PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Wireless problem but not SB2 or SB1; wired ok

ajmitchell
2006-01-23, 11:01
Hi All,

I have removed 2 Sb1s from my system to connect a new Sb3. Trouble is the Sb3 will not connect

2x Sb2s are currently running perfectly wirelessly.
new SB3 will find wireless network (netgear unprotected no firewall) and auto-asigns IP and finds source but will not connect to slimserver.

If I change the router to a friends BT box then the squeezebox goes one step further it finds the squeezenetwork but will not connect to squeezeserver.

If I manually assign the IP's then it gets to the step saying "your set-up is complete" but then cannot find slimserver.

However one strange thing is that the auto-assigned IP is 169.254.159.9 or similar (no idea where this is from). In the past my Sb2 tried to connect thu this and could not (same problem) but factory reset got them to auto-assign an IP on my system 192.168.0.2 etc

My setup is
Router - Netgear 624 (B and G no turbo and no firewall port exemptions appear to be in place)
Software. Slimserver 6.51b running for a couple of months (5064 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252). Sorry I know this is now out-of-date but I had this working fine before this problem and am reluctant to change until 6.2.2 comes out.

Itunes is v6.
WindowsXP Sp2 + updates
Files all in local drive c:\my music (typical itunes place)
Files. All Mp3s various bit rates from 128 to 320.

danco
2006-01-24, 06:03
The 169.254... address is a sign that the SB is not getting an address from the router.

It is a standard (not just SB) fall-back when it can't get a proper DHCP address.

Sorry I can't help further on why this is happening.

ajmitchell
2006-01-24, 10:14
I've moved the SB3 right next to the router to ensure its not a signal strength issue...no difference.

Would there be any merit in assigning a security level to on WEP64 etc on the router and trying that way?

I can connect wired, and I tried copying the settings that come up under wired mode into wireless, but no luck.

If the Sb3 is faulty I need to know, but I don't want to get another and be in the same situation!

R

alex

nicketynick
2006-01-24, 10:22
Sounds to me like you're having the router compatibility issue with SB3 that a lot of folks are. Check the RouterStatus page in the Wiki, and check bug# 2512 - tech support tells me that the fix for this Priority1 bug should address these issues.

snarlydwarf
2006-01-24, 10:28
Would there be any merit in assigning a security level to on WEP64 etc on the router and trying that way?

If your router (and other devices on your network) can do WPA, that is much much more secure than WEP.

Are you running encryption right now? You may want to (BRIEFLY!) try turning it off on the router and the SB and seeing if that works: that should help isolate things a bit.

If that works, turn encryption back on and then be very very careful entering the key on the SB: yes, it's a pain in the butt without a real keyboard and be careful of hidden spaces at the end of the key:

'ThisIsMyPassphrase ' and 'ThisIsMyPassphrase' look almost identical on the display but aren't. (I guess the same thing goes for the web interface on the router...)

The counter-intuitive ADD is the delete key.

I can connect wired, and I tried copying the settings that come up under wired mode into wireless, but no luck.

You may (probably?) need to reset the router when moving a device from wireless to wired or the other way around. This may be especially true with the SB, since it does use the same MAC ID on both the wired and wireless interfaces. Some routers have problems when things move. They remember the MACs they know and assume they will always be either wireless or wired. Probably in some weird attempt to squash loops (where a machine is connected to both networks, which is a Bad Thing), it seems that some get very upset at things moving.

Thump553
2006-01-24, 10:40
My brother in law had the same problem with his Netgear router. We fixed by disabling the "extended" features (I forget exactly what they are called, but increased speed and range of router I think) of the router. It then worked like a charm.

ajmitchell
2006-01-25, 06:49
thanks to all that have replied so far.

Thanks Nick, I was about the call foul about your router/bug suggestion but then I checked the long desription at http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2512 and it does sound identical to my issue. The thing I couldn't understand is why Sb3 and not Sb2 when they are meant to be internally identical?

anyhow I will try to turn off all adv modes incl. wireless G and go to B alone => basically I only use my network for squeezeboxes at the moment.

I also notice 6.2.2 is out (?today) so I can try this too, although I think the bu 2512 isn't due for a fix until 6.5

R

Alex

ajmitchell
2006-01-25, 11:53
Dear all,

Thanks for your help, got the dam thing working after work today!

Tried putting in security on router : no difference
Tried limiting to wireless G or B mode:no difference
Tied advanced wireless settings: disable super108 features: fixed!!

My router is Netgear WGT624 - it does not appear on the list of the WIKI router page. I strongly suggest it is added - I can confirm the WPA security works on SB2 and Sb3 now!

Phew I was thinking of the hassle of returning these and going with the new itunes multisync airport - glad I didn't have to.

MrC
2006-01-25, 13:27
My router is Netgear WGT624 - it does not appear on the list of the WIKI router page. I strongly suggest it is added - I can confirm the WPA security works on SB2 and Sb3 now!

Glad to hear its working for you. Users are encouraged to add their own wiki entrires - since you know best the details of your situation, please add your entry, as others will benefit.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-25, 15:05
The thing I couldn't understand is why Sb3 and not Sb2 when they are meant to be internally identical?

*except* for the wireless card, which was different in some early SB2s.