PDA

View Full Version : Another Broken Networking Variant: Mac OS X, SB 2, Direct Ethernet Connection



tggreen
2006-01-22, 18:40
Help!

My Squeezebox 2 was working fine earlier this morning. Then I paused it a few hours while I watched an NFL game. During that time, my Mac went into sleep mode. After the name was over, I woke up my Mac, and restarted the Squeezebox. The Squeezebox claimed that the Ethernet appeared to be disconnected. I have checked the connection, and I have checked that the Mac is running. The Ethernet connection seems to be fine as far as I can tell. No matter what I do, the Squeezebox now claims that the Ethernet cable is disconnected. Any ideas?

danco
2006-01-23, 01:06
"No matter what I do" !

You may have tried these already but how about

Logging out of the Mac and in again,

restarting the Mac,

running through setup procedure on the SB again,

resetting the SB to factory default.

Sacrificing a goat to the spirits of ethernet (well, you did say No Matter What I Do).

bsquare
2006-01-23, 01:27
Help!

My Squeezebox 2 was working fine earlier this morning. Then I paused it a few hours while I watched an NFL game. During that time, my Mac went into sleep mode. After the name was over, I woke up my Mac, and restarted the Squeezebox. The Squeezebox claimed that the Ethernet appeared to be disconnected. I have checked the connection, and I have checked that the Mac is running. The Ethernet connection seems to be fine as far as I can tell. No matter what I do, the Squeezebox now claims that the Ethernet cable is disconnected. Any ideas?

does the SB2 have a static IP or are you using the Mac to provide one via DHCP? If the latter, were you using Internet connection sharing (in System Prefs) to make the Mac a DHCP server? connection sharing often doesn't survive a sleep/wake cycle.


bb

tggreen
2006-01-23, 06:52
I've tried everything you mentioned except resetting to factory defaults and sacrificing an animal. The setup procedure doesn't get very far. It basically halts once it claims it can't find anything connected to the ethernet.


"No matter what I do" !

You may have tried these already but how about

Logging out of the Mac and in again,

restarting the Mac,

running through setup procedure on the SB again,

resetting the SB to factory default.

Sacrificing a goat to the spirits of ethernet (well, you did say No Matter What I Do).

tggreen
2006-01-23, 08:06
I'm using DHCP with a static IP address on the Mac-side. I'll get back to you on whether connection sharing is turned on. However, I'm not sure it matters. The SB is acting like it never gets to the IP protocol layer.



does the SB2 have a static IP or are you using the Mac to provide one via DHCP? If the latter, were you using Internet connection sharing (in System Prefs) to make the Mac a DHCP server? connection sharing often doesn't survive a sleep/wake cycle.


bb

bsquare
2006-01-23, 20:53
I'm using DHCP with a static IP address on the Mac-side. I'll get back to you on whether connection sharing is turned on. However, I'm not sure it matters. The SB is acting like it never gets to the IP protocol layer.

what you are describing sounds like the SB can't get an address. if your Mac is not configured to distribute addresses with DHCP then that is likely your problem. Try configuring a static IP on the SB in the same subnet as the IP on the Mac as a test.


bb

tggreen
2006-01-24, 07:54
I'm really confused. How is it that my SB can find an IP address through DHCP in the morning but not in the afternoon? Does the configuration change based on what time it is?


what you are describing sounds like the SB can't get an address. if your Mac is not configured to distribute addresses with DHCP then that is likely your problem. Try configuring a static IP on the SB in the same subnet as the IP on the Mac as a test.


bb

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 08:26
I'm really confused. How is it that my SB can find an IP address through DHCP in the morning but not in the afternoon? Does the configuration change based on what time it is?
I don't know much about macs, but yesterday someone wrote:

connection sharing often doesn't survive a sleep/wake cycle.
Any chance that's the reason?

And on the animal sacrifice thing, try a fruit. Sometimes a snack from a distance does wonders for my problem resolution skills :-)

As for the disconnected thing, I don't think the SB can really tell if the cable is unplugged. When it says "Ethernet appears disconnected", I think it means it's not seeing any kind of TCP connectivity (not electrical connectivity).

Are you running a hub? Or a straight wire into your Mac? Because even a functioning hub should be enough to turn the message into "Can't connect to Slimserver". I just tried this on my Windows box. A working hub and a down Slimserver gets you a different message than the one you're getting. So check your hub (if you have one) and check your mac for ethernet problems after a sleep (if you don't have a hub).

Skunk
2006-01-24, 08:30
Sometimes a snack from a distance does wonders for my problem resolution skills :-)

Or take a bath, like archimedes.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 09:47
Just don't go running through the streets, naked :-)

tggreen
2006-01-24, 19:34
It could be. I'll try that next. Thanks for the information about the error message. Now I know I need a TCP connection before the machine will see the Ethernet.

I'm not using any hub. It's a straight wire using the Ethernet cable that came in the box with the SB2.


I don't know much about macs, but yesterday someone wrote:

Any chance that's the reason?

