB should be identical whether it is FLAC or AAC or WAV or WMALossless etc.

adhawkins
2006-04-03, 04:27
Hi,

In article <Heuer.25ngfz1144002601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Heuer<Heuer.25ngfz1144002601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Do iPod's support FLAC?

No, but it's trivial to bulk convert FLAC to MP3.

It's been argued that there's little point using a lossless format on an
iPod anyway...

Andy

Robin Bowes
2006-04-03, 05:46
Heuer wrote:
> Paul
>
> Are you saying FLAC sounds better than Apple Lossless?

It should sound identical.

>
> I tried FLAC but having to rip every CD twice (second time for my iPod)
> seemed like a bit of a waste of time.

http://robinbowes.com/projects/flac2mp3

> To my ears there was no difference
> in sound quality (through an £80k audio system) although EAC/FLAC has a
> wonderful 'geek' feel about it!

They should sound the same.

> For me iTunes was easier and more
> practical, and with a 60g iPod capacity the common Audio coding made
> the choice a no brainer.

With only 60B, you'd get more songs on your iPod using mp3 than any
lossless format. That's what I do. Rip to flac then convert to mp3 for
my 60GB iPod.

R.

Andy_W
2006-04-03, 05:59
Hi All

Not satisfied with streaming music flawlessly to my SB3, I have now configured the Qnap for external file access, which is a really useful feature for me. Thanks to Paul for guiding me through it.

All you need to do is open some ports on your router and point the open ports to the Qnap LAN address. (I will post the list of ports I used if anyone wants to try this). You also need to change your adminsitrator password to something difficult to guess as this will technically be available across the web. Also you need to change the internal settings to deny guest access. If you use the password "guest", anyone can get full access to your Qnap and this is the default. Once you change this to administrator only, even if you try to access the Qnap by drive letter, it asks for a password. This is really useful to prevent anyone deleting your music files if multiple users share the network.

Then you need to get a domain name (URL) by registering your ISP IP address you use for external access at www.dyndns.com It's free and it means that if your ISP changes the IP address, the URL will still point to the right IP number.

All you do then is type in your newly created URL and your Qnap front page should appear. If you select any of the services, it will ask you for the password. Just log in and you're there!

The only problem I have is the university where I work use Novell border manager (ugh) and this blocks the Qnap log in screen, but the IT dudes are going to adjust it for me.

Anyone wants any more info, post and I will reply.

PS Mark Norton: Stop moaning and badmothing Paul. He provides an enormous amount of support in trying to address Qnap perfomance issues and should not have to waste energy defending himself to arrogant and opinionated individuals. If you want a benchmark for rubbish customer service call Sky or buy something from Dell!

ultra238a
2006-04-03, 06:20
Opened a can of worms here haven't I! To me when I last tested them the FLAC files sounded better but to be honest there wasn't anything in it. Plus I am getting old and with two little children running around screaming I think my hearing probably isn't what it was!

If I get chance I'll have another listen.

Paul

funkstar
2006-04-03, 06:40
With the same source data (ie the same ripped wav fine) any lossless format will* sound identical to any other. in my mind the only format you can be sure of being truly lossless is FLAC because it is open source and because slim device know exactly what is happening at any point of playing a FLAC file. ALAC and WMALossless is being decoded by a third party decoder, so unless these are also open source there is no garantee they aren't doing something funny behind the scenes. Call me paranoid but that the way i look at it :)

*there are reasons why this might not be 100% true.
1) the codec isn't actualy a true lossless codec
2) the encoder has a bug
3) the decoder has a bug
4) the decoder is adding some digital processing before passing the data to slimserver

finnie
2006-04-03, 07:59
Paul,

Only a completely different TS-101 subject, where does SS get its clock tick from ?

I am asking this because the time shown on my SBs drifts out significantly throughout the day.

I have setup the TS-101 to get a time sync from an NTP server once a day, but between these it can be upto 10 mins or more out.

