PDA

View Full Version : Trouble streaming WAV files to Nokia 770

dhearst
2006-01-23, 16:50
I've been able to make a connection from my Nokia 770 Audio player to my SlimServer using <my slimserver IP>:9000/stream.mp3. Then, if I use the SlimServer's web interface to play an MP3 file, everything works great.

However, if I choose to play a WAV file (most of my audio stored as WAV files...) the Nokia 770's Audio player appears to go through the motions of buffering the stream, but no matter how long I wait, I never get any audio playback. Is this a Wi-Fi bandwidth issue? Does the Nokia 770's Audio player have trouble streaming raw audio files (I know it can play them off the memory card)? Anything else I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

David

Michaelwagner
2006-01-23, 17:28
if I use the SlimServer's web interface to play an MP3 file, everything works great.

However, if I choose to play a WAV file (most of my audio stored as WAV files...) the Nokia 770's Audio player appears to go through the motions of buffering the stream, but no matter how long I wait, I never get any audio playback. Is this a Wi-Fi bandwidth issue?

That seems unlikely, since it would eventually play even with a bandwidth issue.

Does the Nokia 770's Audio player have trouble streaming raw audio files (I know it can play them off the memory card)

You might find this description helpful:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RemoteStreaming

Note that the description is mostly worded in terms of mp3s. I know some other players can play some other things besides mp3s, but I'm not aware of anywhere the combinations and permutations are listed. In particular, the stream is called stream.mp3 even when what is being sent is not an mp3. I don't know how software players figure this confusing situation out.

kdf
2006-01-23, 17:38
Quoting Michaelwagner <Michaelwagner.22453z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Note that the description is mostly worded in terms of mp3s. I know
> some other players can play some other things besides mp3s, but I'm not
> aware of anywhere the combinations and permutations are listed. In
> particular, the stream is called stream.mp3 even when what is being
> sent is not an mp3. I don't know how software players figure this
> confusing situation out.

using stream.mp3 identifies the client as an HTTP client, supporting
only mp3. The design is that any client using stream.mp3 will be sent
mp3, whether native or transcoded from other formats.

Softsqueeeze uses the slimproto connection to slimserver, and thus
identifies itself as client of its own kind, supporting WAV, FLAC and
MP3.

There are enhancements filed to support the use of urls like
"stream.wav" and I believe one bug report sayign that stream.mp3 may
still send out wav formatted files when they should not. This is
probably due to the fallback case where the server will still try to
send the raw file if bitrate limiting fails.

-kdf

Michaelwagner
2006-01-23, 17:45
So, kdf, how does the user specify transcoding for the non-mp3 music he wants to play? Or is this already done for him?

kdf
2006-01-23, 18:04
Quoting Michaelwagner <Michaelwagner.22461b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> So, kdf, how does the user specify transcoding for the non-mp3 music he
> wants to play? Or is this already done for him?

server settings -> file types (UI for convert.conf)

default install has everything set up for most cases. Due to
licensing, users will have to install their own copy of LAME.

FYI, since SliMP3 is mp3 only, playback is handled in very much the same way.

-kdf