PDA

View Full Version : Albums

Lectrician
2006-01-22, 09:42
Can someone explain to me briefly how the system works?

My current music collection is arranged with directories - For example, I have a folder called ABBA containing all my abba tracks. Any tracks by an arist/band that I only have one of (one hit wonders and the like) are in the root of my music folder.

Does this server software recognise the folders as albums??

I havn't looked at the software yet, is there a cross fader?? Is this even possible accross a network??

Michaelwagner
2006-01-22, 09:54
Thre's an excellent beginners guide here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Your music directory structure, while unusual, will work provided that you use a tagged format for music (like mp3). Slimserver can look inside the file for the tags to find out who sang the song, etc.

It's more usual to make a slightly more complex directory structure. Here is one example.

directory called music
subdirectories of music are artist
subdirectories of artist are album
individual tracks are in this subdirectory.

For compilations, many people use "various artists" as the artist name.

The advantage of this scheme is, if you drop a song in that has no tags (perhaps a .wav file), slimserver will try to infer the artist and album name from the directory names.

But that's just one idea. Slimserver can accomodate many different schemes. Mostly it's important to be clear and consistant.

Cross-fading is possible with the new SB3s, and was possible with the SB2s as well, if you're looking to buy used. SB1s and the original SLiMP3 (hard to get these days) couldn't cross-fade.

Hope this helps.

Lectrician
2006-01-22, 10:19
Thanks - thats great.

With the software, I assume you can either change tracks with the remote and the actuall slim box, or with a laptop/pc??

If my music is stored on a network NAS drive, do I have to leave the computer with the software on?

Michaelwagner
2006-01-22, 10:29
With the software, I assume you can either change tracks with the remote and the actuall slim box, or with a laptop/pc??

If my music is stored on a network NAS drive, do I have to leave the computer with the software on?
Both statements are correct.