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Andrew.

p.s. This shows you how happy I am with my setup when all I have to worry about is the clock !

ultra238a
2006-04-03, 08:24
Hi Andrew,

The Squeezeboxes on the network get the time from the local server, in this case the TS-101. There is a bug in the TS-101 firmware that Qnap are working on currently working on. At installation I set the clock to update from the NTP server once an hour which keeps it pretty much accurate. Obviously this won't be needed when they fix this time issue.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Only a completely different TS-101 subject, where does SS get its clock tick from ?

I am asking this because the time shown on my SBs drifts out significantly throughout the day.

I have setup the TS-101 to get a time sync from an NTP server once a day, but between these it can be upto 10 mins or more out.

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Andrew.

p.s. This shows you how happy I am with my setup when all I have to worry about is the clock !

Josh Coalson
2006-04-03, 18:09
Do iPod's support FLAC?
not officially but there is this:
http://www.rockbox.org/

mortod
2006-04-04, 03:36
Forgive me if this has already been covered, but is it possible to install SlimServer ones self, rather than purchase the QNap with SS already installed ?

I see that Scan (UK) are selling a diskless Qnap for £170 (today only special offer), and even their 200Gb model comes in at £214 which is somewhat less than advancedmp3players £249. As I already have my flac files on a 2nd PC disk, the cheapest option for me would be to move that disk to a Qnap.

Is the SS software then installed on the disk or in flashable memory, or such like? One assumes the same question would be relevant if anyone here wanted to upgrade their Qnap to a larger disk.

davidcotton
2006-04-04, 05:12
Good spot that! I'd tried ordering from amp3 twice(!)recently the qnap, both times the page timed out when it came to ordering.

Could be very intrested in the 500 gig version especially at that price.

One other thing though. I notice that it says "Qnap TS-101 10in1 NAS/Web/FTP/USB/Backup/Print/MMedia /P2P/Raid1/AV Server (w/o HDD) SATA + 500 GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 , SATA II , 7200 rpm , 16MB Cache" does that mean the drive come separately with the qnap and you have to install ss onto the drive? Will this be difficult to do? Also what are Western Digital drives like noise wise?

Cheers...

Fifer
2006-04-04, 06:32
I could be wrong but I don't think SlimServer is user installable. I seem to recall it being mentioned that Qnap would only allow Progressive to sell pre-installed versions and allow user upgrades but user installs were not permitted.

ultra238a
2006-04-04, 06:55
The TS-101's from Scan are not supplied with SlimServer even though they are one of our Squeezebox resellers.

You cannot install Slimerver on a standard TS-101 that hasn't originated from us.

Paul

ailean
2006-04-04, 07:35
I will be looking to replace my much loved Rio Karma at some point in the future (20GB is just a bit too tight unfortunately) but I cannot find anything which comes close to equalling, let alone bettering it (specifically supporting Ogg Vorbis , FLAC and gapless playback).

Alternatively replace the hard disk in the Karma! I've now got a 30GB Karma (original disk died) and if you're willing to do some dremel work it's, in theory, possible to get up to 60GB! ;)

It's a little tricky, which is why I did it after it was broke.

Stumbled across this thread, nice little box the TS-101, tempting but I think I may stick to my Mini-ITX slimserver and look to expanding it with a raid card.

Fifer
2006-04-04, 07:45
Alternatively replace the hard disk in the Karma! I've now got a 30GB Karma (original disk died) and if you're willing to do some dremel work it's, in theory, possible to get up to 60GB! ;)
Yes, that's probably what I should do.

mortod
2006-04-04, 08:19
The TS-101's from Scan are not supplied with SlimServer even though they are one of our Squeezebox resellers.

You cannot install Slimerver on a standard TS-101 that hasn't originated from us.

So what happens when:

1. A SlimServer upgrade is available ?
2. I want to upgrade the hard disk to, say, something bigger (again, is SS installed on the disk or in ROM) ?

David.

Fifer
2006-04-04, 10:14
The Slimserver upgrade will be user installable. I suspect a hard drive upgrade will require a RTB for slimserver install unless there is some way of copying the disc image over to the new disk.

ultra238a
2006-04-04, 13:02
1. When there is an update we will issue an update file as soon as possible (hopefuly same day) that will update the TS-101.

