PDA

View Full Version : Problem with WinXP?

MarkH
2006-01-24, 00:52
Before I left for vacation at the end of December, I had Slim Server 6.5.x working just fine with SoftSqueeze 2.2. I tried to use it again today and now find Slimserver no longer works. The only difference in my system from three weeks ago are the latest Microsoft WinXP Pro security updates, and I'm wondering if somehow they are interfering with Slim Server.

Slim Server starts ok, but when a SoftSqueeze client tries to connect, it causes the Slim Server service to stop. It will not start again unless I close the client application trying to access it (either local or remote).

I also tried this with Slim Server 6.2.1, 6.2.2, as well as the latest version of 6.5.x, all with the same result. I also tried it with SoftSqueeze 2.3 and 2.2. Same thing.

Anyone have similar experience with WinXP Pro? Any ideas?

ceejay
2006-01-24, 01:04
I'm using Win XP Pro SP2, patched up to date, and am not having any issues. Might the Windows Firewall have got turned on at some point in this process?

Ceejay

MarkH
2006-01-24, 14:20
No, that's not it. The firewall service isn't even running.

This feels strangely like the problem I had with my HP scanner not being able to be accessed over the LAN after installing SP2. Had to change some security settings to get it to work again (even HP didn't know how to get it to work again, but thank goodness for the Internet).

It feels like some kind of permission thing, like perhaps Windows doesn't think the client has permission to access the server. But would that cuase the server to stop? Grrrr. I hate Windows.

notanatheist
2006-01-26, 00:22
Grrrr. I hate Windows.

How could I not comment on that? You mention not using the MS Firewall but are you using any other software firewall such as sNorton Internet Shitcurity or McCrappy? Zonealarm? Reboot the SB and be sure it's getting an internal IP and not a 169?

MarkH
2006-01-26, 16:39
How could I not comment on that? You mention not using the MS Firewall but are you using any other software firewall such as sNorton Internet Shitcurity or McCrappy? Zonealarm? Reboot the SB and be sure it's getting an internal IP and not a 169?
I already tried turning off all the antivirisu/firewall stuff. No difference. I don't believe the issue is access to the server. The problem seems to be that once a connection is made between client and server, the server stops.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-26, 17:16
The problem seems to be that once a connection is made between client and server, the server stops.
As in, crashes?

If so, go to the event log and tell us what the crash information is.

MarkH
2006-01-26, 22:45
As in, crashes?

If so, go to the event log and tell us what the crash information is.

No, it didn't crash. It just stopped. If the client is shut down, the server can be restarted. If the client is still trying to connect, the server tries to restart, but just remains in that state forever without actually starting.

But as strange as this problem began, it now seems to have resolved itself. I downloaded today's rev, and all is well again. Maybe I'll never know what the real problem was.

MarkH
2006-01-27, 10:32
Last night I reported that the latest build (1/26) of 6.5b1 worked on my system. It did not exhibit the problem I originally started this thread with.

Today I downloaded the 1/27 version, which I noticed was only 9MB (instead of 14MB), and that didn't work at all. Wouldn't even start.

So I loaded in the 1/26 version of 6.2.2, and I again experienced my origianl problem of the client causing the server to stop.

I then reloaded the 1/26 version of 6.5b1 and everything works fine again (except there is no web interface for the server).

I have not tried the 1/27 build of 6.2.2, yet.

tedfroop
2006-01-27, 14:39
This may sound a bit out there but - Run MSconfig. Go to the "Startup" section. Uncheck any apps that were recently installed or that are starting in the tray that you don't need.

I have had problems before with too many startup items and one of them conflicts with something else during the boot and no errors are displayed.

If you are willing, shut down all but Slimserver and see if it works normaly. If it does add only the items you need back (testing as you go).