PDA

View Full Version : Same track in multiple albums



DougP
2006-01-22, 12:34
Hi all,

Had a look at the forums and could not find info I need - anybody know how to get the -same- track to appear in multiple albums? Tried adding multiple names to ALBUM tag, but Slim got confused. I know I can rip n copies of the track but that seems wasteful...I have 1200 CDs ripped to FLAC so would like to keep storage needs as low as poss...

Thanks.

adhawkins
2006-01-22, 13:16
Hi,

In article <DougP.221x0n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
DougP<DougP.221x0n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Had a look at the forums and could not find info I need - anybody know
> how to get the -same- track to appear in multiple albums? Tried adding
> multiple names to ALBUM tag, but Slim got confused. I know I can rip n
> copies of the track but that seems wasteful...I have 1200 CDs ripped to
> FLAC so would like to keep storage needs as low as poss...

I wouldn't have thought that removing the duplicate tracks from 1200 CDs
would make a whole lot of difference as far storage requirements goes.
Storage is cheap (relatively) so I wouldn't bother personally.

Andy

pfarrell
2006-01-22, 13:41
Andy Hawkins wrote:
> DougP<DougP.221x0n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>>Had a look at the forums and could not find info I need - anybody know
>>how to get the -same- track to appear in multiple albums? Tried adding
>>multiple names to ALBUM tag, but Slim got confused. I know I can rip n
>>copies of the track but that seems wasteful...I have 1200 CDs ripped to
>>FLAC so would like to keep storage needs as low as poss...

>
> I wouldn't have thought that removing the duplicate tracks from 1200 CDs
> would make a whole lot of difference as far storage requirements goes.
> Storage is cheap (relatively) so I wouldn't bother personally.

To answer the question, the SlimServer will follow links,
so you can create a Windows link or *nix softlink from
one directory to another to save the space and duplication.

As Andy says, I think the actual space saving it going to be
trivial, unless you have lots of "best of" "greatest hits" and
similar collections.

This raises a question from a week or two ago. If the songs are
identical bits, then you can trivially make a link.
But if they are different bits, how do you tell which is
"better"?

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

DougP
2006-01-22, 15:12
Pat wrote
"To answer the question, the SlimServer will follow links,
so you can create a Windows link or *nix softlink from
one directory to another to save the space and duplication.

As Andy says, I think the actual space saving it going to be
trivial, unless you have lots of "best of" "greatest hits" and
similar collections.

This raises a question from a week or two ago. If the songs are
identical bits, then you can trivially make a link.
But if they are different bits, how do you tell which is
"better"?"

Pat - The link only gives the original album info -> slimserver follows tags not directories. Any other ideas?

PS. I know storage is cheap, I just want to understand the principle.

pfarrell
2006-01-22, 15:33
DougP wrote:
> Pat wrote
> "To answer the question, the SlimServer will follow links,
> so you can create a Windows link or *nix softlink from
> one directory to another to save the space and duplication.
>
> Pat - The link only gives the original album info -> slimserver follows
> tags not directories. Any other ideas?

I haven't checked lately, The SlimServer reads the tags from
files and remembers where it found them. So if the tag
has a different set of data, it will display that. Tags are
truth is the concept.

But I usually navigate my collection using the
brouse -> music folder -> genre -> artist -> album
structure and it works fine for me.

Long term I want the SlimServer to not throw away the database
and use the information in it. Then you can fix the database
to say whatever you want. Tags are a handy first approximation,
but are too simplistic to solve real library management
issues.


--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html