2. SlimServer is installed on the HDD. If you want to update the HDD you can send your TS-101 back to us and we will install the software on your new HDD. Of course it would be better for you put the new hard drive in an external sATA box.

Paul

So what happens when:

1. A SlimServer upgrade is available ?
2. I want to upgrade the hard disk to, say, something bigger (again, is SS installed on the disk or in ROM) ?

David.

ram
2006-04-04, 14:42
I've got a strange problem with my QNAP Slimserver. It lists every song title as '1'. It gets the album and artist right but every song is 1. The song title is correct on the SB3 so it's not critical, although a bit annoying.

I have tried rescanning the music folder to no success. It's only just happened, it was fine yesterday.

Any ideas?

Mark Norton
2006-04-05, 10:10
When there is an update we will issue an update file as soon as possible (hopefuly same day) that will update the TS-101

Oh please. Same day? As in "we'll have Apple Lossless working by the weekend". Paul, your track record of missed dates, over-selling your product and generally failing to meet your customers' reasonable expectations is a joke which would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

ultra238a
2006-04-05, 10:32
Mark,

I love your posts it has to be said. If the dislike the product that much please get in touch with me via email and I will arrange with you to get it returned as I would rather you didn't have the product than continue to moan about it.

AAC is working and going through testing as I type this. It was a little delayed but it should be available to everybody this week.

As for SlimServer updates, as long as nothing major changes then there is no reason why we can't have the update ready for the same day release as the normal versions as all we have to do is cross-compile it for the CPU in the TS-101. Takes about 2hrs to do this.

Paul

Oh please. Same day? As in "we'll have Apple Lossless working by the weekend". Paul, your track record of missed dates, over-selling your product and generally failing to meet your customers' reasonable expectations is a joke which would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

Mark Norton
2006-04-05, 11:12
Forgive me if I don't hold my breath in anticipation.

finnie
2006-04-05, 11:22

Mark thanks for that constructive criticism, it really adds to the quality of this thread.

Mark Norton
2006-04-05, 11:43
Mark thanks for that constructive criticism, it really adds to the quality of this thread.

You're welcome...

davidcotton
2006-04-05, 12:09
Been wondering what size drive to get. Had originally thought to just get the 500 gig and have done with it (plenty of room for the future!). Now wondering if thats slightly overkill though. I've got about a hundered or so double audio storys (which will be ripped using flac and as a single image so as not to get gaps)and about a couple of hundred music cds, which again will be ripped flac and no doubt as a single image as don't want gaps in them either. So any pointers on what size drive to get or should I just stick with my original plan and get the 500?

ultra238a
2006-04-05, 15:43
will be available to download tomorrow night. I have been testing it all night and it is working well - or it seems to be as I am sure somebody will have some obscure AAC format that won't work with it (Mark?)

The only AAC files I have on my TS-101 have been ripped with the latest version of iTunes at 192VBR. If anybody looking for AAC compatibility could email me one or two of their AAC files for testing I can do that tomorrow and release the update tomorrow night. paul.hanley@progressiveav.com

Thanks

Paul

ultra238a
2006-04-05, 15:51
David,

As far as capacity is concerned, remember you can use the TS-101 for storing any kind of data that you want and not just music.

Paul

Been wondering what size drive to get. Had originally thought to just get the 500 gig and have done with it (plenty of room for the future!). Now wondering if thats slightly overkill though. I've got about a hundered or so double audio storys (which will be ripped using flac and as a single image so as not to get gaps)and about a couple of hundred music cds, which again will be ripped flac and no doubt as a single image as don't want gaps in them either. So any pointers on what size drive to get or should I just stick with my original plan and get the 500?

NickM
2006-04-05, 20:25
Paul,
Does the embedded TS101 version of SlimServer play Monkey's Audio APE music files?
In order for this to work on a PC based SlimServer, the APE dll needs to be copied to the .bin directory (that's all).
Thanks,
nick

ultra238a
2006-04-05, 23:55
Hi Nick,

APE is next on our list to get working.

