PDA

View Full Version : Running Two Slim Server names in one machine

agentsmith
2006-01-21, 18:20
Can I run two copies of SlimServer with 2 different names on the same server?

My library is too big and I want to have be able to seperate classical and non-Classical, for instance.

Do I need 2 IP addresses on the same machine?

I dont really want to have to dedicate 2 machines.

pfarrell
2006-01-21, 18:46
agentsmith wrote:
> Can I run two copies of SlimServer with 2 different names on the same
> server?

I would expect it to work fine. The "name" is not all that important.
You will have to set the port numbers on one to separate numbers,
say 9001 and 3484, which will require some appropriate voodoo on the
squeezebox.

> My library is too big and I want to have be able to seperate classical
> and non-Classical, for instance.

What is too big?
I can see more problems with having two servers that I see fixes.
Two programs using memory, etc.

> Do I need 2 IP addresses on the same machine?

That isn't hard to do, it is called 'dual homing"
How you do it depends on your OS and a few other things.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

jhenderson010759
2006-01-21, 18:50
I have a slightly different request. I'd like to see a single instance of SlimServer be capable of dealing with multiple databases. My wife and I listen to different types of music, as do my kids. My music is in FLAC format; My kids use MP3s.

It would be deluxe if one could dynamically select between multiple databases on the same server (perhaps on a user basis), so that I wouldn't have to sift through music by the Beastie Boys and my kids wouldn't have to sift through the Baroque era.

SlimServer could be modified to permit specification of multiple music and playlist folders - one per user. Then, when a user logs into SlimServer, the appropriate database would automatically be used.

I think that this approach would satisfy my needs - and those of many others.

Jim

ceejay
2006-01-22, 01:15
I have a slightly different request. I'd like to see a single instance of SlimServer be capable of dealing with multiple databases. My wife and I listen to different types of music, as do my kids. My music is in FLAC format; My kids use MP3s.

It would be deluxe if one could dynamically select between multiple databases on the same server (perhaps on a user basis), so that I wouldn't have to sift through music by the Beastie Boys and my kids wouldn't have to sift through the Baroque era.

SlimServer could be modified to permit specification of multiple music and playlist folders - one per user. Then, when a user logs into SlimServer, the appropriate database would automatically be used.

I think that this approach would satisfy my needs - and those of many others.

Jim This has come up before (of course!). And I have similar issues, especially when Random Play keeps picking up my kids' music for me!

However, two contrary thoughts: first, having separate databases would work if there were no overlap between different users' tastes, but this seems unlikely. And you really don't want to be keeping several copies of half of your music (granted, duplicating the music files would be a fairly dumb implementation of your request ... however, if you kept all the duplication in the database with only one set of underlying files, you'd still be in for some work in deciding to add music this library but not that one).

Second thought... one thing I've noticed by "forcing" my kids to at least see what is in "my" music is that they are playing some of it! They are definitely listening to much more classical music now. And, dare I say it, I've even found a few things in their collection that I quite like. Our minds are being broadened, you could say.

An alternative approach, which has been suggested in a variety of ways, has been to permit the use of an "owner" tag and then to add multiple level browsing capability which allowed you to browse first by "owner" and then by whatever else took your fancy. This turned out to be a potential positive side-effect of some enhancements proposed a little while ago - bugs http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2700 and http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2701 would do this!

Ceejay

Michaelwagner
2006-01-22, 09:01
I agree with Pat. 2 copies of slimserver is a bigger headache than 1 with a merged library.

If your desires are for totally different music, you can search by genre, i.e. classical or pop, and keep them separate that way.

Alternatively, you can wait for Ceejay's enhancement requests to be implemented (probably half a year or so) and just live with it until then.

In the mean time, if you make 2 different subdirectories, to keep your music straight, you can point one slimserver at both. This preserves your options for the future. If you *really* find one slimserver unwieldy, you could convert to 2 temporarily and convert back when the enhancements are implemented.

You can (already today) point 1 slimserver at 2 subdirectories fairly easily (with symlinks or windows shortcuts).