PDA

View Full Version : Should crossfading work with synchronised players?

kweller
2006-01-24, 07:36
I have a Squeezebox 2 and 3. Neither crossfades when they are
synchronised but both do when they are not. Does synchronising 2
players remove the ability to crossfade?

Thanks.

(It didn't use to work with SoftSqueeze and a Squeezebox synchronised
either but I thought that was a limitation of SoftSqueeze)

Kevin

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 15:15
There is an outstanding bug report
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1845
which deals with this issue.

According to the bug status, it is expected to be fixed in 6.5

Ben Sandee
2006-01-24, 16:39
On 1/24/06, Michaelwagner <Michaelwagner.225tzn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> There is an outstanding bug report
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1845
> which deals with this issue.
>
> According to the bug status, it is expected to be fixed in 6.5

I wouldn't bet on that... There are tons of enhancements assigned to 6.5.
There's no way they will get them all in.

Ben

kweller
2006-01-26, 14:35
In article <Michaelwagner.225tzn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Michaelwagner wrote:
> There is an outstanding bug report
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1845

Thanks Michael. Now I know that I can stop trying to fix it! I'm
surprised it had so few votes - only 1. I can only assume people either
aren't synchronising or don't crossfade. I added my vote as well
although I don't expect one more will make much difference.

It doesn't occur to me to search the bugs when I have a problem I
generally assume it's me! I'll make a point of doing so in future.

Kevin

Michaelwagner
2006-01-26, 17:00
Well, synchronization has been a feature since early in the development of the Slimserver software.

Cross-fading is a feature that appeared only first in R6 of the server, corresponding to the SB2 hardware appearing.

Most early adopters had SB1s, or mixtures of SB1 and SB2.

It isn't possible to cross-fade an SB1, and so if 1s and 2s were synched together, it isn't clear how to do that (or even if it's possible).

Initially, cross-fade was turned off if multiple players were synched together. In fact, that's more stringent than is really necessary. If all the machines in a synch group were 2s and 3s, you *could* cross-fade. It would take different logic, because the short pause between songs is used to re-synch all the players, and cross-fading eats that time between songs. There are other possible implementations for cross-fading. But no one's ever written the code to work that out.

It doesn't seem to be a priority.

If more people vote for it, maybe it will become a priority.

kweller
2006-01-27, 02:06
In article <Michaelwagner.229nyc (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Michaelwagner wrote:
> Well, synchronization has been a feature since early in the development
> of the Slimserver software.

Perhaps it's grand age is why it's 'not well'!

I'm listening to two Squeezeboxes perfectly synchronised but Moose is
telling me they are playing a different track to what they are actually
playing. I then went to the SlimServer web interface which shows the same
track playing as Moose and doesn't even have the tracks they are playing
in it's current playlist (they are on 'random mode') so it looks like it
is SlimServer that has become confused. What's strange is that the audio
scrobbler plug-in is logging the correct tracks at lastfm. The only 'fix'
seems to be a restart of SlimServer.

It's a shame Synchronisation doesn't work as well as it should as that was
my primary driver for buying the units.

Kevin (off to look at the bug list for 'SlimServer has dementia'! ;-)

Craig, James (IT)
2006-01-27, 02:32
Sounds like this bug:
"Now Playing" out of sync with what's really playing
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2510

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

kweller
2006-01-27, 03:05
In article
<315FA12EBC7B1441B0AF01EBAF46B2F405725B3F (AT) LNWEXMB33 (DOT) msad.ms.com>, James
(IT) Craig wrote:
> Sounds like this bug:
> "Now Playing" out of sync with what's really playing
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2510

It does thanks James. The difference is I'm on 6.2 and Windows but I
voted for it anyway (why do all the bugs I want fixed have so few
votes?!)

Kevin

Craig, James (IT)
2006-01-27, 03:12
Don't worry it does occur on 6.2/Windows!

I have added my vote - always forget about that, although I wonder if
anyone ever looks at the votes?