So I don't upset Mark, we should be able to release it sometime in 2006. My preferred month would be April but it could be either May, June, July, August, September, October, November or even December. I wouldn't want to promise something at this moment in time and not deliver it to you in a timely manor.

Thanks

Paul
Progressive Consumser Electronics Ltd

Paul,
Does the embedded TS101 version of SlimServer play Monkey's Audio APE music files?
In order for this to work on a PC based SlimServer, the APE dll needs to be copied to the .bin directory (that's all).
Thanks,
nick

Grumpy_Git
2006-04-06, 01:21
Davidcotton

If you rip your Audio books as seperate flac tracks you shouldnt get any gaps in the stream, my music and books dont, I've also been listening to a few books stored as MP3 which are transcoded to FLAC and do not exhibit gaps either.

Open Question:
I've only found where to change the time/date for my TS-101 so far, where can I change settings such as the time before going to sleep?

Cheers,

Nick.

PS: Love my QNAP SB setup...

ultra238a
2006-04-06, 02:39
Hi Nick,

If you log in to the administration screen and go to the System Tools/Hardware Settings page you can set the number of minutes before the HDD goes inactive. You will also need to set the refresh option in SlimServer as well though - info about this can be found earlier in this thread.

Glad you like your Qnap SB setup - it is only going to get better!

Thanks

Paul

Open Question:
I've only found where to change the time/date for my TS-101 so far, where can I change settings such as the time before going to sleep?

Cheers,

Nick.

PS: Love my QNAP SB setup...

davidcotton
2006-04-06, 12:06
Davidcotton

If you rip your Audio books as seperate flac tracks you shouldnt get any gaps in the stream, my music and books dont, I've also been listening to a few books stored as MP3 which are transcoded to FLAC and do not exhibit gaps either.

Hi

Tried ripping one of the audio storys that I have into separate flac tracs (did this by using eac and flac frontend, that the best way?)and still got the gap. Mind you this was just using softsqueeze. Will there be any difference when using the qnap/sb3?

Also ripped another audio story and converted that to flac as well. It played the first track fine (again in softsqueeze)then came up with an error (error was:- "problem cant open file for")and didnt play the second track even though it was there, any ideas what was wrong with it?

Edit:- its just done it again on a music cd that I ripped to flac using eac and flacfrontend. Any suggestions?

ultra238a
2006-04-06, 14:59
Hi,

Ok here it is, the AAC update. I have tested it and it seems to work fine on all the AAC files I could lay my hands on. Nobody sent me any to test so if there are problems don't bitch about them just PM or email me with an example file and we will try and fix the issues.

I have knocked up a very quick and dirty page for the updates - remember download the SlimServer update files with either Opera or Firefox as IE screws up the file extensions so the update routine won't pick up the file when you reboot. And just do one at a time.

http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/

Thanks

Paul

ram
2006-04-06, 15:30
just installed all the updates and.........

.....success!

AAC's working fine, thanks a lot Paul

rolfe

Steve_k
2006-04-06, 15:38
Paul

Is MP4 format supported on the TS-101?

They seem to play OK under SlimServer via a PC, but I get the "..unable to open file" error when playing via the TS-101.

The latest updates come work fine if downloaded via IE, as log as you rename them to .tar.gz. They arrive as ".tar.tar", with the second tar hidden if you've got "hide extensions for recognised file types" turned on in folder options.

Steve

P.S. The TS-101 is the mutt's nuts! What a great bit of kit. Thanks for your efforts in sorting out the teething problems.

ultra238a
2006-04-06, 16:11
Hi Steve,

I haven't got a file to test on so email me one so I can have a play.

IE downloads the files fine you are correct. I just thought it was easier to say download them with Opera or Firefox rather than have to rename the files at the command prompt.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul

Paul

Is MP4 format supported on the TS-101?

They seem to play OK under SlimServer via a PC, but I get the "..unable to open file" error when playing via the TS-101.

The latest updates come work fine if downloaded via IE, as log as you rename them to .tar.gz. They arrive as ".tar.tar", with the second tar hidden if you've got "hide extensions for recognised file types" turned on in folder options.

