PDA

View Full Version : MusicMagic Mixer Analysis Tag

joek
2006-01-24, 05:15
I am new to MMM and was wondering what most people did with the analysis and fingerprint information. Do you place it in the mp3 file as a tag or let MMM write it to a separate file?

The tests I've done show that MMM is friendly to the mp3 file when placing information in the tag. I was succussfully able to remove the MMM tag informaton from the mp3 file and it was no different from the original.

For testing I used hexdump -C and diff to verify before and after results from MMM analysis and fingerprinting.

Thanks!

smst
2006-01-24, 05:47
on 2006-01-24 12:15 joek said the following:
> The tests I've done show that MMM is friendly to the mp3 file when
> placing information in the tag. I was succussfully able to remove the
> MMM tag informaton from the mp3 file and it was no different from
> the original.

I had problems with multiple tags in Ogg Vorbis, which I believe was
down to MMM. If I had, for example, two ARTIST tags, after writing MMM
data to the file I had just one. (I'm fairly sure nothing else touched
the tags, and the affected tag names always appeared first in each file,
followed by MMM data, followed by other tags.)

MMM may have fixed this problem; I reported it to them last year but I
don't know if they reproduced it. To be sure, I'd recommend running the
tests again with multiple values -- but I think with mp3 you can't do
that anyway, so you may have no worries. I didn't run such tests
beforehand and, 10,000 tracks later (some percentage of which may have
had multi-value tags, but I don't know which ones) I wish I had!

--
Steve Tregidgo

Bart
2006-01-24, 05:54
Do you place it in the mp3 file as a tag or let MMM write it to a separate file?
At first I did not let it write to the file, I kept the analysis in it's database. After 6 months or so I began to save the analysis into the file on newly added tracks but I have not yet gone back and saved it on the majority of tracks that I first analysed. I think it is safe enough to do this now, I just haven't got round to it.
Note that there was an issue with one beta where it analysed incorrectly, this was corrected within a few days but some people had to back out their changes - I guess the lesson is not to rely on betas with your live data!

joek
2006-01-24, 06:35
BTW, I used MMM utility to remove the MMM analysis and fingerprint information from mp3 files. You can also use it to determine which mp3 files have analysis and fingerprint information by typing:

ID3Cleanup0.1.7 -test -removemm

The command option -test will not make any changes to your mp3 files, but just report the results.

The utility also determined one of my mp3 files had a bad tag, so I fixed it with the utility.