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

ajmitchell
2006-01-27, 10:03
Hi Kevin,

I am glad I am not the only one shouting about this potentially excellent feature. When I invested in SB's/slimserver rather than Roku the feature that sold me was synching. I don't regret this because its great to have multi-SB audio thru the house. However, the lack of silumltanous cross-fade is a real pain. Cross-fade is a wonderful feature for parties etc. Crossfade + synch => the ideal party format.

Now the problem is more acute, because with itunes 6.0.2 the itunes software will allow synching with multiple airport/airtunes - and I believe its also does crossfade natively in itunes. Therefore slimserver has fallen behind on this one.

I am not going to sell by Sbs yet, but I am keen this is fixed. Why isn't there more votes......I really don't think people know 1. how to vote 2. that this bug is there and 3. that this feature is an option.

In summary, I would be a very happy user if someone at slim devices fixes this! And I know I am not the only one saying this.

Thanks

Alex

tgoodman
2007-10-25, 21:02
I, too, crave the cross-fade with synched players. It just adds that extra something for parties! In fact, I bought 2 of these blasted things thinking it would FIX the crossfade I was lacking with one using Softsqueeze. Oh well... still love these things, but come on, SlimDevices, give us a decent synched crossfade!

JayNYC
2008-03-15, 21:12
anyone know if there is any update on this now that we are at SqueezeCenter v7.0? Crossfade + sync would make life much better.

(i just spent 45 minutes pulling my hair out as to why crossfade wasn't working until i found this thread)

Michaelwagner
2008-03-16, 04:56
The posting I made 2006-01-26, 18:00 is still, I believe, technically correct.

Cross-fading synched players requires a different synch method, which in turn requires (or so they said back then) a different network time base. I don't believe I saw network time base in the feature list for 7, and it's a complex addition to the protocol, not something they could just toss in casually.

wbree
2008-06-22, 05:00
I also would appreciate If there is a function that let the SB3 simultaneously make use of crossfade when play more than one player.

Wilco

awy
2008-07-02, 05:36
I admit that I have not tested it, but I expect that crossfade will come for free with the gapless-sync that is slated for 7.2. The gapless sync is working well by the way.

[And we do look at votes - it is one of the top criteria used when considering bugs for resolution in upcoming releases. But, of course, other things get considered too.]

aubuti
2008-07-02, 19:57
I admit that I have not tested it, but I expect that crossfade will come for free with the gapless-sync that is slated for 7.2. The gapless sync is working well by the way.
When did gapless sync come into 7.2? I'm running build 20910 of 7.2 from about two weeks ago and hadn't been paying that close attention when listening (or bothering to read the changelogs) to notice whether it was a short gap or truly gapless.

lazpete
2008-10-18, 11:06
well it seems that cross fade is not in 7.2 either. Just trying the new boom andthe SB 3 I and it doesn't Cr 055 fade and Sync at the same time. anyone having an idea on when we can expect this?

schiegl
2008-10-18, 11:18
Hi,

the "new streaming" engine supports this and is part of 7.3 which is not far away: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SoftwareRoadmap

kind regards,
Markus

Jonnio
2008-10-18, 11:18
I think crossfading while sync'd is in 7.3

ajmitchell
2008-10-19, 03:18
Awesome cannot wait.....well perhaps I can...I have waited about three years guess another few months won't hurt!

andyg
2008-10-19, 05:05
Why wait? Download it now and try it: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/

lazpete
2008-10-20, 20:19
Why wait? Download it now and try it: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/latest/7.3/
Will do asap

lazpete
2008-10-23, 23:11
Installed 7.3 - 23652, and just wanted to confirm that crossfade and synchronised players works like a dream!

ajmitchell
2008-10-24, 08:43
Awesome, well done whomever worked on this....I think I will wait a couple of weeks for the official product just in case itunesupdater and lazysearch don't work in the preview version.....but its great to hear it basically works!!!