Steve

P.S. The TS-101 is the mutt's nuts! What a great bit of kit. Thanks for your efforts in sorting out the teething problems.

Grumpy_Git
2006-04-07, 06:21
David

I played around with softsqueeze before I bought my SB and Qnap and I believe it forces everything to MP3 and as such introduces gaps, I've not had any gaps since I started to use the real thing!

Nick.

Heuer
2006-04-07, 09:35
Paul

AAC works fine here now.

Thanks

ultra238a
2006-04-07, 09:55
Excellent news!!

This is what I like to hear :)

Paul

Paul

AAC works fine here now.

Thanks

davidcotton
2006-04-07, 10:54
Well, finally got round to placing an order for a 500 gig qnap and a wired squeezebox. Should get it around wednesday. Now I just face the task of ripping a few hundred cds to flac, erk!

Mark Norton
2006-04-07, 15:16
Finally... it's working.

Fifer
2006-04-07, 15:27
Finally... it's working.
Praise indeed ...

eskdale
2006-04-07, 15:51
Hi Paul,

Just received my TS-101 today. First impressions are good except for the AlienBBC which appears to have the problem which used to be present on the PC version where after a short time of playing the station would become garbled and would stay garbled until you press play again. This turned out to be a bug in mplayer and there is a patch for it which fixed it. I know its probably a waste of technology but where I live I can't receive the local radio station BBC Radio Gloucestershire and although my Sqeezebox gets used for mp3's 90% of its time its on Radio Gloucestershire, so as you will appreciate I would be very gratefull if you could apply the fix to mplayer for the TS-101. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Regards

Jon

eskdale
2006-04-07, 16:35
Hi Paul,

I thought I would install the updates from your web site before I loaded my data on the drive. However after installing the updates I seem to have lost AlienBBC completely. Is this me being silly or is this a bug?

Regards

Jon

ram
2006-04-08, 00:41
It has disappeared from my QNAP as well

happyfishman
2006-04-08, 01:07
Paul,

I think in the future it might be useful to provide some brief information (on your downloads page?) on exactly what fixes/additions the firmware updates are performing. If nothing else it will allow users to check specific functions and report back with any problems that may be associated with the updates.

Just a thought...

Graham

happyfishman
2006-04-08, 01:24
Haven't yet installed the firmware update, so I'm interested to know whether the AlienBBC issue is an isolated problem or a more general one associated with the update. Of those that have installed the update is AlienBBC working correctly for the majority?

AlMason
2006-04-08, 04:01
I too have lost AlienBBC following updates.

Al

[Edited to remove comment on aspect of performance that I believed had improved following update, but which further investigation showed to be just as slow as before.]

ultra238a
2006-04-08, 06:13
For those people who have installed the update and have lost AlienBBC, did you install the OGG update before installing the AAC update like it says you need to do?

If not try it and seem if it works again as I have applied the updates on my box and everything still works correctly.

There will be an update for AlienBBC (to the latest version) sometime this weekend anyway so you won't be without it for long.

Thanks

Paul

Heuer
2006-04-08, 06:25
After playing with the AAC updated Qnap and SB3 for a good many hours I have to say this is a killer combination. It may have taken a while to get this far but the results are very impressive. Running the Slimserver native has reduced odd dropouts in playback I was getting from the PC install and the whole thing works seamlessly.

Paul has proved the concept and all credit to him for sticking with it despite our snipeing. Keep at it lad and you will have a class leading product combo. Can't imagine running a SB3 without it.

Regards

Heuer
2006-04-08, 07:10
Spoke too quickly! I just ripped a new CD via iTunes direct to the Qnap whilst the SB3 was merrily playing. Although the files were ripped properly and stored on the Qnap the SB3 froze on the song it was playing and I could not access Slimserver without re-booting. Surely I should be able to write to the Qnap whilst it is reading to the SB3?

ram
2006-04-08, 07:19
Yep I installed the OGG update first then the AAC.

ultra238a
2006-04-08, 07:34
hmmmm very strange. I will update the downloads page with the original instal file for AlienBBC for you to install again.