And on the animal sacrifice thing, try a fruit. Sometimes a snack from a distance does wonders for my problem resolution skills :-)

As for the disconnected thing, I don't think the SB can really tell if the cable is unplugged. When it says "Ethernet appears disconnected", I think it means it's not seeing any kind of TCP connectivity (not electrical connectivity).

Are you running a hub? Or a straight wire into your Mac? Because even a functioning hub should be enough to turn the message into "Can't connect to Slimserver". I just tried this on my Windows box. A working hub and a down Slimserver gets you a different message than the one you're getting. So check your hub (if you have one) and check your mac for ethernet problems after a sleep (if you don't have a hub).

tggreen
2006-01-24, 19:37
Don't give me any ideas. I'll try almost anything to help my ailing social life. ;-)


Just don't go running through the streets, naked :-)

Skunk
2006-01-24, 19:49
I'll try almost anything to help my ailing social life. ;-)

Then just get rid of the squeezebox. It's addicting, and girls don't really like 'listening', or being shushed especially ;)

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 20:11
I'm not using any hub. It's a straight wire using the Ethernet cable that came in the box with the SB2.
Like I said before, I don't know much about fruit. But in a windows world, you need a cross-over cable (which is not what ships with the squeezebox) if you want to connect a squeezebox directly to a computer without a hub.

It may be that Mac's automatically cross their port over when they detect no hub at the other end (this is theoretically possible from the signals present and some devices know how to do this), but I'm pretty sure squeezeboxes don't know how to do this.

But you say this was working earlier, with the same cable, right? Then I guess Macs do know how to automatically cross over. ... I'm stumped.

tggreen
2006-01-27, 20:09
* I have tried turning internet connection sharing on, as suggested.

* I have tried switching to a different Ethernet cable.

Neither of them are working. I have tried changing the setup on the Squeezebox. When the thing declares that it can't find an Ethernet connection, it refuses to let me change any of the settings. It sits there and does nothing when I try to switch it to a static IP address. It never responds to the request.

Any other ideas?

I am just so frustrated with this product. I paid $250 for this thing. I just want it to produce sound when I press the "play" button. Why do I have to mess with this Ethernet connection at all? Why can't digital audio players be based on something really reliable like USB? Do we really need for everything to be Client-Server so that it can act just as flaky as Yahoo Messenger (or any other client-server architecture for that matter)?

Michaelwagner
2006-01-27, 23:51
Probably the right next step is to contact Slim's support team.

support at slimdevices dot com

They have the ability to help you debug the problem and more experience than we here have.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-28, 00:13
I am just so frustrated with this product. I just want it to produce sound when I press the "play" button.
I hear you. I'm sure it's frustrating. It may not be much consolation, but for most people, myself included, it is exactly that simple. Well, except for the wireless ones, but that's the state of wireless these days.


Why do I have to mess with this Ethernet connection at all? Why can't digital audio players be based on something really reliable like USB?

Let's leave aside for a second the fact that USB isn't all that reliable either.

Lots of digital audio players *are* based on USB. Creative makes a number of them. Other people do too. Hercules. Turtle Beach.

For the most part, they are also quite a bit cheaper than a squeezebox, because they can suck power out of the USB connection and because USB is a simpler, less powerful protocol which needs less hardware to operate it. So if USB isn't a limitation to you, why not buy one of those?

For me, and for I imagine most of the people on this list, USB would be a non-starter because of it's restrictions - 12 (or is it 16?) foot maximum cable length without repeaters. Point to point technology. Really no technology for building it into walls.

So for us, ethernet is/was *the* distinct advantage. You can wire up the house with it, most of us already had for other reasons, whole house synchronized audio, etc. All the things you can do with ethernet you can't do with USB.

But if USB is enough for you, go for it!

Be warned, though. Most of the USB based ones don't sound as good as a squeezebox.

Skunk
2006-01-28, 00:20
Why can't digital audio players be based on something really reliable like USB?

Most people enjoy the fact that there are no wires. Audiophiles find it sounds better than most USB solutions. There are lots of external usb soundcards, if convenience is the bottom line for you. They are not all created equal, however. There is also a seperate learning curve for USB audio, updating drivers and whatnot. You should be asking 'why didn't mac make the airport express sound as good as the squeezebox'...

EDIT: sorry to reiterate you're comments Mark. Your post wasn't up yet when I replied. EDIT2: Sorry I called you Mark, Michael ;)

dean
2006-01-28, 10:22
On Jan 27, 2006, at 7:09 PM, tggreen wrote:

>
> * I have tried turning internet connection sharing on, as suggested.
>
> * I have tried switching to a different Ethernet cable.
>
> Neither of them are working. I have tried changing the setup on the
> Squeezebox. When the thing declares that it can't find an Ethernet
> connection, it refuses to let me change any of the settings.
That sounds like a bad cable or some other ethernet hardware problem.

Try replacing the cable. (Macs of recent vintage shouldn't require a
crossover cable, but it couldn't hurt.)

If that doesn't help, do get in touch with support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com,
this configuration should work easily, in fact I have mine set up
this way quite frequently for development.

-dean