Paul

Heuer
2006-04-08, 08:20
Spoke too quickly! I just ripped a new CD via iTunes direct to the Qnap whilst the SB3 was merrily playing. Although the files were ripped properly and stored on the Qnap the SB3 froze on the song it was playing and I could not access Slimserver without re-booting. Surely I should be able to write to the Qnap whilst it is reading to the SB3?

Update: I ripped a second CD, using iTunes, to my PC and then dragged the files across to the Qnap without problem. Seems iTunes and Qnap do not get on!

ultra238a
2006-04-08, 14:58
Ok I have updated the download page with an AlienBBC update. Please download in the usual way and install.

We now know what happened with the AAC update. It basically deleleted a folder and then recreated it. The only thing that was effected was AlienBBC. So just download this new version and everything should be ok again.

Works fine here with all the BBC streams I have tested it on so far.

http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/

Paul

ram
2006-04-09, 01:46
Thanks Paul, it's working again now

Mark Norton
2006-04-09, 07:16
It's been asked here whether the QNAP allows Squeezeboxes to be used without a PC permanently connected. Here's how I do it.

- Linksys WAG54G wireless router/hub/ADSL modem
- QNAP (and printer) connect to the hub
- ADSL modem connects to the Broadband phone line
- QNAP has static IP Address, 192.168.0.200
- WAG54G has static IP Address, 192.168.0.1
- 3 Squeezeboxes connect wirelessly using static IP 192.168.0.20x
- Access to SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork
- WEP encryption throughout

If you are in the UK, you need to get a firmware update from LinkSys to update to Version 1.01.15; otherwise the Squeezebox will not connect with WEP even though a PC will.

All works fine; a laptop in range has wireless access to internet and printer; same laptop can be used to configure QNAP (port 6000 on 192.168.0.200) or access SlimServer (port 9000). I can rip CDs on the laptop, copy the files to the music folder on the QNAP and then re-index.

The QNAP can also be used to backup your laptop across the Wirelsss LAN using something like Norton Ghost. While the QNAP could do with a faster processor, there's no reason to buy anything other than the 500Gb version. You never can have too much disk storage.

It'll do me.

Andy_W
2006-04-09, 08:33
Mark

You are being unusally positive and constructive - I am very impressed!

Cheers

Andy

Mark Norton
2006-04-09, 10:47
Now that the support promised in November is here, the box is doing what I expected of it.

The whole setup is QNAP processor bound and I'd certainly like to see a faster processor in there. There is occasional sputtering especially when you start playing. If you run Now Playing with the buffer level displayed, it floats around and can get down to a few percentage which gives little margin for network glitches/other activity. They need a "turbo" version...

ultra238a
2006-04-09, 11:15
Product was promised in November. The support started when the product launched - in March. I don't think I can be accused of not supporting the product Mark.

It isn't extra CPU power you need though that would be nice, it is extra memory that would help things along. The funny thing is Mark is that I have a similar router as you at home (WRT54GS) and I don't have the issues that you have. Maybe it is something else that is causing the problem on your network? I have WEP only set to 64bit on my network and only one of my Squeezeboxes connects wirelessly (though it does work correctly).

At least you are happier with the product now which is something.

Paul

Now that the support promised in November is here, the box is doing what I expected of it.

The whole setup is QNAP processor bound and I'd certainly like to see a faster processor in there. There is occasional sputtering especially when you start playing. If you run Now Playing with the buffer level displayed, it floats around and can get down to a few percentage which gives little margin for network glitches/other activity. They need a "turbo" version...

Mark Norton
2006-04-09, 12:25
All depends on what version of the firmware it has.

But, we're not out of the woods yet. Left just one SB playing random tracks and it has now hung up. The remote does nothing, trying to use the SlimServer interface does nothing.

Restart the SB: connects to the wireless access point, but will not connect to SlimServer.

Can ping the QNAP

Can connect to the QNAP (port 6000)

Cannot connect to the QNAP (port 9000)

Restart the QNAP, all OK.

Seems to me there is definitely a problem with the SlimServer on QNAP after it's been playing for a couple of hours...